Livingston vs Motherwell Wed 28th Feb

Another massive game for us. Can we turn up for a full 90 minutes? How big a head start will we give Motherwell? 

A reminder that this kicks off at 8pm due to it being on TV. An Edinburgh derby or Rangers away to Kilmarnock? Nah let's put Livi vs Motherwell live on Sky. Won't complain about picking some different games for TV but seems an interesting choice. 

Massive game for us if not quite on the do-or-die scale as Livingston. Most would have said one point out the last three with some encouraging performances was fine but, given we'll lose at Ibrox, that was conditional on winning this. Do so and we're edging towards safety, don't and there will be moaning to mid-March at best - especially if County beat St Mirren.

It's hard to predict the line up when you don't know our injury situation and you wonder if, after making so few changes for the Morton debacle, we want to freshen it up a bit more.

4 hours ago, Livi La Vida Loca said:

Another massive game for us. Can we turn up for a full 90 minutes? How big a head start will we give Motherwell? 

A reminder that this kicks off at 8pm due to it being on TV. An Edinburgh derby or Rangers away to Kilmarnock? Nah let's put Livi vs Motherwell live on Sky. Won't complain about picking some different games for TV but seems an interesting choice. 

Oh joy, VAR checks all over the shop, maybe get home for  half 10.

Aye Killie v Sevco seems the big game there, with Killie having a really good bit of form against the erse cheeks this season.

7 minutes ago, Durnford said:

FTFY

Even that's being optimistic, there's be 4 or 5 mins added VAR time in the first half and about 9 mins onto the 2nd. That 2nd goal against County was pretty straight forward with Yengi a yard onside, and even Anderson who wasn't involved till the 2nd phase visibly onside in the 1st phase, yet they took ages before confirming it as a goal. 

10 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Back to back wins against Motherwell and St Johnstone would light up our season and make things interesting in a 3 way fight to avoid the drop. f**k i'm typing this and not even had a drink as an excuse.

I've had this feeling about 2 or 3 times recently when the fixture list has been kinder to us. Needless to say it's never happened. 

Last time we had back to back league wins was January 23....

I had a quick look at our record at Livi earlier in answer to a point @Archie McSquackle made in the "Stadiums You've Never Seen Your Team Win" thread and over the last 10 games we've won 3 drawn 4 and Livi have won 3.

Our last win there was 2021 when we came back from 1-0 down with Tony Watt and Grimmy scoring.

It kind of feels like Almondvale is one of those grounds (like McDiarmid) where the fact that we never seem to actually play well there kind of colours people's opinion of things regardless of what the result actually is. Although, there's no doubt that 1-0 loss under Robinson with Bevis playing centre forward was enough to legitimately traumatise anyone.

That said, I have the absolute fear here as out collection of shitebags couldn't keep weans out a close and seem to go to absolute bits when there are any sort of stakes involved.

Edited by capt_oats

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I had a quick look at our record at Livi earlier in answer to a point @Archie McSquackle made in the "Stadiums You've Never Seen Your Team Win" thread and over the last 10 games we've won 3 drawn 4 and Livi have won 3.

Our last win there was 2021 when we came back from 1-0 down with Tony Watt and Grimmy scoring.

It kind of feels like Almondvale is one of those grounds (like McDiarmid) where the fact that we never seem to actually play well there kind of colours people's opinion of things regardless of what the result actually is. Although, there's no doubt that 1-0 loss under Robinson with Bevis playing centre forward was enough to legitimately traumatise anyone.

That said, I have the absolute fear here as out collection of shitebags couldn't keep weans out a close and seem to go to absolute bits when there are any sort of stakes involved.

That 2-2 draw to throw away a top 6 spot in injury time traumatized me for a season or two with PTSD flashbacks.

This is another massive game for both teams (slightly more massive for us right enough), and our home form is a bit better than our away one, we even managed to beat St Mirren in our last game at the TMA, so i'm foolishly going to be optimistic here.

Both teams shat the bed late on at the weekend and I can see us doing the same again. 

We play some decent stuff at times but are shitebags to a man and Kettlewell has zero tactical nous.

I expect we'll put in a similar performance to Morton the other week in that this is one of the few games where we'll be seen as favourites but this will only serve to put the pressure on and, as has happened all season when that's the case, we'll conspire to make a c**t of it somehow. 

Motherwell have always given me the fear ever since they signed Kelly in goal. No matter if we play really really well he often seems able to make sure we have a disappointing day.

That being said it seems his performance this season hasn't been up to his usual form; this combined with Mugabi in central defense I might even suggest that out defenses were fairly closely matched.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

I have seen us win at Livi before but the last 3 or 4 I've been at I am sure have all been draws.

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Motherwell have always given me the fear ever since they signed Kelly in goal. No matter if we play really really well he often seems able to make sure we have a disappointing day.

That being said it seems his performance this season hasn't been up to his usual form; this combined with Mugabi in central defense I might even suggest that out defenses were fairly closely matched.

His brother got the better of him scoring a pen in our earlier 2-0 win over them, MacKay was also pivotal in us reducing them to 10 men. Hopefully we start with MacKay and Anderson, so we've pace to get at their defenders.

A draw suits us more than it suits Livvy so I wouldnt be devestated if that was the result again.

A win, however, would go a long way to getting us clear of the dogfight at the bottom.

As others have said, much will depend on who we have available after yesterday.

The team put in a shift and would imagine there will be a fair few carrying knocks.

If we have Bair, Vale and Spittal all fit I think we should be able to cobble sufficient behind them to win the game, but we have no suitable replacements for those 3.

Best wishes to our physio!

Martindale might pick Sean Kelly instead of Sangare for this. Otherwise, the rest of the defence will probably stay the same. Holt and Carson will be centre mid and Nouble will continue on the left. Anderson and Yengi you'd think both "need" to start after recent performances. Maybe he'll play them both up front in a 4-4-2 or with Yengi playing off Anderson so its closer to the usual 4-2-3-1 shape. For balance that'd likely see a more stable option at right mid, probably Shinnie, rather than MacKay as a winger. Stephen Kelly will probably be squeezed out the starting team and Guthrie will likely be an impact sub.

2 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

Martindale might pick Sean Kelly instead of Sangare for this. Otherwise, the rest of the defence will probably stay the same. Holt and Carson will be centre mid and Nouble will continue on the left. Anderson and Yengi you'd think both "need" to start after recent performances. Maybe he'll play them both up front in a 4-4-2 or with Yengi playing off Anderson so its closer to the usual 4-2-3-1 shape. For balance that'd likely see a more stable option at right mid, probably Shinnie, rather than MacKay as a winger. Stephen Kelly will probably be squeezed out the starting team and Guthrie will likely be an impact sub.

I'd quite like to see a 4-4-2 with Yengi and Anderson up top but with neither dropping deeper. 

Nouble Left mid

With one of Sangare, MacKay or Kelly at LB. That is if Penrice and Montano are still not fit. 

If not at LB I'd like to see Mackay at RIght mid. 

Obviously this is quite attacking but both Nouble and MacKay are more than capable of tracking back so with games running out might as well go for it. We're bound to concede so might as well have a proper go at outscoring our opposition. 

I doubt we'll see the above so I'll settle for us leaving someone up top whilst defending corners as it's madness that we bring everyone back get it clear and then the opposition can start again under absolutely no pressure. 

1 hour ago, Livi La Vida Loca said:

I'd quite like to see a 4-4-2 with Yengi and Anderson up top but with neither dropping deeper. 

Nouble Left mid

With one of Sangare, MacKay or Kelly at LB. That is if Penrice and Montano are still not fit. 

If not at LB I'd like to see Mackay at RIght mid. 

Obviously this is quite attacking but both Nouble and MacKay are more than capable of tracking back so with games running out might as well go for it. We're bound to concede so might as well have a proper go at outscoring our opposition. 

I doubt we'll see the above so I'll settle for us leaving someone up top whilst defending corners as it's madness that we bring everyone back get it clear and then the opposition can start again under absolutely no pressure. 

I'm with you other than MacKay at left back. He's a great player but I think he's a "wide forward" or a winger. So that's either making runs into the box from a wide starting position to finish crosses or its dribbling in wide areas and providing the crosses himself. I don't think he has the defensive instincts for full back.

Seems Montano is back in training but I very much doubt he's up to 90 minutes.

Sangare or Kelly are possibilities. Likewise Ledingham or Carson are outsiders perhaps.

EDIT - who have Motherwell got on the right wing?

Edited by Durnford