Greenock Morton v Motherwell

Roll on Friday night. Scottish cup tie under the lights hopefully a good crowd despite it being on the BBC. 

We are playing well. Motherwell haven't been great this has all the makings of a cracking cup tie. 

Safe to say the Morton result today raised an eyebrow. With their form in general and us coming off a six-pointer on Tuesday it's either 50-50 or not a kick in the arse off it.

For some reason I either think we'll win both or neither.

Good warm up for the three* meetings we'll have next season.

*Assumes we somehow won't draw each other in the cups before we effortlessly waltz into the top six ahead of this relegation fodder

14 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

Safe to say the Morton result today raised an eyebrow. With their form in general and us coming off a six-pointer on Tuesday it's either 50-50 or not a kick in the arse off it.

For some reason I either think we'll win both or neither.

Raised everybrows for everyone but it’s about time we put teams to the sword like that instead of dominating games and only winning by the odd goal Morton are different breed at the moment the player & fans will be confident against anyone especially at cappa no teams come here and have it easy, this will be a cracker 

5 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Raised everybrows for everyone but it’s about time we put teams to the sword like that instead of dominating games and only winning by the odd goal Morton are different breed at the moment the player & fans will be confident against anyone especially at cappa no teams come here and have it easy, this will be a cracker 

Bizarrely I'm actually not unhappy you're playing well, it takes a huge amount of pressure off us and means you won't just sit in and defend.

There's quite a few Motherwell fans who would willingly take a loss on Friday if we win on Tuesday (not that I'm one of them). 

It has the potential to be a cracker for sure.

Probably the most gutted I've ever been after a Ton game was the cup QF replay in 1991 at Cappielow, when Motherwell won on penalties after a 1-1 draw. First game at Fir Park ended 0-0, if I remember correctly. Game was one of the first to be broadcasted live on Sky TV which was in its very early years. Motherwell went on to win the cup that year, just to rub salt in the wound.

I've waited 33 years for this. It's payback time! :)

Looking at Motherwells form, 1 win in 19( NINETEEN) league games, how on earth is Kettlewell still in a job?

Becoming more and more confident about Friday now which will prob end up with egg on my face ( kirk Broadfoot pun intended) 

Hope we do ourselves justice with the country watching. 

30 minutes ago, cet homme charmant said:

Probably the most gutted I've ever been after a Ton game was the cup QF replay in 1991 at Cappielow, when Motherwell won on penalties after a 1-1 draw. First game at Fir Park ended 0-0, if I remember correctly. Game was one of the first to be broadcasted live on Sky TV which was in its very early years. Motherwell went on to win the cup that year, just to rub salt in the wound.

I remember it “well”. My memory is atrocious but I seem to remember there was a bit of a trend in that whoever knocked Morton out went on to win the cup! (Cue accusations of liar, fantasist etc.) 

5 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I remember it “well”. My memory is atrocious but I seem to remember there was a bit of a trend in that whoever knocked Morton out went on to win the cup! (Cue accusations of liar, fantasist etc.) 

1991 must have been around about the time you claimed you were personally trained by the world famous Dutch internationalist, Rob Rensenbrink, who played in two World Cup finals.

Why on earth would we think you're a fantasist? 😂

1 hour ago, cet homme charmant said:

We were poor in the first game but probably had enough chances to edge it. We were awful in the replay, with the exception of a late rally before the end of extra-time. It's funny watching the penalty shoot-out and how the drama changes with the goalie able to jump about.

I reckon we've drawn Morton eight times since I've been going and only lost once...along with a couple of absolute pumpings there have also been two shoot-out wins and two 120th minute winners...it's hard to say you don't owe us another doing, difference in league places between the sides or not tbh.

3 hours ago, Handsome_Devil said:

We were poor in the first game but probably had enough chances to edge it. We were awful in the replay, with the exception of a late rally before the end of extra-time. It's funny watching the penalty shoot-out and how the drama changes with the goalie able to jump about.

I reckon we've drawn Morton eight times since I've been going and only lost once...along with a couple of absolute pumpings there have also been two shoot-out wins and two 120th minute winners...it's hard to say you don't owe us another doing, difference in league places between the sides or not tbh.

Fir Park is one of the grounds which we have a terrible record at, in all competitions. I think the only worse one was Douglas Park, where they managed to demolish it before we got a chance to win another game there. We have wins at Ibrox, Parkhead, Pittodrie, Tynecastle and Easter Road more recently than at Fir Park. I'm glad the game is at Cappielow, although with our current team and manager I would not have minded another pop at Motherwell on their own patch. 

Looking forward to this one.

I'll probably never be more confident going into a game against a higher level team. Motherwell will still be expected to win the game, and I won't be majorly disappointed if they do, but I just can't see how they'll break us down and stop us from scoring on current trends. Should be throwing contracts at Muirhead and Oakley before the rest of Scotland catch wind of them in front of the cameras on Friday.

Great to see a big crowd expected. Not had a big feel good Scottish cup tie at Cappielow in a long time, maybe since we last beat Motherwell down here. Really looking forward to this one.

15 minutes ago, Neil86 said:

Any idea on how many tickets Motherwell have shifted, I see the buses have sold out, no idea how many buses were on sale though?

1200 according to their twitter account

Would expect there to be around 1500 away fans which is fairly decent given it is a Friday night on BBC. I am heading along and making a night of it in Glasgow before and after.

Morton are absolutely flying and are the form side in the championship. So certainly a tough ask and with them scoring so freely, I very much doubt they will fail to score against us. We have tightened up a little at the back but yet we still seem partial to chucking one in and usually the 1st shot the opposition team has on target which is as annoying as it is bizarre.

I think the fact we are playing in such a crucial game tomorrow night also plays into Morton’s hands and gives another slight advantage as does playing at home. 

All that said despite failing to win many games we have not lost many either. Only 2 in over a dozen which included games v both Rangers and Celtic (away). Our form over last 6 league games has in the top half. In the very recent draws v St Johnstone and Killie I would say we were the better side in both second half’s with the games at 1-1. 

Would not surprise me if this went to ET and even penalties. Any win will do 🙏.

Edited by welldaft

6 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Tempted to go to this one as my brother in law is a Morton fan. 

A proper Scottish Cup tie.

Delboy will probably be taking in this game since he still has a soft-spot for The 'Ton and is well thought of at Cappielow.

Ask him nicely and I'm sure he'll give you a lift down.

I sadly won't be finishing my work until 8pm and I'm gutted that I won't be there. We'll obviously be giving Motherwell the respect they're due - they're a Premiership team with all that entails, but we're going like a steam train just now with our longest unbeaten run in 40+ years. I can't think of a better set of circumstances for us to be facing such a tough opponent. Massively looking forward to this.