Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager 23/24 Edition

Who will be Aberdeen's next permanent manager?  

357 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

44 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Robson took Aberdeen from IIRC 6th position to 3rd. He must have earned Aberdeen significant prize money through league position and European football. 

Yes.

It was obvious to most that Robson's brand of football wouldn't be sustainable long term, though.

If you were to look back, you'd see alarm bells ringing after the first game of the season against Livingston.

9 hours ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

Don't mind saying it but clubs like Aberdeen and Hearts are too big to be giving someone a "crack" at management. 

Clubs far bigger than fucking Aberdeen and Hearts have successfully given folk a crank at management.

51 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Yes.

It was obvious to most that Robson's brand of football wouldn't be sustainable long term, though.

If you were to look back, you'd see alarm bells ringing after the first game of the season against Livingston.

Even before that, as soon as that purple patch of wins ended last season cracks started to appear. Pretty much from the moment he got the job permanently the sides performances cratered.

I remember feeling that the side limped into third place after the split. As good as that initial run of wins was it’s remarkable how bad Hearts and other sides had to be for Aberdeen to finish 3rd.

Edited by Rodhull

43 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The board made the easy decision rather than the right decision in the summer and have paid the price.

That's easy to say in hindsight, though.

If we didn't give him the job and he was flying at St Johnstone or whatever then Aberdeen would have been slated.

48 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The board made the easy decision rather than the right decision in the summer and have paid the price.

If the board had waited until the summer Barry Robson may not have been appointed. He signed the full time managerial contract on 1st May. 

30 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

That's easy to say in hindsight, though.

If we didn't give him the job and he was flying at St Johnstone or whatever then Aberdeen would have been slated.

Lots of people were saying it at the time.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Lots of people were saying it at the time.

I think everyone had reservations based on what we were seeing. No one was under the impression that the team that finished 3rd was brilliant. 

The club have made plenty noise though that they didn’t have an outstanding candidate and were clearly struggling to find a profile manager that they really wanted. 

I think it’s understandable why we ended up where we did. He isn’t completely hopeless either, he had some stand out moments this season. And particularly in ‘bigger’ games there was often a clear approach. Something we never saw under someone more experienced in Goodwin. 

I just wish we recognised the direction of travel sooner. 

1 minute ago, 10menwent2mow said:

The Warnock chat worries me. Appointing him until the end of the season would be more about us fulfilling his wish to manage in Scotland rather than be of any tangible benefit to us if he's not going to hang about for the long run. 

It'll either be a disaster, or he will do a Robson-like turnaround and get us into 4th.

Then the 5 vox-pop numpties who wanted Lennon will be agitating for him to get the job full-time.

59 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

The Warnock chat worries me. Appointing him until the end of the season would be more about us fulfilling his wish to manage in Scotland rather than be of any tangible benefit to us if he's not going to hang about for the long run. 

I dunno, if it works for both parties to keep it short term and give the bird breathing space to do some due diligence, then it’s not that bad a thing. 

39 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Warnock woukd be a dreadful appointment.

Make It So Patrick Stewart GIF

He's 75 years old, if we're aiming at that demographic, give Fergie a call...

7 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

Apparently the 3 Neils are under serious consideration

Warnock.

Lennon 

Alex 

We'd be better with the Three Degrees...