Accies v In Form Alloa

Started the thread as there are a couple of posts on the game on our club thread. Have copied what I said there:

We are doing well and Accies have struggled at times recently, but they are still favourites on Saturday.

Winning is a habit, however, and if Steven and Wales can maintain their overall form, and strike rate in particular, then anything could happen.

Hopefully Cammy is fit as his absence would leave us looking more fragile on the left. I'm assuming Robbo comes in if McKay is out - that doesn't weaken the side IMO.

Edited by printer

We've struggled in both games against Alloa this season and those were while we were still playing well, so this is set to be another frustrating afternoon that has the potential to turn toxic pretty quickly. 

Was going to say I dont think Accies were at their best in the two games against us this season. As a result, Alloa supporters will no doubt be confident heading into Saturday. Printer is right though, Accies still the favourites, league table doesnt lie. Bit of pressure on them maybe with the league pretty much over now- they wont want to sleep walk into the play-offs.

Team is on form and we will no doubt have a proper go at Hamilton, see what happens. Hopefully leads to a decent game.

1 hour ago, printer said:

I'm assuming Robbo comes in if McKay is out - that doesn't weaken the side IMO.

Dave McKay been very good the last few weeks. Obviously Taggart coming into centre half is no downgrade but then you lose him on the right. Definitely weakened without McKay, at the moment. He was very unfortunate on Saturday too I felt. Different challenge for Robbo than his game against Stirling against an ineffective Hilson and Carrick. 

Would be good to name the same XI as Saturday but assuming McKays red card will stand and Cammy might not be fit to play. Guessing, as suggested above, Robbo would come in and move Taggs in to CB. Not sure how close to fitness Devine is but guessing he won't be available Saturday again. Probably Sutherland at LB if Cammy is out. Thought Coulson was underpar on Saturday but to be fair most of the team were poor first half and he was up against Doyle who was up and down the wing all half, unlike others he never got the chance to redeem himself second half getting subbed off early.

We go into the game with a lot of confidence in the team, hopefully come away with a win but I'd be happy with a draw to keep our unbeaten run going.

16 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Dave McKay been very good the last few weeks. Obviously Taggart coming into centre half is no downgrade but then you lose him on the right. Definitely weakened without McKay, at the moment. He was very unfortunate on Saturday too I felt. Different challenge for Robbo than his game against Stirling against an ineffective Hilson and Carrick. 

On the bright side not got ex-Alloa superstar Dario Zanatta to contain this time around. Only some unknown called Jake Hastie up against famed sprinter Jon Robertson. 😬

1 hour ago, KierenAAFC said:

That's a good point and I nearly mentioned it. Not sure who is playing wide left for Accies just now but they have a number of quick/tricky options and defending against pace certainly isn't one of Robbo's strengths. 

On the other hand, well though Dave McKay has been doing, I always feel more confident about our central defence when Taggs is in there, especially against a quick attack.

So I'm not sure I agree with your "definitely". 🙂

ETA I haven't listened to this week's podcast, so certainly wasn't picking up on any views therein. Will have a listen now. 

Edited by printer

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

We've struggled in both games against Alloa this season and those were while we were still playing well, so this is set to be another frustrating afternoon that has the potential to turn toxic pretty quickly. 

Hopefully, I could do with letting go some seethe.

44 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

The last time it got toxic at Hamilton against Alloa Accies scored four goals in the blink of an eye 😔

Well barring any sending off's and Paddy connolly being on the team sheet , i dont think we will collapse as per ..

4 hours ago, SouthStander1876 said:

The continuation of the Alloa 2nd place push

That's not so wild a statement.

IF Alloa win this game they'll have closed the points gap on Hamilton in the last 5 games by 11 points. That's some stat.

They'd be 7 points behind Hamilton with 11 games still to play.

Even if Hamilton win, Alloa will have closed the gap by 5 points in the past 5 games.

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

7 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

IF Alloa win this game they'll have closed the points gap on Hamilton in the last 5 games by 11 points. That's some stat.

Even if Hamilton win, Alloa will have closed the gap by 5 points in the past 5 games.

If we win and Alloa win, the gap between Hamilton and us will be double the gap between Alloa and Hamilton. That's a worrying stat for the Accies

1 hour ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Well done subtracting six from eleven. 😉

2 hours ago, Vegetableman said:

Well barring any sending off's and Paddy connolly being on the team sheet , i dont think we will collapse as per ..

If Paddy Connolly fancied it I still think he could do a job for us. Every testimonial or supporters game hes absolute dynamite.

40 minutes ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

If Paddy Connolly fancied it I still think he could do a job for us. Every testimonial or supporters game hes absolute dynamite.

Don't know how he does it  must have been a good baller in his day . 😉

Edited by Vegetableman

3 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

The last time it got toxic at Hamilton against Alloa Accies scored four goals in the blink of an eye 😔

Won’t be enough folk in attendance to make it go toxic.

That will come when you or Montrose beat us in The Play Offs when folk return for those games.