Greenock Morton v Motherwell

On 08/02/2024 at 18:57, Al B said:

His fairly recent application for the Motherwell job would suggest half of this isn't as true as you might think.

Our polite but swift "no thank you" would suggest the other half is.

Erm yes, it's truly unfortunate for us that Motherwell's delusions of grandeur produce total failure -just like Inverness and every other similar tale that Morton fans are meant to burst a blood vessel responding to. 

Still, at least you ended up with the right man for the job to avoid being bodied by the candidate you 'snubbed'. That would be embarrassing eh.

FPSo5m9XMAgRYFE.jpg.0e233b06bca3e910ff073eb5bcf5c1fa.jpg

One of the most enjoyable nights at cappielow for a while. Absolutely love this team. There's just a perfect symmetry of a manager, a team and a town all built in the same image and it's bloody glorious to be a part of. It won't last forever so I'm making sure to enjoy every moment of it and nights like last night just cement their places in Morton history. 

Only managed to watch back about 55 mins so far but it's crazy to watch Motherwell pass it around us intricately with first touch passes around our box and then just giving up on that and resorting to hoofing it to our centrebacks. I hadn't really appreciated some of the nice passing and movement they had in the first half because despite it I never really felt threatened that they would score. 

Every single player absolutely majestic. Mullen can go as far as he wants in the game he's that talented. He'd probably already be closer to the top of it wasn't for his injuries but he's still very young and will only get better. He's comfortably a better keeper than the Scotland keeper across the pitch from him. 

Thought O'connor was outstanding against his old team. Put his body on the line and was always there whenever Motherwell looked like they'd managed to get our defence out of position. 

Wilson absolutely incredible in midfield and if it weren't for the goals of Oakley and Muirhead this season would probably comfortably be our player of the season. Thought Blues was incredible as well and probably will go a bit unnoticed so wanted to make sure to single him out. 

Oakley is so much more than the bully he comes across as. He's deceptively fast, decent with ball at his feet and a good finisher. I'm glad he's getting goals to his name now even though it probably comes at a time of the season where other clubs will start to notice, but what a signing he's been for us. 

Edited by port-ton

Well done Morton last night - totally in control and a well deserved win.

Don't take this the wrong way - but can we agree that we'll give it a few years off and maybe arrange a league cup meeting sometime in the late 2040's?

11 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Great result that for Morton, thoroughly deserved, proper old style cup tie under the lights as a team from the league below gives the top flight side a bloody nose.

Only slightly tempered for them by their ned of a manager, Dougie Imrie acting like the snarling faced ned he is.Full time after a real blood and guts cup upset live on the telly, you've knocked out a Premiership side and your manager, yes your manager's first reaction is to run to the away fans and give them the GIRFUY gestures, what a fucking fanny of a guy.

The second paragraph could easily have been describing Neil Lennon. 

Blues gets a hard time because his decision making can sometimes be a bit off but his off the ball work is ridiculous. He had a slide tackle in the 92nd minute that forced it back to the keeper, just epitomised his work rate and defensive effort.

Him and Crawford are so crucial in doing the unseen work that keeps us ticking, Motherwell had no answer to our press

Last night was tremendous. 

Great to see such a unified home support (the clubs' social media has definitely played its part here) being rewarded by the team delivering the good on the park. Everyone played well, but I have to single out Alan Power and Iain Wilson for their efforts. Wilson was incredible and Power stuck to his job brilliantly despite being on a booking. Agree with the comment above about Cammy Blues too.

The game itself wasn't a classic but it was odd to feel early on that we were not going to be overwhelmed by Motherwell and the usual hard luck story didn't ever feel like emerging. I had no idea how we scored the 1st at the time but seeing it now it's a howler from Kelly. Lovely finish by big Gorgeous for the 2nd.

Fair play to the police and stewards - the tactic last night seemed to be "let the fans do whatever the f**k they want as long at there's no fighting" - summed up by the guy walking out of the Cowshed behind me at the end, openly drinking a can of Stella. Pity about the knob-end with the laser pen. 

I hope that the next round doesn't give us a tie with a limited support. Anyone at home would be ideal.

7 hours ago, virginton said:

Erm yes, it's truly unfortunate for us that Motherwell's delusions of grandeur produce total failure -just like Inverness and every other similar tale that Morton fans are meant to burst a blood vessel responding to. 

Still, at least you ended up with the right man for the job to avoid being bodied by the candidate you 'snubbed'. That would be embarrassing eh.

FPSo5m9XMAgRYFE.jpg.0e233b06bca3e910ff073eb5bcf5c1fa.jpg

I mean, none of that makes any sense as he applied for it when Alexander was emptied and Hammell got the job, but cool. 👍🏻

I could understand Accies fans maybe "bursting a blood vessel" at it, but I'm not sure why the Hamilton/Motherwell rivalry would wind up a Morton fan? 

Edited by Al B

As the lyrics of a well known song say

"sober in the morning light . Things look much different than they did last night"

Well I hope not. Yes maybe not the sophisticated football PL teams are used to but definitely a real cup game.

Can't fault anyone in the team, must be a first. Why did QOS let Wilson go!

Yes our social media and ticketing has improved but sort out the capacity for the next round if drawn at home.

Not happy with the space given to Motherwell fans in the main stand nor the BBC's commentator's open plan platform.

If we have to put up with it, relocate it to the corner and free up some cowshed space.

Also, to all you home fans who can along last night hope to see you in the next home league game the atmosphere generated was brilliant.  

There's too many pages for me to catch up on. 

Fair play to Morton. 

Regardless I had a good night out. We went in early to Caley bar in Port Glasgow then to the ground. Left early enough for pints in the Norseman then a few in town before closers in Motherwell. 

I had a good night, as usual the worst part was the fitba. 

I'll moan about Motherwell on our thread. 

Well done Morton, Dougie Imrie canny tie his laces.

3 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

What a night.  A fantastic support thru from Motherwell too that deserves better.  I thought they were class even tho they allowed Imrie to wind them up like fandans.

Indeed and the vast majority of posts from the Motherwell fans on here are very fair and gracious. Good luck to them.

4 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

What a night.  A fantastic support thru from Motherwell too that deserves better.  I thought they were class even tho they allowed Imrie to wind them up like fandans.

Aye was just two sets of fans enjoying themselves for the most part (Motherwell fans not as much because of the football) but I think that helped add to the ebjoyability of it for me. Just a great advert for Scottish football.