Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager 23/24 Edition

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?  

357 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The board made the easy decision rather than the right decision in the summer and have paid the price.

It would have been a very difficult act to follow for any other manager. Robson was doing remarkably well and had completely turned around a team lacking in confidence and form. The support was behind him too. A poor start from any new manager would’ve meant knives out, not only for them but for the board for not appointing Robson. 

Also, rightly or wrongly, they could have simply thought that they’d stumbled upon a good manager who just hadn’t been given a chance yet, based on his interim record. 

As an aside, it would’ve been better for Robson’s career if he hadn’t got it. He would’ve walked into a decent level job with less pressure than starting his managerial career at Aberdeen.

I don't even know who is available atm, aside from...

(1) Yogi

(2) Robbie Neilson

(3) Billy Davies

(4) Neil McCann

(5) Billy Dodds

Any up and comers available that aren't Lord Tony of Docherty!? 

7 hours ago, Smokerson said:

Aberdeen need an experienced figure head manager for me.  No point pissing about with guys like Glass and Robson, it just doesn't work.

Thanks for that insightfulness, we weren’t sure what was going wrong until know. Legend.

7 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Neil Warnock, although a better manager than Robson, is a no for me.

Not sure about Neil Lennon.

Alex Neil was the man I wanted to replace McInnes. I think he'd thrive at Aberdeen just like McInnes did.

I agree with regards Alex Neil.

With two horrendous appointments (Glass & Goodwin) and one odd managerial contract handed out (did rookie Robson really require a two year deal?), Cormack needs to get this next appointment right, so it requires, as much as one can in appointing a manager, to play it safe.

Robson's run at the end of last season warranted his appointment but it was always another major risk especially after what had gone before.

He needs to forget this nonsense with Warnock until the end of the season. If we're looking for someone to keep the seat warm for three months then there will be plenty capable that won't cost anywhere near what Warnock does and with a better knowledge of the game up here.

However, either now or in the summer (preferably now) he needs to go on the charm offensive and bring in Alex Neil. 

I would like to see Alex Neil bring his old boss Billy Reid with him.

Then he needs to take a serious look at the personnel running the club including himself because he's managed to turn us into a joke over five years.

Can't help but feel sorry for Robson. Gave up a good job to take the position (anyone would've), did well initially, but gets bagged after a year.

I think he'll probably be able to get another job in the Championship where there will be less pressure, but who knows.

I think too many clubs are chasing perfection. It's almost impossible now for a club to have a poor season (not even a terrible one) without bagging a manager or two. Hibs and Aberdeen have been the main culprits of late but I think all teams can be guilty of it. Maybe it's bigger than the manager? If clubs were prepared to give managers 2/3 years to try and build something then they'd maybe see some improvements. 

As for the next manager - Warnock would be a good laugh but he's not exactly a long term fix. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Worst season up to this point since 2011/12.

You did get to a cup final though and churned out some decent European performances.

I just think that so many clubs have no real direction, it's almost like a lottery of whether a manager will work out or not. Aberdeen is only one example of it. Glass came in with a different style from McInnes, signed his own players then gets binned. Goodwin comes in with a different style again, signs a load of players, then gets binned. Now Robson. Whoever comes in will no doubt want to offload players and there's no guarantee the team will be in a far better position next season. 

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Can't help but feel sorry for Robson. Gave up a good job to take the position (anyone would've), did well initially, but gets bagged after a year.

I think he'll probably be able to get another job in the Championship where there will be less pressure, but who knows.

I think too many clubs are chasing perfection. It's almost impossible now for a club to have a poor season (not even a terrible one) without bagging a manager or two. Hibs and Aberdeen have been the main culprits of late but I think all teams can be guilty of it. Maybe it's bigger than the manager? If clubs were prepared to give managers 2/3 years to try and build something then they'd maybe see some improvements. 

As for the next manager - Warnock would be a good laugh but he's not exactly a long term fix. 

I wouldn't expect you to, but if you were to have a creep on Twitter, you would see the state of our tactics and shape.

Under Goodwin, we were a bit of a soft touch. I think teams underestimated us under Robson and suddenly we're snapping in to tackles, winning second balls.

We've tried to do that again, while signing players who like to get the ball down on the deck and play. It was obvious from Livi away on the first day of the season that it wasn't going to work.

Look at the two games against you guys. I wouldn't say you outplayed us, but you done what Robson wants us to do but also had a manager with a bit of tactical nous behind it. At times against you we literally had a back 5 playing it forward to a front 5. 

If a manager wants to play long ball football, fine. At least sign the talent to play it.