The Spiders v The Honest Men

Thought Ayr deserved to win the game. The second goal was really good and it should really have been at least three at the end. Didn't start the second half well, but Queen's Park threw away any momentum they had by losing a man so soon after equalising. Didn't think there was ever any real threat of a second equaliser.

Things I liked:

Reading not being a bombscare

Brown hauling Sylla up from the ground when he'd gone down in front of him and Queens Park were attacking.

Referee seemed to give us every big decision.

Things I didn't like:

McAllister being a bombscare

McGeady being brought on (he's done)

I thought our substitutions were a bit bizarre tbh. I know Bryden and McKenzie combined for the second goal.

I'm happy QP went to 10 men when they did as I'm not convinced we'd have won it otherwise. The momentum was with them up to then. Anyway, a wins and win and I'll take it and move on.

Edited by Trogdor

First half, Ayr had the bulk of possession and played some neat stuff but created almost nothing. The free kick for the goal kick was never a free kick, McKenzie ran in to a crowd of players, lost the ball and fell to his knees. 
Second half, Queen’s Park came more in to it as the game went on, they kept the ball off Ayr and upped the tempo when we did have it. They scored almost against the run of play but dominated the game after that for the most part. 
Ayrs second goal was a good team goal, must have been about 30 passed in the build up. 
Ayr were hanging on a wee bit in the end. 
Queens Park look a lot more organised team than the last couple of times we have played but just look a bit flat up front. 

1 hour ago, mcjameos said:

Guess as things stand Welsh now misses the Inverness game. 

Not sure on the rules but am I right in thinking the club will have grounds to appeal his first yellow in the hope of getting the red rescinded ?

Don't think you can appeal a yellow.

2 minutes ago, Hursty said:

It seemed a really stupid second yellow from an experienced player that basically lost his team the win or at very least draw 

Aye I thought that too. 

The first yellow is a ridiculous decision and he has every right to feel hard done by on that one. For the second, as an experienced pro he just shouldn't be fouling like that having been booked.

Came at a very good time for us tbh. Was concerned that QP would kick on after the equaliser.

3 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

Stuart Mckinstry is the worst footballer in the world

That’s all I have to say right now 

His problem is his attitude and lack of purpose. If he had been given a 3-year contract with a clear direction and a defined role/position within the first team, he has the potential to be our best player. You can easily see his class & technique every time he touches the ball but once he's got the ball he doesn't know what to do with it 😂

15 minutes ago, GloriousHoops said:

It was difficult to tell, he booked about half the Queens team for having the temerity to suggest the Ayr player had dived. 

Im not even sure it was a dive, he lost the ball and ran in to the back of a player and fell to his knees. 
I don’t think he was looking for a free kick. It was a prime example of a referee that hasn’t played the game or watched it all that much other than being a referee. It was never a free kick. 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Im not even sure it was a dive, he lost the ball and ran in to the back of a player and fell to his knees. 
I don’t think he was looking for a free kick. It was a prime example of a referee that hasn’t played the game or watched it all that much other than being a referee. It was never a free kick. 

I was in line. It wasn’t a free kick and it wasn’t a dive. He just fell over.

1 hour ago, harlowspider said:

I was in line. It wasn’t a free kick and it wasn’t a dive. He just fell over.

Makes it all the more baffling Welsh as en experienced midfielder sells the jerseys and gets sent off for a silly foul right after you have scored.  

It's up there with one of the daftest I've seen.   Basically won us the game 

It was the second time Welsh’s first touch wasn’t good enough. We need Thomson back in midfield. 

Even if no central defender is signed, and before Fox is back, I reckon we should go 4-3-3 with Thomson in midfield and Thomas out wide

4 hours ago, EaglesandSpiders said:You can easily see his class & technique every time he touches the ball but once he's got the ball he doesn't know what to do with it 😂

The problem is often we don’t play with a striker in the box still, with Paton coming deep to link play. As an out and out winger, that’s going to make your life very difficult. I particularly enjoyed the time where he elected to dribble into a pool of three Ayr players, despite the bye-line beckoning about the 87th minute.

I’m not prone to slaughtering refs because what’s the point? However, that’s absolutely brutal. Every single point could be the difference between us staying in this league or not. You cannot get a decision as simple as that wrong. We can look at the wall etc. as well, but the referee has to do his job properly there. Should be a demotion or a couple of weeks sitting out for that one. 

1 hour ago, JTWIS said:

Highlights cleared it up. He wasn't fouled, he didn't dive either. He just slipped on the grass and fell. Surely, the referee must be able to tell the difference.

I'm not sure how you can be so confident it wasn't a dive. Looks like a very distinct possibility to me having watched it back a few times.

Either way an absolutely ridiculous decision which ultimately had a huge impact on the game.