Spiders vs Smokies 27/02

We have only had 1 game so far this season where we have started a game with 4 fit (I use that term very loosely) defenders.

The rest of the time its been a bodged together mess that lacks any sort of cohesion and lacks the ability to defend due to players being unfit, out of position or not good enough.

Tonight is another one of those games.

54 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

We have only had 1 game so far this season where we have started a game with 4 fit (I use that term very loosely) defenders.

The rest of the time its been a bodged together mess that lacks any sort of cohesion and lacks the ability to defend due to players being unfit, out of position or not good enough.

Tonight is another one of those games.

Total madness from Campbell. He started the season with 3 fit defenders Steele O'brien and Little also no holding midfielder. The rest is history.

I had a slight reservation before the game that this could have been a potential banana skin, like it was for us almost exactly a year ago, but those fears only lasted four minutes.

Rarely do I recall watching Queen's Park be so dominant in a game of football, albeit against an opponent who is so utterly tragic in every department. Sheridan was fantastic upfront, a genuine breath of fresh air to have an actual strike partner for Paton, especially one whose strengths bring out the best in Paton as well as others around him. Wilson was also brilliant in defence and won every single header. A brief concern when Charlie Reilly, the only Arbroath player who showed up to play tonight, ran around him at the end of the first half, and I hope his half time substitution was nothing more than resting him in a game that was already over.

Some of our goals were comical from an Arbroath point of view, but that was a joy to watch QP finally put a team to the sword this season. 

Arbroath look doomed.

Thought we were magnificent from start to finish. Application first class and some really good stuff. Everyone contributed and delighted for McKinstry and McLeish getting their goals. Paton and Sheridan absolutely outstanding, particularly early on. Cal Ferrie with two assists. Wonderful evening of association football.

Fear for Arbroath on that showing. It’s a daft league and mad things can happen, but that looked like a team waiting for the inevitable. You wonder how much of a body blow losing that late goal on Saturday was. 

Great team performance by Queens. Sheridan looks a good signing.  

That's a poor Arbroath side though.  Poor lad in goal had a bit of a mare in the second half.

Fairplay to the Arbroath fans for travelling down midweek and staying to the end. Respect.

I do have empathy for Arbroath. A horrendous record across the season which would impact any team in this league. However, that was honestly one of, If not the worst performance I’ve seen from an opposition team since we beat Falkirk 6-0 a few years back in league 1. Some genuinely comical goals especially in the 2nd half. Boruc in goals was an absolute shambles. What in the world was he doing running back to his goal for Mckinstry’s goal 🤣

For as bad as Arbroath were, I thought we were tremendous in every aspect. Cillian Sheridan was totally unplayable on occasions and he linked the play so well. The guy could run about also, getting in behind countless times which was a pleasant surprise. If he does nothing for the rest of the season, he’ll be remembered fondly for tonight’s performance 

Delighted for McLeish to get his first senior goal, he looks a player who’s capable of stepping up from youth team. Pleasing to see Mckinstry score and look confident afterwards on the ball. Maybe this is the type of game he needed to get some confidence. Hope he kicks on 

Really tough game on Saturday but I’ll worry about that later. Tonight was outstanding 

Very pleasing night all round was fully expecting a tense and nervous 90 mins. Full credit to Davidson, I wasn't convinced by the team selection but what do I know the Paton and Sheridan combo worked perfectly 👏 Only surprise for me was McKinstry not getting MoM for his delicious cameo? Decent crowd and fair play to the Arbroath support for sticking it out to the end 👍

What a difference in Paton having an experienced striker to feed off. Sheridan looks to have been an inspired signing. It was joyful to watch Wilson direct and control the game while he was on. This was a perfect example of how a good back three performs. McLeish has a presence which suggests he will be one to watch and I hope McKinstry gained a bucketful of confidence for his cameo. I could mention everyone but they all fired on full throttle together. I would start this lineup in every game if possible.

I feel sorry for Arbroath who have suffered Campbell and then experienced a horrific injury crisis. Whilst those on the park last night were lacking in confidence and skill I thought the shape that McIntyre is developing was far superior to the kick and rush that I saw at the beginning of the season. They may benefit from regrouping in the league below and come back a skilful modern looking outfit. They tried to play as well as they could to the end and played the game very fairly. I wish them well.

Edited by williebraveheart

Those goals are horrendous to watch from a defensive point of view. My word.

The positioning, the not following runs, the lack of communication. Feel for Lichties fans, that's atrocious stuff. The defence was the main strength of Arbroath teams for a long while.

Edited by AUcal