Greenock Morton v Heart of Midlothian

6 minutes ago, SEETHING said:

Gosh, I hope we're not caught cold by (at best) half-fit eight-goal superstar "George Oakley".

Wonder if Joma will force him to play a la Nike forcing Ronaldo to play in the 1998 World Cup Final. 

Oakley has 10 goals in his last 13 games. I'm not suggesting that Hearts should be terrified of him or anything, but he's an important player for us. Even more for the way he leads the line than for his goals - we simply don't have a replacement. It's like if Hearts were missing Shankland against whichever semi-competent European team they were playing - it might not make the difference, but it does add some slight hope. 

For the record, I hope he's out. :lol: Hubris aside, the prospect of Toby Sibbick starting in defence for Hertz vs any competent striker gives me the fear.

If Hearts go with the same team that faced Celtic, with Gordon in for Clark and Tait in for Nieuwenhof, I'd be happy. 

Edited by SEETHING

1 minute ago, LargsTON said:

Oakley was on Radio Scotland this morning and more or less confirmed he'd miss out.

The posters above heard it and are clutching on to the 'more or less'...

I'm not sure how explicit Imrie and Oakley himself have to be in their repeated definitive statements that there is absolutely no fucking chance Oakley is making it for tonight before people accept that he is not going to make it tonight. "End of the month at the earliest" and "I just won't make it, another couple of weeks" out of their mouths and still people are clutching at non-existent straws.

We were probably getting a shafting even with him in the team, but in his absence we need to stop fucking about with Quitongo up front and Muirhead out wide. It's a massive downgrade either way but get Muirhead through the middle, Quitongo and Garrity out wide and try to get into the final third by getting it to the feet of the front three rather than clinging to the forlorn hope that playing off second balls the way we can when Oakley and Wilson are in the team could ever work without them.

We'll more than likely get carved open anyway and with Naismith having watched us once he'll have identified what every Championship manager has in that going down our right will guarantee chances because Tyler French exists, but he's so bad that persisting with Blues on the right to protect him doesn't matter. We know chances will come from that side anyway so we have to hope the rest of the defence and Mullen can deal with covering him, at least switching to actual wingers will give us a shot at creating something in possession.

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I'm not sure how explicit Imrie and Oakley himself have to be in their repeated definitive statements that there is absolutely no fucking chance Oakley is making it for tonight before people accept that he is not going to make it tonight. "End of the month at the earliest" and "I just won't make it, another couple of weeks" out of their mouths and still people are clutching at non-existent straws.

We were probably getting a shafting even with him in the team, but in his absence we need to stop fucking about with Quitongo up front and Muirhead out wide. It's a massive downgrade either way but get Muirhead through the middle, Quitongo and Garrity out wide and try to get into the final third by getting it to the feet of the front three rather than clinging to the forlorn hope that playing off second balls the way we can when Oakley and Wilson are in the team could ever work without them.

We'll more than likely get carved open anyway and with Naismith having watched us once he'll have identified what every Championship manager has in that going down our right will guarantee chances because Tyler French exists, but he's so bad that persisting with Blues on the right to protect him doesn't matter. We know chances will come from that side anyway so we have to hope the rest of the defence and Mullen can deal with covering him, at least switching to actual wingers will give us a shot at creating something in possession.

According to the BBC preview, Quitongo is out. Didn’t see him in any of the training clips at the weekend either. 

1 hour ago, SEETHING said:

For the record, I hope he's out. :lol: Hubris aside, the prospect of Toby Sibbick starting in defence for Hertz vs any competent striker gives me the fear.

If Hearts go with the same team that faced Celtic, with Gordon in for Clark and Tait in for Nieuwenhof, I'd be happy. 

Oakley and Sibbick were briefly at AFC Wimbledon together in 2017 

Oakley left for Inverness not long after Sibbick moved up from Wimbledon's U18s. They didn't play together but they did sit on the same subs bench

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

14 minutes ago, Scosha said:

According to the BBC preview, Quitongo is out. Didn’t see him in any of the training clips at the weekend either. 

Get him to the glue factory. Shouldn’t play for us again.

9 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Oakley and Sibbick were briefly at AFC Wimbledon together in 2017 

Oakley left for Inverness not long after Sibbick moved up from Wimbledon's U18s. They didn't play together but they did sit on the same subs bench

When you see clips of Quitongo's first spell at Morton it's a shame how much he's declined. 18 years old and rolling defenders for fun, end product at times too. These days you couldn't get him to challenge for a header if his life depended on it. Time to cut our losses and give someone else a run of games ahead of the final stretch.

35 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Get him to the glue factory. Shouldn’t play for us again.

He definitely brings something when fully fit, but with the squad size we're looking to run with for the foreseeable we can't afford to keep persisting with him. I reckon he'll be off in the summer, and may struggle to find a full-time gig again given his long list of injuries.

42 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

When you see clips of Quitongo's first spell at Morton it's a shame how much he's declined. 18 years old and rolling defenders for fun, end product at times too. These days you couldn't get him to challenge for a header if his life depended on it. Time to cut our losses and give someone else a run of games ahead of the final stretch.

His final product has always been patchy. Felt at the time that if he improved on that he'd go play at a higher level but it's never happened and now that he is declining physically pretty rapidly he doesn't offer much.

I'd be tempted to go 5-3-2 tonight, Garrity and Muirhead together up top might actually give defenders something to think about rather than it just constantly coming back to us and a bit more defensive support down the channels

30 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

I'd be tempted to go 5-3-2 tonight, Garrity and Muirhead together up top might actually give defenders something to think about rather than it just constantly coming back to us and a bit more defensive support down the channels

Could either be a masterstroke or could go exactly as you'd expect Broadfoot vs Shankland to go. Not wholeheartedly against it but I think we've got to stop Jorge Grant, Alan Forrest etc from playing, which would take out a hell of a lot of Shanklands game, so maybe better off flooding the midfield. Realistically if Hearts turn up with their A game they'll undo whatever we come up with.

Seemed to f**k that post up so will try again...

Looking forward to this. I think we'll go back to 4-3-3 for this. Gordon in for Clark, Sibbick to drop out which is harsh, but don't need the extra defender on a tight pitch against a team we'll be trying to attack. 

Beni, Devlin/Tait Grant in the middle with Vargas, Forrest and Shanks up top.

An early goal would be massive. Puts a dampener on the home support and would force Morton to open up a bit. Not that I think they'll be parking the bus, but they'll be compact and trying to attack when possible. An early goal would mean they can't be as cautious.