New Sensible Soccer

Venti

26 minutes ago, Venti said:

Might give it a bash.

The whole point of Sensible Soccer was the shit graphics and silly names.  And red cards,   Mainly red cards, in retrospect.  I hope it’s every bit as shit/great. 

Edited by Savage Henry

48 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

The whole point of Sensible Soccer was the shit graphics and silly names.  And red cards,   Mainly red cards, in retrospect.  I hope it’s every bit as shit/great. 

Mind Sensibile World of Soccer? You could pass a ball from the half way line into the goal.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

This says "Sociable" is tht the same?

Also why kill the Sensi/SWOS memory again?

Maybe they couldn't use Sensi? Or wanted a change.

Think we all like the top-down camera from the OG.

13 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

And the fact that one button could pass, shoot, header or tackle. Simpler times. 

14 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

...and this tune.

It'll be shite unfortunately, although it already looks it. It's Sensible Software head honcho Jon Hare, who doesn't have the rights to the Sensible Soccer name anymore, but that's still better than the occasional low-effort "revival" cash-ins churned out every few years when the naming rights change hands. Seriously, look at how many terrible Sensible Soccer and Kick Off games have been released over the years.

Unfortunately, a lot of the Nineties UK game developers don't seem to have much of an idea what people liked about their old games - the new versions are often really poor attempts to convert them into a modern sensibility. The multiple attempts to bring back Speedball 2 have all been bafflingly poor.

22 hours ago, BFTD said:

It'll be shite unfortunately, although it already looks it. It's Sensible Software head honcho Jon Hare, who doesn't have the rights to the Sensible Soccer name anymore, but that's still better than the occasional low-effort "revival" cash-ins churned out every few years when the naming rights change hands. Seriously, look at how many terrible Sensible Soccer and Kick Off games have been released over the years.

Unfortunately, a lot of the Nineties UK game developers don't seem to have much of an idea what people liked about their old games - the new versions are often really poor attempts to convert them into a modern sensibility. The multiple attempts to bring back Speedball 2 have all been bafflingly poor.

Right.  It shouldn’t be hard to do.  Just put in the absolute minimum of effort and do exactly the same thing 30 years down the line.  

It’s a bit like Championship Manager, all the bells and whistles detract.  All we want is to be able to sign Ged Brennan and Peter Ndlovu and beat Gala Fairydean 14-0 in a pre-season  friendly.  

Edited by Savage Henry

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Right.  It should  be hard to do.  Just put in the absolute minimum of effort and do exactly the same thing 30 years down the line.  

It’s a bit like Championship Manager, all the bells and whistles detract.  All we want is to be able to sign Ged Brennan and Peter Ndlovu and beat Gala Fairydean 14-0 in a pre-season  friendly.  

There was a re-release of The Chaos Engine that got pelters about ten years ago - it almost looked like it had been emulated from the Amiga A1200 version, and people weren't happy that it was so low effort. I was a bit bemused, as that's exactly what I wanted from a Chaos Engine rerelease. I can think of a few extras that would've been nice - new levels, or a level editor would've been one - but the original game running nicely on my modern PC for £6.99? Aye, I'll take that.

There's a real gap in the market for a Championship Manager style game - Football Manager left me behind about a decade ago, unfortunately. I do not have time for the modern version; tearing through a season in an evening is about the level of investment I'm willing to put in.

41 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkant said:

This thread lead me to a walk down Match Day/Match Day II/International Match Day lane with its red and blue pitches, hyper realistic crowd sound effects and rapid motion match play.

Here, judge for yourself.

I always picture you giving Match Day and Horace Goes Skiing a daily bash as a reward for dingying another comparison report on aggregates.

I already know what you picture me giving a daily bash  :ph34r:

One of my best days at Uni in the early 90s was skiving off classes and playing Sensi with my flatmates all day. Only time we left the flat was to go to the chippy for tea.

19 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Right.  It should  be hard to do.  Just put in the absolute minimum of effort and do exactly the same thing 30 years down the line.  

me, burned out on FM, trying to work out what adjusting the multitude of sliders/instructions/settings actually fucking does:

image.png.bcfe17f800773385871abcf88aa4d82d.png

• 3 weeks later...

The idea of an updated version of Sensible Soccer fills me with more than a bit of sadness.

The graphics should be ropey. The gameplay should be fun - pick up and play for an hour or two without really bothering about all the shite you get with EA's football game. And they should have the option of daft teams like the Kids TV XI that let you play as Zippy or Bungle.

Forgot to mention that you can still buy Sensible World of Soccer for less than the price of a meal at McDonalds, it'll work on your 2024 PC, and people are still producing patches that update the game with modern players and teams from around the world. I'd link to them but there are more than you'd imagine, so Google is your friend - I downloaded one a few years ago and it was pretty impressive, plus easy to install (if anyone's worried about that).

I played original Sensible Soccer more than the sequel, but it's still one of the best football games ever made, even removing the rose-tinted specs as much as possible. They could literally have just added more daft wee animations and features to the original SWOS over the past three decades and it would've been massively better than any of the revival attempts to date, and probably sold better too.