Minutes by Scottish players

Total number of minutes played by Scottish() players aged 23 or younger.

Results after 25 Weeks of football this season

1st - Kilmarnock 5667/24750 minutes (22.90% of available minutes)

2nd - Dundee 3412/22770 minutes (14.99% of available minutes)

3rd - Aberdeen 2277/21780 minutes (10.45% of available minutes)

4th - St Johnstone 2155/23760 minutes (9.08% of available minutes)

5th - Hearts 1281/24750 minutes (5.18% of available minutes)

6th - Hibernian 1206/24750 minutes (5.08% of available minutes)

7th - Livingstone 1222/24750 minutes (4.94% of available minutes)

8th - Motherwell 834/23760 minutes (3.51% of available minutes)

9th - Ross County 599/22770 minutes (2.63% of available minutes)

10th - St.Mirren 503/24750 minutes (2.03% of available minutes)

11th - Celtic 181/24750 minutes (0.73% of available minutes)

12th - Rangers 34/23760 minutes (0.14% of available minutes)

Total minutes played by Scottish players aged 23 or younger in the top flight of Scottish football= 6.77%..(19,371/286,110)

Duel nationality players are not included, only players who are declared as Scottish. (This has already took long enough to do without having to research every player to see if they’re eligible for Scotland , Eventually we’ll add them in).

End goal? ⁃Build the same for Spain, Italy, England, Germany and France, see where Scotland correlates. I am deeply worried about the lack of minutes been given to young Scottish players in Scotland. I understand players are moving away to academies in England, across the continent etc, but the ones here aren’t developing enough as they are not playing.

1. Are the pathways to first teams failing? 2. Are Scotland not producing enough young talent? 3. both? Will be updated weekly below

(Not my post, stole off twitter)

It's an interesting metric and probably a good one as for a strong national team/game  we're probably going to have to adopt the route of - develop and sell to a big league, so in an ideal world we'd have lots of younger guys getting minutes and developing before moving on. The McGinns, Hickeys, and Fergusons* of this world being prime examples

*Lewis, not his wastel uncle of course

18 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I usually find people who are into this sort of thing are great fun and definitely don't need their hard drives ransacked by government officials.

1 minute ago, PSJ.84 said:

Ewan Murray will be all over this. 

Exhibit A, your honour.

It’s not surprising to see St Mirren down at the bottom of the diddies. 

Unfortunately we have seen a number of young players depart our club in recent seasons to clubs with greater financial resources. 

Transferring Ethan Erhahon, Dylan Reid and Jay Henderson who I believe all came through our academy. 

We have mostly been a selling club of young talent for decades. Many youngsters who started with St Mirren went on to win major honours (including European cups) after they left. 

We are now trying to get smarter by selling early while under contract with % sell on clauses to try and hit the jackpot later on. That’s certainly the hope with players like McGinn, Erhahon and Reid. Now a waiting game. 

The alternative is to keep these youngsters and then they just run their contract down and move freely once they hit a certain age. 

Scotland definitely produces enough talent. Unfortunately most of them tend to get swept up by The Rangers and Celtic. Who's only plan for them is to hoard them instead of giving them playing time. By the time that the players move on from those clubs they are 24-25 years of age with 10 years of their career left.

They join shite like East Kilbride etc and are never heard from again.

Basically, The Rangers and Celtic just should not be allowed to do that. They rarely even send the youngsters out on loan, whereas Hearts, Hibs etc usually tend to.

2 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

I usually find people who are into this sort of thing are great fun and definitely don't need their hard drives ransacked by government officials.

I think it's very interesting, but I'm glad he did it and not me.

2 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think it's very interesting

Exhibit : B.

I feel I have no further need to continue my case, your honour.

4 hours ago, Empty It said:

Not enough B Teams imo.

Aye, Celtic will be winning the Champions League soon with the experience their young guns have had playing Edinburgh Uni and Broomhill in the Lowland League. 

Incidentally the squad for the last U-21s game:

Scotland Under-21 Squad

Goalkeepers

Vicent Angelini Brentford
Jack Newman Dundee United
Cieran Slicker Ipswich Town

Defenders

Ibane Bowat TSV Hartberg (on loan from Fulham)
Adam Devine Rangers
Robbie Fraser Rangers
Jeremian Mullen Leeds United
Lewis Neilson* Partick Thistle (on loan from Heart of Midlothian)

Midfielders

Connor Barron* Aberdeen
Lyall Cameron* Dundee
Aidan Denholm Heart of Midlothian
Ryan Duncan Aberdeen
Kai Fotheringham* Dundee United
Leon King Rangers
Alex Lowry* Heart of Midlothian (on loan from Rangers)
Cole McKinnon Rangers
Dire Mebude KVC Westerlo
Finlay Robertson* Dundee

Forwards

Kieron Bowie Northampton Town (on loan from Fulham)
Ben Doak Liverpool
Michael Mellon Morecambe (on loan from Burnley)
Robbie Ure RSCA Futures

*Denotes Scottish FA JD Performance School graduate

Obvious bias against Killie there! 

2 hours ago, LogieLivi said:

Scotland definitely produces enough talent. Unfortunately most of them tend to get swept up by The Rangers and Celtic. Who's only plan for them is to hoard them instead of giving them playing time. By the time that the players move on from those clubs they are 24-25 years of age with 10 years of their career left.

Basically, The Rangers and Celtic just should not be allowed to do that. They rarely even send the youngsters out on loan, whereas Hearts, Hibs etc usually tend to.

I’m not sure that’s entirely accurate. We are simply part of the same food chain. Anyone that shows any promise is subsequently snapped up (generally by English sides) before they are even considered ready for the first team.

Nathan Patterson and Rory Wilson have both have transfers to the Premier League as soon as they broke through or were about to. I think it’s been similar with Celtic with the likes of Doak and Hepburn.

15 minutes ago, AJF said:

I’m not sure that’s entirely accurate. We are simply part of the same food chain. Anyone that shows any promise is subsequently snapped up (generally by English sides) before they are even considered ready for the first team.

Nathan Patterson and Rory Wilson have both have transfers to the Premier League as soon as they broke through or were about to. I think it’s been similar with Celtic with the likes of Doak and Hepburn.

Patterson the only one there who got near the first team i think?

Celtic and Rangers could absolutely expose 16yo wonderkids to their first team and stand more chance of keeping them. You see that with Leon King IMO, who i reckon could easily have left for a EPL u23 side by now, and who i thinik might go that route this Summer.

Celtic have zero excuse for the lack of youth products too, while Rangers at least were trying to catch up. Who was even the last breakthrough there? Technically Ralston or Welsh i imagine, before that youre looking at McGregor and Forrest?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Patterson the only one there who got near the first team i think?

Celtic and Rangers could absolutely expose 16yo wonderkids to their first team and stand more chance of keeping them. You see that with Leon King IMO, who i reckon could easily have left for a EPL u23 side by now, and who i thinik might go that route this Summer.

Celtic have zero excuse for the lack of youth products too, while Rangers at least were trying to catch up. Who was even the last breakthrough there? Technically Ralston or Welsh i imagine, before that youre looking at McGregor and Forrest?

I think it needs to have a balance though. I really would love to see us go down a more youth friendly development route, particularly as I think we actually have a manager now that can manage and develop youth players well if McCausland’s progress is anything to go by.

But with King, he featured quite heavily under Gio and I think it actually set him back to be quite honest. I think he played in each of our 6 champions league tankings his break through season and he looked absolutely sapped of confidence by the end of the season. So there is always a risk of throwing them in too early.

3 hours ago, LogieLivi said:

All the top English clubs are doing exactly the same now, hence why clubs are loaning players so much.

The Old Firm just happen to be doing a shite job of developing the ones they hoard

25 minutes ago, AJF said:

Aye, poor wee Rangers.

Celtic and Rangers' youth players undoubtedly get snapped up by elite academies, but I think that excuse distracts from the players who have come through at lesser Scottish clubs who could have been first team players at one of the Old Firm. 

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Aye, poor wee Rangers.

It’s not a sob story as I appreciate we are in a very different position to other clubs in Scotland. I suppose my point was: we are still susceptible to the same risk of losing our most promising youth players to bigger sides but appreciate we don’t do enough to give more opportunities to homegrown talent.

Edited by AJF