Kelty v Queens

48 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Frustrating one. We were comfortably the better side, Kelty keeper had a couple of great saves, and we hit the post twice. I really like the look of Mumbongo when he came on, showed some really good touches and his control and shot when he hit the post was real quality. Put in a power of effort as well.

2 points dropped, we deserved 3. 

Agreed - that was a game we should have won certainly on the balance of play and chances created. We had at least 5 very good chances in the first half and failed to make any count. Having three players in forward areas certainly helped and they generally pressed the ball well and kept us in Kelty territory.

We petered out a bit in the second half and the game was more even. Having missed so many decent openings there was a feeling of impending doom but the sucker punch didn’t materialise thankfully. A draw was a poor result and doesn’t help us but we did create chances and had the territorial advantage which has been rare this season.

Very strange team selection - we had two natural left sided defenders/wing backs in McIntyre and new signing Kilsby and yet McKechnie starts in an unfamiliar role. Not sure why we sign yet another LB/LWB and don’t play him? I don’t profess to understand the rationale behind the recruitment but it was a better overall performance and the defence was pretty secure.

New striker Mumbongo distinguished himself well and certainly better than the Hamilton P and B posters suggested he would.

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Frustrating one. We were comfortably the better side, Kelty keeper had a couple of great saves, and we hit the post twice. I really like the look of Mumbongo when he came on, showed some really good touches and his control and shot when he hit the post was real quality. Put in a power of effort as well.

2 points dropped, we deserved 3. 

Agree entirely. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Didn't concede and 3 shots on target. MB and the happy clappers won't be able to contain themselves tonight. 

I take it you  weren’t there. Played well and very unlucky not to win. Sure I’m fed up that we didn’t win but wasn’t for the want of trying today. 

38 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

I take it you  weren’t there. Played well and very unlucky not to win. Sure I’m fed up that we didn’t win but wasn’t for the want of trying today. 

Ffs, I don't need to be at a game to comment on a result. It was 0-0 against a side who apart from beating Edinburgh City haven't won a league game in 7 matches now. 10 matches if you exclude their win against us at Palmerston. Forgive me for not giving a shit that we "played well". Even when we play well we can't muster a win. Sorry, but I'm past the point of picking up tiny positives in amongst a sea of negatives. 

Edited by 19QOS19

I had the conversation on the way out of the ground with my dad that I’m sick of hearing Bartley praise the performance after a shit result, and uninspiring performance. But if he comes out with it this week I’m completely with him on it, tbh.  We did everything except score, but were bloody close on several occasions. If we were in a better position you’d just write it off as one of those days, but our overall situation makes that harder to do. 

37 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Ffs, I don't need to be at a game to comment on a result. It was 0-0 against a side who apart from beating Edinburgh City haven't won a league game in 7 matches now. 10 matches if you exclude their win against us at Palmerston. Forgive me for not giving a shit that we "played well". Even when we play well we can't muster a win. Sorry, but I'm past the point of picking up tiny positives in amongst a sea of negatives. 

🤷🏻‍♂️

As has already been covered, a better performance today, not so much tippy-tappying about at the back and at least making the opposition keeper work. Can't remember Botterrill having a save to make an defence looked fairly solid.  Luckily we didn't fall to the usual late sucker punch. Mumbongo did well when he came on, at least gave the Kelty defence something to worry about and unlucky with a shot off the post, I won't get too carried about him yet though. I don't like criticising Refs but that one today doesn't help himself, how he worked out some of those early bookings is a mystery. Someone must have had a word with him at half time 'cos he calmed down a bit. Anyway clean sheet and a point away from home against ( another) bogey team not to be sniffed at even if Kelty weren't at their best.

25 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I had the conversation on the way out of the ground with my dad that I’m sick of hearing Bartley praise the performance after a shit result, and uninspiring performance. But if he comes out with it this week I’m completely with him on it, tbh.  We did everything except score, but were bloody close on several occasions. If we were in a better position you’d just write it off as one of those days, but our overall situation makes that harder to do. 

If it's the start of a corner turn then I'll reflect differently but I'm just fed up with the acceptance of mediocrity tbh. The statement from the BoD this week has clearly had a bigger effect on me than I thought. A better performance is encouraging to hear but it was still against one of the weaker sides in the division. That we couldn't find a way past them doesn't really fill me with confidence tbh. 

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If it's the start of a corner turn then I'll reflect differently but I'm just fed up with the acceptance of mediocrity tbh. The statement from the BoD this week has clearly had a bigger effect on me than I thought. A better performance is encouraging to hear but it was still against one of the weaker sides in the division. That we couldn't find a way past them doesn't really fill me with confidence tbh. 

Think the news in the week put me on a downer.

Not really interested on how we played it is all about the result we are really struggling to score goals getting close means nothing 

Nice to see us finally set up with some intent in going at a team. Imho we really missed Gibson yesterday. McKechnie really frustrated me, he was so wasteful in possession and his attempts on goal.

We did generally move the ball forward a lot quicker although we did have a spell in the second half where we resorted to Bartley's norm.

Both Reilly and Mumbongo were unlucky with both hitting the far post with good efforts. Very fine margins and on another day both would have gone in.

I'll reserve judgement on Mumbongo until I see more but on first sight he was better than I expected.

Not for the first time this season some of our substitutions were weird and the latter two took all the urgency out of our game. McGuffie on for Connelly, with Guff totally slowing things down and I felt sorry for Kilsby. Bartley talks about him being a left sided cb, he's played well at LB for Annan yet Bartley sent him on to play wide left. He looked lost, did he actually touch the ball?

Kelty, without working Botterill caused us a few issues in the first half as their front two roughed up our back three more than any others this season.

McKay probably had his best game for us and was my mom. 

Any I'd say that's our slim chances of grabbing the final play off place gone, just need to keep an eye on what's going on below us.