Ayr United's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Ayr's next permanent manager?  

290 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Central Belt Caley said:

If it’s not Yogi then we really need to have a serious discussion on how that man gets back into football 

Probably by lowering his standards to where they belong, which is the bottom two tiers.

Despite the obvious improvement under him, we haven’t actually made up any ground on the teams we need to catch so this may also be weighing on his mind. If we got relegated he’d be the last person in a long list of folk who would be getting the blame, but it still wouldn’t look particularly good on his CV. 

On the flip side, if we stay up then it’s not the worst job in the world. We have a few quid and would presumably be challenging at the right end of the table next season. The relocation effort is continuing apace as well, so it’s a potentially decent project in the medium to long term. That being said, there’s absolutely no doubt Ayr is a better job, and what I’ve said above is all pretty contingent on getting out of bother this year which is certainly not a given. 

15 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

McCall has claimed over and over to love 2 clubs in his time in management - Ayr and Thistle. He left one of those clubs for the other and he'd have left us years back if Dundee offered him the job at the time. Any suggestion he'd have any loyalty to Clyde is laughable.

He wouldn’t do it out of loyalty, it’s just maybe too early in the job to jump ship, end of the season might suit him better. 

From a competent, solving a lot of problems perspective - Ian McCall

From the usual suspect list - John Robertson/Neil Lennon

From the OF media pushing list - Charlie Mulgrew

For the sheer explosion it would cause in the Championship forum - Dougie Imrie 

Don't claim to know how things operate behind the scenes at Ayr but from the outside I don't really get the impression McCall would be that keen on working under the structure at Ayr. Mathie obviously very involved with everything, McGeady's role seems quite ambigious and I think has potential to cause tension with a certain type of character, and a 'recruitment team' who seem to excel in signing nobodies from the National league.

It's been said numerous times but McCall's biggest strength is recruitment, mainly from his own network and getting in guys he has worked with. How well would he take to the club trying to get him to sign some left-back from Dorking Wanderers when he just wants to be given a budget and left alone to do his thing? He's as far from a 'Head Coach' as currently exists in Scotland. More broadly, I think that applies to most of the experienced managers, I think they'd be asking questions over how recruitment works. If I had to bet I'd guess it will be a relatively young (or at least inexperienced) manager who is happy to go along with the current set-up just so they get an opportunity.

Cue Ayr appointing Yogi or McCall...

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

2 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Don't claim to know how things operate behind the scenes at Ayr but from the outside I don't really get the impression McCall would be that keen on working under the structure at Ayr. Mathie obviously very involved with everything, McGeady's role seems quite ambigious and I think has potential to cause tension with a certain type of character, and a 'recruitment team' who seem to excel in signing nobodies from the National league.

It's been said numerous times but McCall's biggest strength is recruitment, mainly from his own network and getting in guys he has worked with. How well would he take to the club trying to get him to sign some left-back from Dorking Wanderers when he just wants to be given a budget and left along to do his thing? He's as far from a 'Head Coach' as currently exists in Scotland. More broadly, I think that applies to most of the experienced managers, I think they'd be asking questions over how recruitment works. If I had to bet I'd guess it will be a relatively young (or at least inexperienced) manager who is happy to go along with the current set-up just so they get an opportunity.

The club aren’t signing anyone over the head of the manager. Every signing we made was Bullen using data and analysis from our recruitment team that are actually closer to scouts. 

If anything, a larger scouting network would benefit McCall who only really operates within a small network in Scotland. 

10 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It's been said numerous times but McCall's biggest strength is recruitment, mainly from his own network and getting in guys he has worked with. How well would he take to the club trying to get him to sign some left-back from Dorking Wanderers when he just wants to be given a budget and left alone to do his thing? He's as far from a 'Head Coach' as currently exists in Scotland. More broadly, I think that applies to most of the experienced managers, I think they'd be asking questions over how recruitment works. If I had to bet I'd guess it will be a relatively young (or at least inexperienced) manager who is happy to go along with the current set-up just so they get an opportunity.

Mcgeady phones up clubs managers who have our players on loan, a kind on intermediary to see how they are getting on etc. While Ryan Stevenson was manager at Glenafton, McGeady phoned up asking why Lyal Holding wasn’t starting when he’s very highly rated. Stevensons reply was that he kept being played for the u18s every Friday and was playing 90 minutes and then expected to play on a Saturday for Glenafton :lol:

From the list:

Ian McCall - first choice imo, popular and I think he could do great things here if he was well backed and got his own players in.
Billy Dodds - avoid
Gary Bowyer - solid but uninspiring option, would probably keep us up and have us challenging at the right end of the table though. second choice
John Hughes - avoid
Aiden McGeady - massive no
Gary Naysmith - failed at this level before, doing well at Stenny but would avoid
Dick Campbell - wouldn't want the job anyway
Lee Johnson - wouldn't want it and is shite, avoid
Charlie Mulgrew - same as McGeady, stay well clear
Scott Brown - too many question marks over him, if it was the summer then maybe but would be far too big a risk now
Tam O'Ware - same as Brown
Rhys McCabe - wouldn't want the job anyway
Malky Mackay - massive racist. no thank you
Kevin Thomson - avoid, unproven above league 2
Tam Courts - third choice, think his style of play and shape wouldn't work with us but would still be an ok choice.

Is it true that Ian McCall once shat in a Safeway bag, and thats why he's called Jobby McCall?

I was told this by a guy I work with who himself worked closely with him for a long period of time a few years back now, I can't remember exactly when but it was back when Safeway was still kicking a ba' obviously, so must have been early 2000s or late 90s. Safeway by the way, in case we have any zoomers born in the 2000s lurking, was the supermarket that was rebranded to Morrisons. Caused quite a furore at the time that name change so it did, came about at a similar time as the name changes to Opal Fruits and Marathons so yer middle aged type peoples of the time (pre-Gammons we'll call them) were absolutely livid as you can imagine. Back then it wasn't the COVID vaccine that gave you cancer, it was these new green """"Starburst"""".

Edited by Jives Miguel

Just now, Jives Miguel said:

Is it true that Ian McCall once shat in a Safeway bag, and thats why he's called Jobby McCall?

I was told this by a guy I work with who himself worked closely with him for a long period of time a few years back now, I can't remember exactly when but it was back when Safeway was still kicking a ba' obviously, so must have been early 2000s or late 90s. Safeway by the way, in case we have any zoomers born in the 2000s lurking, was the supermarket that was rebranded to Morrisons. Caused quite a furore at the time that name change so it did, came about at a similar time as the name changes to Opal Fruits and Marathons so yer middle aged type peoples of the time (pre-Gammons we'll call them) were absolutely livid as you can imagine. Back then it wasn't the COVID vaccine that gave you cancer, it was these new green Starburst.

I thought he shat in Simon Stainrod's shoes?

3 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

I was told this by a guy I work with who himself worked closely with him for a long period of time a few years back now, I can't remember exactly when but it was back when Safeway was still kicking a ba' obviously, so must have been early 2000s or late 90s. Safeway by the way, in case we have any zoomers born in the 2000s lurking, was the supermarket that was rebranded to Morrisons. Caused quite a furore at the time that name change so it did, came about at a similar time as the name changes to Opal Fruits and Marathons so yer middle aged type peoples of the time (pre-Gammons we'll call them) were absolutely livid as you can imagine. Back then it wasn't the COVID vaccine that gave you cancer, it was these new green Starburst.

9 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

I was told this by a guy I work with who himself worked closely with him for a long period of time a few years back now, I can't remember exactly when but it was back when Safeway was still kicking a ba' obviously, so must have been early 2000s or late 90s. Safeway by the way, in case we have any zoomers born in the 2000s lurking, was the supermarket that was rebranded to Morrisons. Caused quite a furore at the time that name change so it did, came about at a similar time as the name changes to Opal Fruits and Marathons so yer middle aged type peoples of the time (pre-Gammons we'll call them) were absolutely livid as you can imagine. Back then it wasn't the COVID vaccine that gave you cancer, it was these new green """"Starburst"""".

He allegedly shat in Simon Stainrods shoe but it wasn’t actually him. He took the rap as it was in fact a different player who was about to leave full time football for a career in the police and it was thought the story would affect that. I’m sure people with some knowledge of Dundees squad in the early 90s will be able to work out who it is. 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

He allegedly shat in Simon Stainrods shoe but it wasn’t actually him. He took the rap as it was in fact a different player who was about to leave full time football for a career in the police and it was thought the story would affect that. I’m sure people with some knowledge of Dundees squad in the early 90s will be able to work out who it is. 

There's a man you want on your side when shit goes down.

He better get the trackies and baseball cap looked out.