Free Agency 2024

peasy23

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

Giants add DB Jalen Mills and QB Drew Lock 😳

Interesting. So that leaves us with Geno. I'd strongly suspect we'll be picking up a QB in the draft then.

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Let Russ cook. 😜

No no no Russ is welding or smelting or doing whatever Steelers do. He tried riding and fell off.

Just now, Swarley said:

No no no Russ is welding or smelting or doing whatever Steelers do. He tried riding and fell off.

This ‘close season’ is already mental, and we’ve still got the draft to come. 

Let Russ Weld. 😎

4 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

If Kirk Cousins plays out his 4 years in Atlanta his career earnings will be over $411 million dollars 😳

This is a bigger con job than that Willy Wonka experience in Glasgow.

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I shouldn't be expecting too much from him then?

I take it you're not a fan?

The only positive thing I can say about him is he's usually available, and he plays every snap at flat-out 100%. The problem is, he's invariably doing the wrong thing completely at 100%. He also has a habit of throwing himself around and injuring team mates.

He was a complete and utter 1st round bust. We played him for 4 straight years because they traded up in the 1st to take him and had barely anything else at the position to replace him with. You need to wonder why the Titans have given $9m a year to a guy the Chargers never showed any interest in picking up the 5th year option on. I genuinely thought he'd end up signing for league minimum as camp fodder somewhere, but I'm over the moon about Tenn signing him because it should net the Chargers a decent Comp pick given we have next to no money to sign someone on a similar deal.

25 minutes ago, RiG said:

What are the Chargers doing today then? $24 million over the cap they need to cut a couple of these guys later today.

I’d imagine they will try and restructure Bosa or Allen and Williams could be released 

KA isn't particularly injury prone, that's a bit of a myth that really arose from missing 1.5 seasons really early in his career. Mike Williams is the guy who can't stay healthy. Even when he's a go, his usual M.O. is to make an acrobatic catch early in the game, then spend 5 minutes writhing around before going AWOL for the remainder. 

I think MW will either be a straight Cut or dealt to someone who wants ER (Pats supposedly interested) for a 6th/7th/swap of late rounders. I think KA will likely be a renegotiation, Bosa as well, and Mack the same as MW, i.e. either dealt for something trivial or Cut.

That's just my personal hunch, and all options are on the table obviously. Gut feeling though is KA is least likely to be leaving, then Bosa, then Mack, and MW more or less a certainty.

As things stand, they are approx $21m over the cap, with another $9m to tack on for the FA's they've signed, and the same again for their projected rookie pool. Cutting/trading Williams and Mack would give them all the space they actually need to become compliant, sign their FA's, sign their rookies, and leave the usual space for in-season contingencies, but if they have any designs on signing more FA's, which they really need to do given the lack of bodies at IDL, CB, and LB, then they need even more room, which is why I don't think they can keep Bosa and Allen without at least getting a Salary -> Bonus conversion out of one of them. I think two of the four are gone today, but the renegotiation with those who remain on the roster might not happen for a bit yet.

Edited by Boo Khaki

6 hours ago, RiG said:

What are the Chargers doing today then? $24 million over the cap they need to cut a couple of these guys later today.

Mike Williams cut, as expected.

Khalil Mack restructures his contract so he’ll be staying.

Bosa and KA still tbc. Chargers are now cap compliant, but if they want to make any more moves they’ll probably need to free up some more cash.

Allen and Bosa both have roster bonuses due Friday, so I expect we'll hear something about one or both before then. I think they've been shopping Bosa around, but unlike MW and Mack I don't think they'd have taken practically anything to get him off the books. I think this staff believes they can keep him healthy in a way that the previous regime never managed to, and from what he showed last season he's still capable of playing at a high level. I would have liked them to keep at least one of Bosa and Mack around, but if they can figure out a way to keep both and free up some cap space then that's great.

Reports say they'd like to bring MW back, but personally I'm hoping some other team removes that as a possibility. He's never lived up to his draft slot, can't stay healthy, and even when he is fit he has a habit of vanishing completely for entire games at a time. If he was a bit more consistent and less of a one-trick pony he'd be a decent #2 WR, but as thing are, I'd rather LAC saved the money and drafted Nabers.