Livingston vs Motherwell Wed 28th Feb

The BBC sports page has Livi  playing  a 4-4-2  never,never,never, this was a 7-1-2... 

The back 4  and Kelly,Holt, Carson  supposedly  the midfield ,they never came out their own half,and you wonder why they you don't create.

Then you have Nouble who dithers about playing  wide left on the half way line,with no energy or interest in getting up the park, 

Mackay disappearing for most of the game,

Yengi OK 11st half,Second half his first touch was rubbish

The back 4 were pish,and when you add Kelly,Holt,Carson 7 defenders they still couldn't  keep the ball out of the box

The sub's  you having a laugh ,Shinnie comes on and  starts  playing deep ,Devlin comes on as bad as Kelly.

Anderson is a decent player,runs ,gives his all ,He's wasted playing in this team.

There's too many in this team that can't play 90 minutes, just don't have good enough engine's, belief or desire

I wouldn't give  Martindale any more time needs  fired, don't like managers that set up with 7 or 8 defensive type players ,especially 

When  you need points to survive

12 minutes ago, Scrutinizer said:

I wouldn't give  Martindale any more time needs  fired, don't like managers that set up with 7 or 8 defensive type players ,especially 

When  you need points to survive

He is a member of the board, and the chair of that board said they’re only going to leave together. Can’t see him getting sacked, personally.

Despite winning a "must win" six pointer quite comfortably, is it acceptable to still be raging about losing another goal with the opponents first attack? Our defence is seriously bad for my mental wellbeing and I'd happily see a wee minibus take each and every one of them to f**k in the summer.

On the other hand - when Kettlewell made the right change at half time, we played some lovely stuff and to be fair, we can be a really good team to watch when we're going forward. I'm honestly trying to remember a season where there is such a disparity between our attack and our defence - McCall's good team could be a bit like that but nowhere near what we're watching this year.

Can we just play with a front two of Vale and Bair for the rest of the season? 

It was good of us to turn up for the first 20 minutes last night. After that we treated Motherwell like one of the old firm and gave them far too much time and space. 

Just about everyone except our coaching staff could see a Motherwell goal coming but at no point did they do anything to try and change the game. 

I want to rip that monitor on our bench out and launch it straight at Martindale. All he uses it for is to see how shite we are then identify a target for his screaming when it's already too late. In years gone by at times I've found him to be unable to offer up anything from the bench after plan A goes out the window and it's been seriously evident this season that he's run out of ideas or just has terrible ideas.

Nouble has been good of late but last night looked way off it to everyone but Martindale. Yengi and Anderson were doing great the first 20 minutes as a partnership and Martindale's response to that was to drop Yengi basically into centre midfield. Baffling to the say the least. 

I'd accepted we'd be down a little while ago but there have been glimmers of hope but now we truly are dead and buried. 

One of the most dis-heartening things about last night was seeing Anderson become increasingly frustrated with poor quality of service.  As the midfield just disappeared into defence the gap between them and Anderson became too great for any coherent build up play involving him.

Why was Sean Kelly taking free kicks into the box instead of being in the box himself?  Bizarre.

Did I imagine it because I'm happy we won or does the pitch play better with a 3 hour deluge of rain on it? I thought both teams were pinging it about without too much high bounce that you normally get and it felt more like a "normal" pitch to me.

9 hours ago, Swello said:

Despite winning a "must win" six pointer quite comfortably, is it acceptable to still be raging about losing another goal with the opponents first attack? Our defence is seriously bad for my mental wellbeing and I'd happily see a wee minibus take each and every one of them to f**k in the summer.

On the other hand - when Kettlewell made the right change at half time, we played some lovely stuff and to be fair, we can be a really good team to watch when we're going forward. I'm honestly trying to remember a season where there is such a disparity between our attack and our defence - McCall's good team could be a bit like that but nowhere near what we're watching this year.

Can we just play with a front two of Vale and Bair for the rest of the season? 

100% this. Our goals for and against column only go to confirm your and most of our thoughts.

Hindsight is a wonderful things but I have been banging on about the GK and CB position for a couple of seasons now. Probably lessened in the summer due to the impact Butcher and Casey had at the end of last season. 

But we need a total refresh in that area next season to address this. You could argue that your league position is more determined by how many you concede rather than how many you score. We have scored 7 more goals than both Killie and St Mirren but conceded circa double that amount than both of those teams who sit comfortably in the top 4/5. 

1 hour ago, Livi La Vida Loca said:

It was good of us to turn up for the first 20 minutes last night. After that we treated Motherwell like one of the old firm and gave them far too much time and space. 

Just about everyone except our coaching staff could see a Motherwell goal coming but at no point did they do anything to try and change the game. 

I want to rip that monitor on our bench out and launch it straight at Martindale. All he uses it for is to see how shite we are then identify a target for his screaming when it's already too late. In years gone by at times I've found him to be unable to offer up anything from the bench after plan A goes out the window and it's been seriously evident this season that he's run out of ideas or just has terrible ideas.

Nouble has been good of late but last night looked way off it to everyone but Martindale. Yengi and Anderson were doing great the first 20 minutes as a partnership and Martindale's response to that was to drop Yengi basically into centre midfield. Baffling to the say the least. 

I'd accepted we'd be down a little while ago but there have been glimmers of hope but now we truly are dead and buried. 

Yes; The Yengi situation defied belief; he seemed to be causing the Motherwell defence real problems in the first half; all of that was lost when he moved into midfield.

I was totally confused about Nouble as well; for much of the time it seemed he was trying to play the role of left wing back; a role he's patently not suited to.

As for George going off; do we really have to use McGovern? Couldn't Gary Maley come out of retirement? I know he wouldn't be great but is sheer bulk is a bot of a deterrent. Joking aside it seems that none of the defence have any confidence in McGovern; he seems to command diddly squat.

Still 30 points to play for but really not looking great. Whatever happens there definitely needs to be a major rebuilding exercise come the summer (from the top down).

Finally congratulation to our steelmen friend; you may not be mathematically safe yet but sure you're safe from the automatic demotion space.

Start the game with a very attacking set up, get a goal after 3 minutes. Even had a couple moves after that goal as well. Shocked and appalled at how well things were going Martindale then shites himself and changes it to a back 3 and just tries to soak up pressure with Nouble at wing back and aimless long balls up to Anderson - because it worked so well for us for the first 6 months of the season. Our defence isn't anywhere near good enough to try and be hard to beat, we should have stuck with the back 4 and tried for another goal, would much rather get pumped when we're actually trying to be positive than being as negative as that and, erm, still getting pumped.

Most grating thing was being 3-1 down, heading into stoppage time, and just making wee cute short passes across the defence, what fucking chance have you got.

Kettlewell must have seen the blindingly obvious that we were wide open on our left hand side. 1st half Motherwell could not capitalise on this . Sean Kelly is not  a full back, Nouble  offered no defensive  ( or attacking) help whatever. All 3 goals came from crosses from that area. The masterstroke of taking Kelly off ( injured?) and putting Devlin on in his place, who is worse, showed the standard of player recruitment this season.  Motherwell  undoubtedly deserved the win but ŵhen two quick energetic players in Holt and McKay were taken off  to allow  the likes of Mr Pointy ( Shinnie) to come on, the writing was on the wall. Getting to away games will be a skoosh next season.

Just now, Durnford said:

As for George going off; do we really have to use McGovern? Couldn't Gary Maley come out of retirement? I know he wouldn't be great but is sheer bulk is a bot of a deterrent. Joking aside it seems that none of the defence have any confidence in McGovern; he seems to command diddly squat.

Who plays for our U18s? There's no chance they could be any worse than McGovern, who's first action last night was to pass it to a Motherwell player. They might not actually be good but I really don't see how they could do worse than McGovern.

1 minute ago, LiviLion said:

Who plays for our U18s? There's no chance they could be any worse than McGovern, who's first action last night was to pass it to a Motherwell player. They might not actually be good but I really don't see how they could do worse than McGovern.

Is there any rule that would stop us using Molly Reeve? She does okay for the ladies team.

1 hour ago, Swello said:

Did I imagine it because I'm happy we won or does the pitch play better with a 3 hour deluge of rain on it? I thought both teams were pinging it about without too much high bounce that you normally get and it felt more like a "normal" pitch to me.

Astro always plays better when its soaking wet.

Much less sticky and dampens the bounce.

Also leads to far fewer injuries, because its far less sticky!