Greenock Morton v Heart of Midlothian

7 hours ago, stu_mfc said:

Club need to be addressing the reduced capacity to accommodate the the TV companies pronto. If TV studios and that much segregation are needed then it shouldn't be out the home allocation. 

Got to be a way to have Sinclair St end and cowshed as separate areas, obviously toilet and catering an issue but surely something temporary could be put in place. 

We don't even need .them as seperate areas. Just sell it as we always do and allow men, women and children access to the toilets and pie stall as we've always done. if it's pishing down and people get wet in Sinclair Street end because the cowshed is full, so be it, they'll get wet just like the 3000 Hearts fans.

It wasn't an issue in big games against KIllie, DU,Peterhead, Stranraer, St Mirren etc so shouldn't be an issue now.

Edited by madton

36 minutes ago, madton said:

We don't even need .them as seperate areas. Just sell it as we always do and allow men, women and children access to the toilets and pie stall as we've always done. if it's pishing down and people get wet in Sinclair Street end becuase the cowshed is full, so be it, they'll get wet just like the 3000 Hearts fans.

It wasn't an issue in big games against KIllie, DU,Peterhead, Stranraer, St Mirren etc so shouldn't be an issue now.

Don't disagree, but if the club are using this as the excuse to reduce capacity on H & S grounds then it needs to be looked at, either they have made a mistake and reversing the decision or if its valid decision put measures in place.

Morton v Hearts was the tie I wanted. It will be a tough match but if it can replicate the atmosphere of our previous rivalry in the days of Andy Ritchie, it’ll be absolute fireworks! It made Ton v St Mirren look like mild banter. 

Our first home Scottish Cup Quarter final for 25 years. It would be very disappointing if the capacity is restricted in a similar way to Friday night. 

I think 4 or our last 5 Scottish Cup QFs have been 0-3 defeats to Celtic (the other being a 2-5 against Killie after threatening to make a comeback from 3 nil down in that one). I hope this one goes better.  

2 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Our first home Scottish Cup Quarter final for 25 years. It would be very disappointing if the capacity is restricted in a similar way to Friday night. 

I think 4 or our last 5 Scottish Cup QFs have been 0-3 defeats to Celtic (the other being a 2-5 against Killie after threatening to make a comeback from 3 nil down in that one). I hope this one goes better.  

I’ve got a feeling this one will go better. Friday night was the first time in recent memory when our manager asked the fans to pack Cappielow and back the team, and our players actually gave the fans something to cheer about. It felt like a breakthrough moment to me, similar to past occasions when Hal Stewart, Benny Rooney and Allan McGraw were our managers. 
When Dougie said we’ll take anyone at Cappielow he meant it!

1874 = Morton FC founded.

1874 = Heart of Midlothian FC founded.

1874 = First Scottish Cup final played.

150 years later - all three come together. There's not another fixture globally (nor is there ever likely to be) which celebrates a combined history of 450 years - just 50 years shy of half a millenium. That's an incredible legacy for both teams, and also for the competition we're playing in. Win or lose, supporters of both sides should be proud of just being at this game, and of the Scottish fitba history it represents.

We'll go into this as complete underdogs, and it's worth mentioning that we have the lowest budget in the Championship, just to put this gaping chasm into perspective. Hearts played some lovely, flowing football against Airdrie, scoring some absolute stoaters along the way. Unlike the lacklustre Motherwell the other night, they look and play like a proper Premiership team - right up there with the best the country has to offer. Shankland's a machine and the understandable media focus because of his epic strike rate, but there's quality running throughout the whole side, and they'll be incredibly difficult to control, let alone beat. They also have a keeper who isn't a bombscare, and they'll bring a fantastic travelling support who I'm sure will once again help turn Cappielow into a deafening, hoaching cauldron.

That said, we're unbeaten now in 13 games, not having lost since 18th November 2023. and Irrespective of the fact that our opposition is nowhere near the quality of Hearts, that's still quite the achievement. In Dougie Imrie, we have a manager who has the ability to get his players to run through brick walls for him, and the fighting spirit and confidence in the camp is as high as I've ever known it. He also has the ability to read our opponents exceptionally well, and put individual gameplans in place which are highly specific to whoever we're playing. The magic of the Scottish Cup for me, though, is that games can sometimes be won by on-paper inferior teams through sheer guts, determination, and just wanting it more. I'm sure everyone reading this will know just how up for this we'll be - it has the makings of an absolute classic blood-and-guts cup tie. My head says that it will be a Hearts win, but my heart's hoping for the wee miracle.

Mon eh Ton !!

Edited by Chippyminton

9 hours ago, NewarkTon said:

Morton general manager, Dale Pryde-MacDonald, says in the Greenock Telegraph today, "We should have communicated about a fortnight ago, as to what the capacity was going to be on Friday."

"That  probably is going to be what the capacity is going to be when there's a live TV game here"

So, it looks like a capacity of less than 7,000, for the game against Heart of Midlothian.

This is bullshit.  We've had several games down the years with no reduced capacity to accommodate live TV.  Why is it suddenly an issue?  There should be circa 10,000 at this.  No excuses.

18 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

This is bullshit.  We've had several games down the years with no reduced capacity to accommodate live TV.  Why is it suddenly an issue?  There should be circa 10,000 at this.  No excuses.

7300 in for our first game vs Rangers in the league a few years ago with the pundits being housed in the Sinclair St end. It’s a complete nonsense if we are losing out on support + gate revenue because the BBC want 3 of their employees based down the front of the shed. 

IMG_5913.jpeg

Edited by Scosha

At the Airdrie vs Hearts game, the pundits (including Dougie) were standing on the pitch, not sat on top of an ivory-tower pile of space-taking scaffolding. A better solution all round IMHO - and easier for them to get to the pie stall.

1968 Semi Final match up revisited. First game at Hampden 1-1 then 2-1 replay with Norway's first ever professional (Roald "Kniksen" Jensen) scoring the winner for Hearts in the replay.

Roald may have been the first footballer "from" Scotland to have a statue built (outside Brann Bergen's ground). Roald has an award named after him the "Kniksen" (Juggler) award for the best young Norwegian footballer.  He's one of the best players I've ever seen but sadly the subject of several "kickings" from opponents back in the day...... He sadly died quite young from a heart attack while playing football.

As soon as Hearts' 4th went in on Sunday I texted my dad to say that we'd be playing them at Scapa. The reply was "just like old times". 

Very clear memories of the games in the late 70s early 80s - always close affairs (except for the League Cup double header when Hearts let us cuff them twice to get our 78-79 season off the ground). Played them eight times that season yet this is the first time we will have met at Cappielow (in a competitive fixture) with fans in attendance since the 0-0 draw in on Boxing Day 1987 (one of the most entertaining goalless games I've ever seen).

Cannot wait for this game.

On 12/02/2024 at 09:23, VincentGuerin said:

Was funny hearing the commentator the other night saying nobody would want to go to Cappielow.

He might have just meant because people in general don't really want to visit Greenock.

Which is harsh

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

15 hours ago, Chippyminton said:

At the Airdrie vs Hearts game, the pundits (including Dougie) were standing on the pitch, not sat on top of an ivory-tower pile of space-taking scaffolding. A better solution all round IMHO - and easier for them to get to the pie stall.

The radio commentator was having to do his commentary standing on a chair 

3 hours ago, Molotov said:

Tie of the round for me.
Hope our neighbours triumph over the maroon mob. 
Jack Baird to “malky” Shankland early doors. 
I would like to see a repeat of this image at the end of the game in the WDE.

IMG_7611.gif.16ed9ead98557f6881598c65615e506d.gif

All i can take from this is St Mirren have a tinpot rivalry with Morton.

44 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

All i can take from this is St Mirren have a tinpot rivalry with Morton.

Given we’ve not played each other in the top flight since circa 1988 I’d say that’s pretty accurate.

On 12/02/2024 at 11:04, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

On the space taken up for the tv studio, when we had games on BT sport a few years back, they built a studio over the first aid/groundsman's office IIRC. Get that done again, 1000 fans shouldn't be losing out on attending the game to accommodate that.

Get this man on the Safety Officer group.

Move them

On 12/02/2024 at 20:08, Alberto Spencer said:

1968 Semi Final match up revisited. First game at Hampden 1-1 then 2-1 replay with Norway's first ever professional (Roald "Kniksen" Jensen) scoring the winner for Hearts in the replay.

Roald may have been the first footballer "from" Scotland to have a statue built (outside Brann Bergen's ground). Roald has an award named after him the "Kniksen" (Juggler) award for the best young Norwegian footballer.  He's one of the best players I've ever seen but sadly the subject of several "kickings" from opponents back in the day...... He sadly died quite young from a heart attack while playing football.

I remember it well as I attended both games. Roald Jensen was indeed a fine player and scored in both matches. In the replay it was from a penalty in extra time with 2 minutes left. We were gutted as Donald Ford was miles offside when he ran through and then took the ball wide of goal, so had no chance of scoring when he went down under a fair challenge. I'm still gutted now reliving it!

58 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I remember it well as I attended both games. Roald Jensen was indeed a fine player and scored in both matches. In the replay it was from a penalty in extra time with 2 minutes left. We were gutted as Donald Ford was miles offside when he ran through and then took the ball wide of goal, so had no chance of scoring when he went down under a fair challenge. I'm still gutted now reliving it!

Hard to tell from these highlights about Fordy (onside or offside) but it is a clear penalty and he would have scored if not "blocked" by the goalie. Donald's pace was what helped him into the Scotland Team for the World cup Finals in Germany.

Edited by Alberto Spencer