Ayr United's Next Permanent Manager

Who will be Ayr's next permanent manager?  

290 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

Anyone but that wee tosser Dodds. Have a feeling it won't be anyone in that list  - though if I'm wrong then it'll be Yogi.

Whoever it is, I think we'll need a stronger coaching team than LB had - maybe that was a big part of the problem?

Hopefully the new manager will have enough experience to explain to the board what he needs to be successful.

3 minutes ago, Highlandmagar said:

No Alan Archibald?

Currently assistant at Kilmarnock I think. I get the impression he’s not that fussed about a return to management unless it was Thistle. 

I wouldn’t say no in fairness. 

I’ve convinced myself McCall will leave Clyde for every job that’s come up since November but this one worries me the most. 

He seems to be having trouble getting players to drop down to L2 having indicated that he was going to be bringing in up to 7 players this window, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s getting frustrated.

2 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

He seems to be having trouble getting players to drop down to L2 having indicated that he was going to be bringing in up to 7 players this window, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s getting frustrated.

McCall would publicly gurn about lack of resources if he was in charge of Al-Hilal.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Currently assistant at Kilmarnock I think. I get the impression he’s not that fussed about a return to management unless it was Thistle. 

I wouldn’t say no in fairness. 

Thankfully, a return to Thistle isn't likely. 

36 minutes ago, Iain said:

I believe it was Ayr United chairman Dave Smith who once said "I could appoint Yogi Hughes as manager tomorrow and the Ayr United fans would throw me a parade down the High Street". Or words to that effect.

To be fair, that was before Dunfermline beat us to the punch by swooping and getting him signed up. And then having them relegated via the playoffs. Removing the, he’s been good before, maybe he’d be good again argument. 

Like a few names on that list, genuine fear we'll be stuck with Yogi. McCall coming back is my pick but, just can't see it happening. Real feeling we need a safe pair of experienced hands just now rather than a punt on a rookie or left field option. 

Last time around I liked the idea of Bartley and, hoped when he took up the QotS role we'd be able to poach him a few years down the line, sadly looks like he's a bust. Bullen was a pretty interesting appointment as well at the time, sadly it just hasn't worked out for a number of reasons.

19 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

I’ve convinced myself McCall will leave Clyde for every job that’s come up since November but this one worries me the most. 

If McCall applies for it and we don’t give him it, we should close the club 

I have a feeling that the McCall, Clyde redemption arc will be too strong for him though. Would he drop a club for his own gains? Absolutely but I have a feeling it is maybe too soon for him to leave. 

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

I have a feeling that the McCall, Clyde redemption arc will be too strong for him though.

McCall has history with half the clubs in the pyramid. He's got no ties to the sex pest caravan other than a contract. The lure of having a real office with double glazing again might well be enough.

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

If McCall applies for it and we don’t give him it, we should close the club 

I have a feeling that the McCall, Clyde redemption arc will be too strong for him though. Would he drop a club for his own gains? Absolutely but I have a feeling it is maybe too soon for him to leave. 

I can’t believe I’m consoling myself over the idea of Ian McCall being sold the dream of ‘the Clyde story’ but here I am!

McCall has claimed over and over to love 2 clubs in his time in management - Ayr and Thistle. He left one of those clubs for the other and he'd have left us years back if Dundee offered him the job at the time. Any suggestion he'd have any loyalty to Clyde is laughable.

30 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Gary Ablett? Did he not play for Liverpool 🤣 Christ what a blast from the past, haven't heard his name in years

Won trophies with Liverpool and Everton. He's out of the running for this job, having tragically passed away at only 46 from Lymphoma