Greenock Morton v Heart of Midlothian

A home tie against a very good Premier league team with a class act striker who's on fire 🔥 

This has all the makings of a brilliant cup tie. A huge away support (3600 wde and 600 main stand) will be the maximum and hopefully 5/6k home fans and it's a sell out not played hearts in the cup at home in what feels like forever.

After Friday we should be absolutely buzzing and go into this with no fear although it's still a month away and form can change for both teams. 

Light the blue touch paper and bring it fkn on ⚽

Morton general manager, Dale Pryde-MacDonald, says in the Greenock Telegraph today, "We should have communicated about a fortnight ago, as to what the capacity was going to be on Friday."

"That  probably is going to be what the capacity is going to be when there's a live TV game here"

So, it looks like a capacity of less than 7,000, for the game against Heart of Midlothian.

Good tie for both teams. We realistically wanted to get a home tie and avoid the old firm so even though it will be a tough game we can go in with a decent amount of hope. For all the clichés of no one will want to play Morton at cappielow, we are clearly the most favourite tie left In the draw so hearts fans will be overjoyed given their potential cup draws to a semi final that they've had. 

Our record against teams that play football on the deck has been good the last two seasons so I'd fancy our chances against hearts compared to someone like airdrie who tried to play them at their own game but were up against better players. We will make it an absolute battle that hearts will need to win first before anything and if they're not up to it it could be a very rough night for them. 

A Friday night game again would be my preference. Cappielow under the lights is magical. 

Very happy with the draw. We were obviously going to be underdogs regardless of who we got, so a home tie against a non-old firm team with a big away support is definitely something to look forward to. Shame that the cameras will be getting in the way again but no doubt we'll sell it out anyway. Full trust in Dale and the club to improve on Friday night, even though they done a fairly good job in the end.

Hearts are a significant step up from Motherwell, closer to the quality of Celtic and Rangers than they are to Motherwell in my opinion but I'm confident we can give anyone a game at Cappielow. Fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed that Shankland gets injured or sent off in 2 weeks time.

Was funny hearing the commentator the other night saying nobody would want to go to Cappielow. This is the draw everyone I know wanted, and it should be a great occasion.

As for the tie itself, if we can't get to the semi final having drawn three lower league teams, then it's only ourselves to blame.

Can't wait.

2 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Were there any fans in the stadiums last time Hearts were in the Championship? I cant remember, was in the midst of covid restrictions IIRC. Will be the first time the Hearts fans will be in Cappielow since 1987 if so.

No fans last time. Can't wait to get along to Cappielow.

2 hours ago, NewarkTon said:

Morton general manager, Dale Pryde-MacDonald, says in the Greenock Telegraph today, "We should have communicated about a fortnight ago, as to what the capacity was going to be on Friday."

"That  probably is going to be what the capacity is going to be when there's a live TV game here"

So, it looks like a capacity of less than 7,000, for the game against Heart of Midlothian.

Then Dale had better be having a rethink because that's a shit show. 

There's far to much space given up in the shed to presenters and easily fit an extra 1500 in there and another 1000 in sinclar St end. This needs sorted as a priority. 

8 minutes ago, Gmfc 23 said:

There's far to much space given up in the shed to presenters and easily fit an extra 1500 in there and another 1000 in sinclar St end. This needs sorted as a priority. 

Yeah, utter shite cutting the capacity. Fill the Sinclair St end and sell tickets for it separately. 

21 minutes ago, Gmfc 23 said:

There's far to much space given up in the shed to presenters and easily fit an extra 1500 in there and another 1000 in sinclar St end. This needs sorted as a 

I was in the main stand for the Motherwell game and it seemed about half full as was the Sinclair Street end. 

Obviously the explanation provided by Dale for the capacity calculations made some sense but my impression was that they were over cautious and that many more spectators could have been accommodated.

On the space taken up for the tv studio, when we had games on BT sport a few years back, they built a studio over the first aid/groundsman's office IIRC. Get that done again, 1000 fans shouldn't be losing out on attending the game to accommodate that.

Edited by Stevie Aitken's Love Child

Club need to be addressing the reduced capacity to accommodate the the TV companies pronto. If TV studios and that much segregation are needed then it shouldn't be out the home allocation. 

Got to be a way to have Sinclair St end and cowshed as separate areas, obviously toilet and catering an issue but surely something temporary could be put in place. 

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Was funny hearing the commentator the other night saying nobody would want to go to Cappielow. This is the draw everyone I know wanted, and it should be a great occasion.

As for the tie itself, if we can't get to the semi final having drawn three lower league teams, then it's only ourselves to blame.

Can't wait.

I assumed he meant that no away team would be wanting to go to Cappielow from a footballing perspective.

56 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I assumed he meant that no away team would be wanting to go to Cappielow from a footballing perspective.

Even then, Celtic, Rangers, Killie, Aberdeen, Hibs away all worse draws.

It's a great draw for fans and it's a winnable tie. Media get carried away with "nobody wants to go to..." stuff.

3 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Were there any fans in the stadiums last time Hearts were in the Championship? I cant remember, was in the midst of covid restrictions IIRC. Will be the first time the Hearts fans will be in Cappielow since 1987 if so.

I was there that day in 1987, my only trip to Cappielow, for a 0-0 draw on Boxing Day I'm sure :D 

8 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Even then, Celtic, Rangers, Killie, Aberdeen, Hibs away all worse draws.

It's a great draw for fans and it's a winnable tie. Media get carried away with "nobody wants to go to..." stuff.

Hibs away is always an easy fixture for us mate ;)