Ayr United's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Ayr's next permanent manager?  

290 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

29 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Aye but then you won the league and ended up assembling a highly entertaining squad that got to a playoff final and narrowly lost on penalties. I’d take that over what we’ve been served up since he left any day of the week. 

We did that by spending beyond our means under our idiot megalomaniac ex-chairman, and getting lucky when Doolan came in and got the team to kick on when things had been drifting badly under McCall (who to be fair to him had a long injury list). We just squeezed into the final playoff spot on GD before the playoff chaos. 

McCall seems like a decent guy and is an interesting character, so I hope he doesn't end his managerial days at Clyde. I suppose if he did come back to you he'd quite likely keep you up - and if you went down, he'd probably get you back up out of L1. Would he be welcomed back though?

Edited by VictorOnopko

It would be daft for both McCabe and Ayr at this moment in time. McCabe would have to try work with a team that just does not suit how he wants to play and would inevitably lead to the status quo, he would need plenty of players in and out to do that, more of a close season job.

18 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Considering the circumstances he unceremoniously ditched you in, I'm surprised so many people are keen to see Ian McCall back.

There was a lot of emotion at the time but once you look beyond the fact that he left us sitting top of the league for Partick sitting bottom it wasn’t a strange move and you can sort of understand why he did it. 

His problem at Ayr was that we didn’t match his ambitions that summer and relied heavily on loan players to make up a squad. The ironic thing was that had he held on for a few months, David Smith joined the board and we began investing more in the squad. 

He has his limitations but I think he’s what we need right now. Even if it was only for 18 months. 

54 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Managers do daft things when made better offers. See Ian McCall and Ray McKinnon as examples. 

I don’t actually think McCabe would be in my top five picks though. Airdrie are the worst team I’ve seen this season and were easily ran over the top of. He might build something at another club when given more resources but I think he’d be huge gamble for us right now. 

Very much enjoying this reminder that Raymondo is the daftest of daft c***s… a lesson to all managers, everywhere.

Airdrie are not great… but surely that’s the point? McCabe currently has them sitting reasonably secure, on what must be the smallest budget in the league.

Said before the season started that I think he has a decent future; nothing has happened since to shift that view.

Just now, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Very much enjoying this reminder that Raymondo is the daftest of daft c***s… a lesson to all managers, everywhere.

Airdrie are not great… but surely that’s the point? McCabe currently has them sitting reasonably secure, on what must be the smallest budget in the league.

Said before the season started that I think he has a decent future; nothing has happened since to shift that view.

I think he’s doing well just now but I find a lot of managers don’t approach games against Airdrie all that well. We showed that when you sit off them they end up playing around in their own half. I think they’re okay in possession but they clearly want teams to try and press them high up so they can launch balls in behind for players to run onto. 

As also mentioned, I think he’d get the square root of f**k all out this squad. Bullen has already tried to make us a possession based team and we don’t have the players to do it. 

I agree that I think he’ll have a decent career but I think he needs to keep Airdrie up first and push them on. I can see a few teams overtaking them in the second half of this season. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think he’s doing well just now but I find a lot of managers don’t approach games against Airdrie all that well. We showed that when you sit off them they end up playing around in their own half. I think they’re okay in possession but they clearly want teams to try and press them high up so they can launch balls in behind for players to run onto. 

As also mentioned, I think he’d get the square root of f**k all out this squad. Bullen has already tried to make us a possession based team and we don’t have the players to do it. 

I agree that I think he’ll have a decent career but I think he needs to keep Airdrie up first and push them on. I can see a few teams overtaking them in the second half of this season. 

I’m not sure that just because Lee Bullen couldn’t make us a possession based team, doesn’t mean that an actual competent manager couldn’t…

15 minutes ago, KingBeastie said:

Joey Barton.  Just for the batshit mad headlines and fuddery.

He can get filed right in the veto bucket with Malky Mackay.

4 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Won trophies with Liverpool and Everton. He's out of the running for this job, having tragically passed away at only 46 from Lymphoma

Good to see this lad remembered.  I watched him and Alan Hansen playing in central defence together.  Saw him later with some Birmingham City mates and he was a level above the opposition strikers, at Championship level.  He had great support from Roy Keane, during his illness.

All I hope is that Ayr can get someone to cheer my mate up.  He comes round to watch the Friday games and is so fed up and still upset about that Falkirk Cup Game.  Vibes vs data.  I am going data and have told him it will be Tam Courts.

1 minute ago, graham24 said:

the new manager is meant to be in for the Kelty game so wait and see who it is 

A nice rushed appointment.

Its going to be Mulgrew isn’t it?