Greenock Morton v Motherwell

52 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Just home. Pretty disappointed that Morton didn't sit off us and leave gaps you could drive a tractor through like Ross County were kind enough to do on Tuesday tbh!

In fairness they played a blinder of a cup tie.  Stayed solid at the back and got right stuck into the midfield. Don't make any daft mistakes playing like that and you're pretty much on to a winner against us.   First visit to Cappielow and have to say what a cracking wee place to watch a game.  Thought the Morton fans made it a great atmosphere and absolutely fair f*cks to every one of them ( except for the middle aged guy at the segregation line who seemed to single out my pal's 10 year old boy to get into a tit for tat verbal with, seems like pretty weird behaviour tbh)   who's currently several pints deep , enjoy your night.  

N.b. gonnae turn the wind down and the temperature up next time please ? Ta. 

Tbf...Morton fans  have issues with  our own stewards so you're not alone on this.

17 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

I’m not sure who’s a bigger w**k, Liam Kelly or Dougie Imrie. 

No, that’s a lie. It’s Liam Kelly. 

Kelly really was a bomb scare from the first whistle tonight. He was incredibly lucky he never dropped one at O’Connor’s feet in the first half and looked generally shite throughout. 

If he makes the Scotland squad this summer over Gordon I’d be very, very shocked. 

43 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Morton deserved to win. 

Nothing special at all. Just solid as we expected but actually did bugger all about. 

We played poorly but that has a lot to how Morton played and closed down space. 

The game literally turned on the 1st goal. A Kilmarnock fan recently lambasted me when I argued about the amount of money they were spending on Van Veen. His response was iirc “not our fault if you spunk a lot of money on a midget goalkeeper with no hands”. Literally the best response he could make on  account of the fact it is so true. 

As a person I have no axe to grind with Kelly. But he has the worst save % in the top flight. My 83 year old Mother would command the box better. Time for his to be dropped altogether. 

Anyways. Congrats to Morton. Hope you get a decent draw in the next round. Good old proper club with good fans 👏👏👏

i was surprised how nervous Kelly looked throughout....like he didnt trust anyone.

46 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

I feel it in my waters we are drawing you guys @ Cappielow in the Quarters.

You are winning tomorrow.

If you get a home tie, no matter who it is, they won't relish the trip to Cappielow with the form you guys are in.

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Having seen Morton several times this season , and how close all the games were, and with all their recent results/full squad, I'd expected it to be really tough for Motherwell .

I watched it and Morton were superior in all areas while Motherwell never adjusted to a cup tie atmosphere.

Never watched the post match stuff so can't really comment on Imrie but celebrating a win over the Well is always to be savoured. Well done Morton and I look forward to my next visit to Cappielow.

All you need to know about Dougie Imrie  mate is that he is the manager of Greenock Morton.

37 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

He looks good 

he looks fine 

George Oakley’s on my mind and he’s scoring all the time 🎶 

IMG_0274.jpeg

What you did was a take on Manfred Manns  Doo wah diddy diddy do diddy do (or something close)

36 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

If you get a home tie, no matter who it is, they won't relish the trip to Cappielow with the form you guys are in.

Aye.... might not relish it.....but we know if we draw either of the arse-cheeks we're on the back foot.

Other Premier opposition gives us a chance. I want Killie because it would be good to have him back at Cappielow.

I love Dougie Imrie so much.

There've been a lot of plaudits for Baird, O'Connor and Oakley, rightly so as they were all excellent, but Iain Wilson, fucking hell man. He was head and shoulders above anyone else in that midfield.

There were wee moments in the first half where you saw the relative quality of Motherwell's players show with how they bought themselves space and played passes Championship players wouldn't spot, but despite that we really weren't looking in danger of conceding and were well worth being ahead at half-time. At 2-0 you expected another gear, at 2-1 you thought an onslaught was coming and it just didn't. We were just genuinely the much better team on the night rather than riding our luck at any point and it wouldn't have flattered us to win that more comfortably.

Imrie is inevitably going to get a job at a higher level eventually and we might go to shit the second he leaves, but I am loving every second of this for now. Give me Livingston, Hibs and Aberdeen in no particular order for the rest of the tournament and we are playing group stage European football next season.