Motherwell v Kilmarnock: The KVV Derby

Looking forward to seeing the Kilmarnock all stars team at Fir Park. 

Kinda like the have nots v the haves. 

It is a miracle how Killie have achieved this squad assembly with a lower wage bill to us, their financial prudence and rigorous application of the £2k wage cap. A miracle.

If we can keep it down to a 2 goal defeat we can call it a moral victory and move on to the teams around our level. 

Weirdly, I'd actually forgotten about the previous game with the last minute winner - all the more bizarre as it was one of very few highlights of our "season". 

Tomorrow will be tough as Killie are doing well - the only thing that would stop me marking this down now as a routine defeat is that - quietly - we've not been too bad over the past spell. I wouldn't go too far on that but we are definitely improved from the depths of our bad run, so it might be a closer game than most will think. Our defence is still nailed on to allow 1 preventable goal - but we tend to score ourselves and even if we don't bring in a free agent jobber up front today - we're probably still good for something.

KVV will obviously be a sideshow in all of this. Looking forward to some people applauding him, some people getting annoyed at some people applauding him and Butcher leaving him in a crumpled heap 2 mins into his debut.

28 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It helps that we're not paying thousands of pounds a week to a midget goalkeeper with no hands tbf.

Hard to argue with that. He should make the most of it. I doubt anyone else (ourselves included) will offer half of what he is currently earning.

I am sure we will offer him a contract given he is our captain. But genuinely I wish we move on and see if we can get someone else in. 

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

It is a miracle how Killie have achieved this squad assembly with a lower wage bill to us, their financial prudence and rigorous application of the £2k wage cap. A miracle.

If we can keep it down to a 2 goal defeat we can call it a moral victory and move on to the teams around our level. 

Oh my...

4 hours ago, welldaft said:

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Anyway, 2-1 Motherwell with a 132nd minute winner from Harry Paton.  Surely Killie will have KVV on the bench at least?  He'll be nowhere near match fit but would certainly be good for 10/15 minutes.  Hope he does f**k all on Saturday, obviously, but he goes on to score hunners against Livi, St. Johnstone, Ross County and, of course, St. Mirren.

35 minutes ago, Desp said:

Hope he does f**k all on Saturday, obviously, but he goes on to score hunners against Livi, St. Johnstone, Ross County and, of course, St. Mirren.

Hing oan....

So, you're saying we get all the benefits, but with someone else picking up the cost?

We're fucking geniuses lads!

50 minutes ago, Desp said:

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Anyway, 2-1 Motherwell with a 132nd minute winner from Harry Paton.  Surely Killie will have KVV on the bench at least?  He'll be nowhere near match fit but would certainly be good for 10/15 minutes.  Hope he does f**k all on Saturday, obviously, but he goes on to score hunners against Livi, St. Johnstone, Ross County and, of course, St. Mirren.

Tongue in cheek….tongue in cheek. Thought it would be fairly obvious 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Desp said:

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

A KVV hat trick in our next game against the Paisley tinks would be just the ticket. 

On 29/01/2024 at 10:30, craigkillie said:

I don't see what different it makes that O'Hara is our signed player, given they're both only with us until the end of the season. It's not like O'Hara is on a 3-year deal.

If O’Hara does well he earns a new deal and would save us looking for a new first choice keeper in the summer.

If Dennis does well we are most likely going to lose him at the end of the season and have to find another number 1.

If, and it’s a big if, both players are at the same level and both bring the same to the team then I would always rather have a signed player than a loan player. Surprised that anyone wouldn’t have that mindset.

29 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

If O’Hara does well he earns a new deal and would save us looking for a new first choice keeper in the summer.

If Dennis does well we are most likely going to lose him at the end of the season and have to find another number 1.

If, and it’s a big if, both players are at the same level and both bring the same to the team then I would always rather have a signed player than a loan player. Surprised that anyone wouldn’t have that mindset.

Walker was a permanent player last season and did well, but when we got to the summer he left because his contract was up. Hemming was on loan but we'd actually have had a better chance of keeping him for another year.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Walker was a permanent player last season and did well, but when we got to the summer he left because his contract was up. Hemming was on loan but we'd actually have had a better chance of keeping him for another year.

Walker leaving wasn’t as simple as that.