Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager 23/24 Edition

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?  

357 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think the challenge might be getting him to come up there. Doing well at Aberdeen could absolutely take his career onto the next level, but doing badly in Scotland has put a bullet in the head of a lot of managers that appeared to be promising. 

Glass, Goodwin and Robson with Aberdeen; Ross, Heckingbottom & Moloney with Hibs; most of the same guys + Mellon and Fox at United.

Maybe they're all just shite, maybe they're all just bad appointments. Or maybe managing in Scotland is a fucking tough gig and you're more likely to fail than not. If you're Eustace, are you looking at a list of similar-ish guys who have tried it up here and are now nowhere to be seen and/or in the Scottish Championship?

He'd have to do very, very well at Aberdeen for it to add anything to his prospects.

Robbie Neilson has finished third in the Premiership and taken Hearts to two cup finals. He's not getting a gig at Birmingham.

It's hard to see how a spell at any club outside the OF is of any value to him. Aberdeen are not going to win the league,

11 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think the challenge might be getting him to come up there. Doing well at Aberdeen could absolutely take his career onto the next level, but doing badly in Scotland has put a bullet in the head of a lot of managers that appeared to be promising. 

Glass, Goodwin and Robson with Aberdeen; Ross, Heckingbottom & Moloney with Hibs; most of the same guys + Mellon and Fox at United.

Maybe they're all just shite, maybe they're all just bad appointments. Or maybe managing in Scotland is a fucking tough gig and you're more likely to fail than not. If you're Eustace, are you looking at a list of similar-ish guys who have tried it up here and are now nowhere to be seen and/or in the Scottish Championship?

Heckingbottom went on to manage in the English Premier League after leaving Hibs. Glass and Fox were youth coaches and at no point were they actually considered promising. Mellon took United into the top six and left of his own accord.

Edited by craigkillie

30 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's an interesting one. The fact that Robson got it last time (like Naismith at Hearts), hints at the probability that nobody of any note wanted the job. Hearts strongly hinted at this when defending Naismith, and said they'd basically had f**k all good candidates and had spoken to Aberdeen who had said the same.

Not sure what's changed for Aberdeen (or Hearts) to hope to attract better now.

I'd say there was no-one in the Alex Neil sweet spot (Scottish, available, decent track record, not as attractive as he was to Championship clubs) when we appointed a manager. If he's interested then that would seem the most sensible move.

2 minutes ago, DC92 said:

I'd say there was no-one in the Alex Neil sweet spot (Scottish, available, decent track record, not as attractive as he was to Championship clubs) when we appointed a manager. If he's interested then that would seem the most sensible move.

Aye. He's the only one that springs to mind. I think he'd do well.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Derek Adams needs to be added to the list, perfect job for him to jump ship to. Doesn't want to be at County and Aberdeen have the bigger budget for him to show what he can do waste.

Hide contents

Plus it would be a good laugh for all non sheep fans.

There

Alex Neil would be my preference out of those being mooted.

Warnock is a good manager, and I would expect results to improve under him, but it would be another concession from the club that they haven't done the longer term succession planning and don't know the direction they want to go in.

Eustace isn't a completely wild shout, if a bit optimistic, but I would imagine that he will be holding out for another Championship or upper League One gig. 

I have seen some on Twitter saying that Neil would be 'uninspiring' and all that, but it sounds very similar to what was said when we initially appointed McInnes - and he did not bad.

Then again, I did see some of our more 'excitable' fans suggesting Steve Cooper as a realistic candidate, so maybe I shouldn't be too surprised. 

This is no time for a novice, that much is for sure. 

6 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

One less ginger in employment thanks to the Derry.

Happy Novak Djokovic GIF by Tennis TV

They don’t seem very grateful for the great work done by the Dens Derry. All wanting Lennon which would actually be a hilarious appointment. 

19 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Where the f**k did BBC Scotland dig up these gimps? Anyone saying Neil Lennon can f**k right off.

It’s almost as if there’s an agenda at play here.  The very first speak your brains video on *checks notes* PLZ Soccer is some Aberdeen lad saying Neil Lennon would “Galvanise the fan base”.   He’s not wrong, but not in the way he thinks.  

edit: note to self, never volunteer for a speak your brains segment.  

Edited by Savage Henry

Why would anyone ever bring up Neil Lennon seriously in these kinds of discussions? At Celtic he has/had enough reputation to get by without any deeper sense of philosophy or structure, and there he had the obvious bonus of far greater resources. At Hibs he had the reputation and the immediate motivational ability to galvanise the club and improve things at a point when they needed it, before the wheels inevitably fell off when that stopped working. When he was at Bolton he had basically no chance, so not much point dwelling on that.

I just don't really see what there is to take seriously about him as a manager, never mind at a club in need of stability the way Aberdeen currently are.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

He'd have to do very, very well at Aberdeen for it to add anything to his prospects.

Robbie Neilson has finished third in the Premiership and taken Hearts to two cup finals. He's not getting a gig at Birmingham.

It's hard to see how a spell at any club outside the OF is of any value to him. Aberdeen are not going to win the league,

McInnes was offered the Sunderland job after they’d just been relegated from the Premier League.