Young people “unable to work” at higher rates than older people

41 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Putting into place a different system, of multiple assessments, while making sure it's fair for kids across the board, keeping the marking standards high and consistent, and not adding to teachers' workload won't be an easy thing to get right. And I don't trust the government to not make things worse.

Bingo. Assessment, and the marking thereof, must be consistent. No chance this’ll happen with continuous assessment done on a local basis. 

43 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

For the past 10 years, there have been changes almost year on year. The teachers and the students don't know if they're coming or going.

Bingo #2. Give the teachers some time to take stock of things and sort out the mess created by online “learning”.

20 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Certainly the way the wind's blowing. Being reported today that Jenny Gilruth the Scottish education minister is about to scrap to all school exams before Highers, plus end them completely in some subjects.

Roll up, roll up, get your social sciences degree here! No need for study, intellect, or effort! Just bring evidence of a pulse and being able to pass the mirror test.

It's probably the fact that it's a race to the bottom is so many industries, especially in any sort of customer facing job. 

My old boy was a branch manager for Clydesdale, took early retirement from it at 50. When he first moved into Aberdeen in the late 70's, there were something like 20 branches in the city, there's now 2, probably with half the staff there used to be in each. 

I worked in betting shops for just over 10 years. When I first started in Ladbrokes under the Heilanmans umbrella in Glasgow in 2003, we had 4 staff on a Saturday afternoon. 3 tills running and the boss emptying/filling tills as required and covering breaks. Last time I was in that shop it was single manned. 

Now I appreciate that the two industries I've alluded to here have been massively influenced by a shift to online platforms but I can certainly vouch that the wages in a betting shop have reduced massively in real terms. I'd suggest that a deputy manager in a betting shop now would earn less than I did 15 years ago due to the fact we got time and a half for anything over 36hrs between Monday and Saturday and double time for a Sunday. If you worked 42 hrs during the week then 8 on a Sunday, yeah you had worked a 50hr week but you were getting paid 61hrs for doing it. Due to the opening hours, you could do 42hrs in 3 and a bit days. Now, you could argue that the current model of 5 from 7 and shorter shifts is better than knocking your pan in and doing 50hr weeks but if you were financially rewarded for it then it was all good. 

A ramble, I know.