Livingston vs Motherwell Wed 28th Feb

1 hour ago, ropy said:

What is the speciality pie situation?

48 minutes ago, LogieLivi said:

This is the only question that needs answered today.

I'm hoping for South Indian garlic curry Donner - or just the Donner pie.

Chicken and haggis with a peppercorn sauce

49 minutes ago, LogieLivi said:

This is the only question that needs answered today.

I'm hoping for South Indian garlic curry Donner - or just the Donner pie.

Gillespies butchers supply both Motherwell and Livingston. Tonight's speciality pie is Chicken Balmoral. Chicken and haggis with a peppercorn sauce 

1 hour ago, Handsome_Devil said:

As depressing as that is, there is logic to it. Most goals in our league, outwith the OF at least, have a fair whack of incompetence about them. Last night's game would get football stopped yet both managers could say 'if we hadn't made a stupid mistake we'd have won'. Especially when the margins between making Europe through fifth and fighting off the play-off spot are bawhair thin, eliminating your own mistakes and waiting for the opposition to hand you the points is both the quickest and safest route to success.

I think theres a balance to it, where most goals come from mistakes but most mistakes come from applying pressure on the defenders.

35 minutes ago, redstarcvedza said:

Gillespies butchers supply both Motherwell and Livingston. Tonight's speciality pie is Chicken Balmoral. Chicken and haggis with a peppercorn sauce 

That sounds amazing! 

Do they do home delivery for those of us watching on tv? 

😆

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Managers, particularly at this level, seem to have decided "controlling" a match is all that matters, so you get them being overly defensive (cautious? safe?) in every situation they feel like they have some "control" over. Goals are just luck you see, based on defensive mistakes, so reducing the impact of defensive mistakes (losing a man etc.) is good.

Martindale from April to December 2023. I'm attempting to mind-read here from what I saw on the pitch but my guess is he became preoccupied with the idea of losing goals "in transition". He'd seen his Livi side regularly struggle against sides who had rock solid defences, who then won the ball off you in midfield and immediately went for the jugular. Stephen Robinson's St Mirren last season were the archetype.

So Martindale went about trying to turn Livi into this. The 3-4-2-1 gave a "box" of centre mids, the two defensive with the two attacking ahead. That made the centre of the pitch impenetrable for opponents. The thinking was it'd allow Livi to suffocate the game by clogging up centre mid like that, to get the control you're mentioning.

That's not what happened, though. Teams just used longer passing in build up, bypassing our midfield, then our three centre backs were shite so we kept conceding. Having the midfield set up with their defensive utility as the first concern completely stifled our best creative players like Nouble so no goals were scored either.

6 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

Martindale from April to December 2023. I'm attempting to mind-read here from what I saw on the pitch but my guess is he became preoccupied with the idea of losing goals "in transition". He'd seen his Livi side regularly struggle against sides who had rock solid defences, who then won the ball off you in midfield and immediately went for the jugular. Stephen Robinson's St Mirren last season were the archetype.

So Martindale went about trying to turn Livi into this. The 3-4-2-1 gave a "box" of centre mids, the two defensive with the two attacking ahead. That made the centre of the pitch impenetrable for opponents. The thinking was it'd allow Livi to suffocate the game by clogging up centre mid like that, to get the control you're mentioning.

That's not what happened, though. Teams just used longer passing in build up, bypassing our midfield, then our three centre backs were shite so we kept conceding. Having the midfield set up with their defensive utility as the first concern completely stifled our best creative players like Nouble so no goals were scored either.

Aye.

Its exactly what we're doing with Levein just now too, except we've defensively sound CMs so we're wide open in there too.

18 minutes ago, witchfindergeneral said:

Reading Livi fans comments about defending corners and you'd swear it was about us. We can't defend corners with everyone in the box anyway, so may as well have a couple of forward options instead.

When did we last score from a corner? I mean proper cross, header, goal or a scramble straight in type, not second phase nonsense.

42 minutes ago, Handsome_Devil said:

When did we last score from a corner? I mean proper cross, header, goal or a scramble straight in type, not second phase nonsense.

Obika at Celtic when it bounced off him? Scoring corners isn't really our issue, it's defending them lol. Maybe if we had options to pass to on the rare occasion Kelly makes a save from a corner then he wouldn't take 20 mins humming and hawing about what he's gonnae do next haha

1 hour ago, redstarcvedza said:

Have started supplying Keystore in Wishaw (the one next to the nursing home in Dimsdale). Range of pies should be available there !

What a fucking turn of events this is btw.

22 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

What a fucking turn of events this is btw.

Utter game changer.

Onto the game tonight. Livi have a big strong physical team who put balls in the box, at least we have a commanding defence who don’t concede from headers…. Oh wait.

Need to stick with the same starting 11 as the weekend and hope Bevis has one of his magnet head games and we get down and at them with the pace of Gent, Spittal,. Devine and Vale. Here’s hoping. 

8 minutes ago, wellboy1991 said:

Livi have a big strong physical team

This has been said about Livi for a long time and I don't really agree with it. Not sure about this season but last season the average height of our team surely must have been one of the lowest in the league. 

Over the years I think our tenacity and pressing/in your face style has been deemed as "big physical hammer throwers". 

This season we really haven't epitomised "a big strong physical team" at all. 

12 hours ago, crispy said:

I’m coming round to this aswell: we can’t defend for shit so just pile on all the attackers and let’s go out all guns blazing. We couldn’t keep clean sheets when we played defensively so might aswell give ourselves a chance of going ahead by out scoring the opposition. Hitting the back of the net fairly regualrly from open play now.

Anderson, Yengi, Nouble, Mackay, Bradley, Guthrie + 5 (including a goalkeeper if needs be) in a 2-2-6 formation. 

That formation on Saturday against St Johnstone would blow Levein's mind.😂

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Think the theory is that the best approach for counter attacking is everyone in the box and zonal marking, as daft as it sounds.

That should lead to you have spare men, but also means your players will always start from the same spot. Means that the training you do about how they exit the box and get up the park after is drilled into them, rather than just winging it in a different way every time. Youll probably see certain players leave the box first and enter a new "zone" at certain situations.

Teams defending corners are pretty much just reacting to what the attacking team do aswell, so everyone back gives more options to react too.

Thing that annoys me the most about it is when you initially clear the ball, it's going to an opposition player hanging around just outside the D, and under no pressure, will be played back in, or they'll have a shot at goal. It's usually the 2nd or 3rd time you clear your box you get a counter attack going, as you're more likely to be able to move the ball out this time and not just clear it away. Problem with that is we don't really have players quick enough to counter teams, MacKay is fast, but doesn't always start, and even then he'd need support when breaking, and we just haven't got it. Bobby Barr and Keaghan Jacobs were excellent at breaking from our half and getting up into the opposition's final third getting a shot off, but that was a long time ago.

Dykes was prob the last time we just lumped it long from deep for a quick counter attack, as that was his forte, being able to bully defenders in one on one situations and score goals.

But MacKay or Anderson on the halfway line would give us our best chance to hit on the counter, hitting the ball into space for them to chase after, they've got the skill to get in behind defenders, or press them into mistakes, and get a shot at goal. But even on the rare occasion we leave a man up, and our keeper collects the ball, he doesn't kick it up to Anderson to hit them on the counter, he holds onto the ball waiting on everyone getting up the pitch, including the opposition players, getting back into defensive shape.

Apologies for the long post, just does my tits in. 

3 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Chicken and haggis with a peppercorn sauce

Delicious. The haggis pies at Dingwall with potato on top were dry as f**k, def needs sauce.

7 minutes ago, Livi La Vida Loca said:

This has been said about Livi for a long time and I don't really agree with it. Not sure about this season but last season the average height of our team surely must have been one of the lowest in the league. 

Over the years I think our tenacity and pressing/in your face style has been deemed as "big physical hammer throwers". 

This season we really haven't epitomised "a big strong physical team" at all. 

I’m think Yengi, Obileye, Nouble, Kelly. All big lads. We only have Mugabi & Bair in the starting 11 over 6ft I think. That includes our midget goalie. You are bigger than us….