St Mirren vs Celtic - Sun 11th Feb 2024 KO 2pm

10 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Correct. I think our team must have been out with you the night before.

IMG_7588.thumb.jpeg.8b281810c35dfbe17a45e7b35b2f7bcf.jpeg

The financial gulf existed then and if anything has gotten worse. 

In terms of level of player though I don't think it has tbh. That team had a Scottish generational talent in Brown, VoH we signed from a team who were in the champions league semis the year before, Hinkel was a German international. We don't sign any of those types of players nowadays imo. I appreciate there will be a drop in level of signings at St.Mirren too but no more than us imo.

Edited by gannonball

12 minutes ago, gannonball said:

In terms of level of player though I don't think it has tbh. That team had a Scottish generational talent in Brown, VoH we signed from a team who were in the champions league semis the year before, Hinkel was a German international. We don't sign any of those types of players nowadays imo. I appreciate there will be a drop in level of signings at St.Mirren too but no more than us imo.

Our signings have improved, actually. Not many of that team get in today's team.

Baccus in midfield should make a huge difference today. In the last meeting we had Flynn and CBM I'm the middle which let Celtic just steamroll us.

Obviously the pressure is on Celtic and they are the heavy favourites but I'm hoping we turn up today and at least make a game of it. 

The Celtic fans I know have been slating the team for months but especially in the last couple of weeks they are definitely not happy. My worry is its the cup, they know they'll need to show up today and they turn into prime Barca.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Oh I'll be there.

However, plenty won't due to the reasons I cited.

It's a pity the shine is taken off such an occasion, but as the football authorities seem to think this type of behaviour is acceptable, then that's the way it's going to be in ties of this kind and any matches against them and their alter egos.

Whatever the result, I know I'll be going home wondering once again how any fan can continue to attend matches whilst their own support indulge in that type of behaviour. 

I think Bolton will be a huge miss. On their day, Dunne and Taylor can be good defenders, but both are susceptible to Keystone cops moments.

Baccus will step in for Kwon. Let's hope both he and CBM can last 90 minutes, as without O'Hara and Kwon we're very light in that area.

Think the key will be Mandron roughing up their centre halves as they're both pretty average. If Scott and Tanser can get the ball in early we might reap the rewards.

Would be nice to see Kiltie exhibiting some composure in front of goal, as his play over the past few games has deserved a goal or two.

A refereeing team and VAR team displaying an iota of competence would be welcome too.

We know the powers that be accept it and are accepting of it. The most obvious example is the constant apologies by TV commentators for "unacceptable language" by supporters of just about every other team involved in a televised match (latest example Cappielow on the BBC Friday night but Sky are constantly doing it too) when not a Dickie bird is said when thousands of them are "up their knees" or glorifying banned terrorist organisations. It's blatant and it's that acceptance that drives people away from games against them.

St Brendan gets a blue card for his presser,telling comments about the team been broken through the season,maybe hes starting to realize his style isn't working on these players,forcing a style of play instead of playing to players strengths is a major problem for him.

Change of shape for us with both Kyogo and Idah starting. Is this Rodgers going back to 4231 with Kyogo as a 10?

Interesting to see how this works however that defence is worrying 

Edited by Jinky67