Best away day in the Championship.

Best Championship away day  

244 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Following some claims that a certain Lanarkshire club was one of the best away days in the league, I thought I'd let the P&Bership strip me of my biases and reveal the truth.

Use whatever criteria you wish, don't overthink it, and let's all take a moment to thank the footballing gods that Cove is no longer an option.

16 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Following some claims that a certain Lanarkshire club was one of the best away days in the league, I thought I'd let the P&Bership strip me of my biases and reveal the truth.

Use whatever criteria you wish, don't overthink it, and let's all take a moment to thank the footballing gods that Cove is no longer an option.

Made no such claim that Airdrie was one of the best away days, only that other fans had been complimentary and that we had been recognized as a town/team about a certain visit.  A good read for all fans if you have 5, look forward to welcoming all Championship fans to The Excelsior between now and the end of the season 

https://thefitbanomad.wordpress.com/2022/02/13/doting-on-the-diamonds/

1. Arbroath

Best day out by far. 

2. Queens Park 

Debated whether the shiteness of an empty Hampden should have it lower but think the southside pubs save it.  

3. Ayr United

Not living in Ayr or driving I get to treat home games like an away day so know it's a good one. 

4. Greenock Morton

Decent fun pubs if you head into Greenock before the game.  Now they seem to be letting folk behind the goals again it's lifted a little.  

5. Partick Thistle 

Probably further down my list due to living in Glasgow and not a big fan of this bit of town for drinking.  

6. Raith Rovers

Decent fun day out but pretty low on the selection of decent pubs.  

7. Dundee United

Only so far down because I find it a little far from both the train station and pubs that I enjoy.  

8. Dunfermline Athletic

It's not terrible (unless you get moved out of the away stand) but it's also not great for a day out either. 

9. Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Rubbish day out, just sat in transport all day.  Stadium not near a decent pub. 

10. Airdrieonians 

Shite toon, stadium not near a decent pub.  

Arbroath and it's not even close. Good pubs, cracking ground, the perfect distance from Glasgow. It's probably my favourite in the whole country.

Went for Raith as number two. I'm not sure it's objectively that exciting but I always end up having a good day there. Probably helps that we've had a couple of really satisfying wins there relatively recently too.

I like Thistle away, but having ground shared there for a whole season recently and played them about a million times in the league/playoffs/cups over the past couple of seasons I'm over the novelty at this stage.

Controversially I think Somerset Park is shite and don't like watching a game of football there whatsoever, so that has an impact on where I'd put Ayr, but overall it'd another decent trip.

I've only ever been to East End Park once, and while I enjoyed relegating them I'd need to experience it again to give it a fair rating, so we'll see if the game there is called off for a third time this weekend or not. Think it has potential though.

Airdrie is by far the worst. Terrible ground, miles from anything at all, can't think of any redeeming features whatsoever.

Don't have any strong feelings on United, Morton, or Inverness. They're all ok.

Good thread this. Arbroath for me as well, and by a country mile. Always good craic with their supporters before and after games, steak & black pies, plus the improvements they’ve made to the ground are impressive. Somerset Park in at 2nd simply because I’m fond of old-school, traditional grounds rather than Lego ones.

Got to be Arbroath.  A PROPER football ground, watching football from a terrace.  Decent supporters who you can have a chat with.  Decent pie.  Grab a few smokies for taking home too.  
The rest don't even merit a mention.....

Worst for me would be Ayr.  Don't get me wrong, a decent proper football ground, but over 2 hours to come home with a beating as usual......?  (I've been to Somerset over 20 times and saw us win there ONCE).  Not been for a few years.

Arbroath, Ayr, Dundee United, Hampden and Firhill are probably comfortably the top 5. I actually think Tannadice might be under-rated based on this thread so far - some cracking pubs that are well-priced, near the ground and a decent away end. Only thing that spoils it is the price to get in. I like most of the grounds as an away day in this league actually. The Caley Stadium is easily the worst although Inverness itself is good for a weekend away so if you can manage or afford that you're still onto a winner. New Broomfield is objectively a terrible place to watch football but I do think some of the pubs are probably unknown/under-rated for away day purposes. West End Bar (unless you Tweet about wanting a square-go), Cue Here and The Albert are all grand places for a pint and aren't that far from the ground. 

Arbroath and Raith the best for me. 

QP, Airdrie and Inverness are all very poor, while even Ayr I think is vastly overrated. 

It's quite a poor division for away days tbh, might just be because I've done them all but there's little intrigue to them. 

Arbroath is by far and away the best one.

Went for Dundee United second as there are plenty of decent pubs in the centre and by the ground. Almost went for QP but the Hampden experience lets it down.

45 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

It's quite a poor division for away days tbh, might just be because I've done them all but there's little intrigue to them. 

I’m the complete opposite tbh, as you say tho it may be due to the fact we’ve not been in this division for a decade and maybe the novelty will wear off but I do think it’s a great league for away days.

Its made even better by the fact that ours is the only shite away day which I don’t have to deal with.