Young people “unable to work” at higher rates than older people

11 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Wisnae me, a big boy did it and ran away. Always someone else's fault. 

And in the boomer mindset, it's almost always a dusky foreign immigrant. 

11 hours ago, Empty It said:

I don't think the "my wean is angel" shite that seems to have overcome parents helps, they think their little shit can do no wrong therfore the child doesn't learn that actions have repercussions. They can act the c**t, get away with it and they know it in school so when it comes to real life and they find out the hard way that repercussions do exist it's difficult.

I think that’s always been the case though, when I started working, some of the behaviours of the older staff would get a jail sentence now. Some of the things that were said and done in front of me as a sheltered 19 year old were a real eye opener. 
Working with people that were clearly drunk, sexual harassment was just banter and anyone reporting it was a miserable b*****d. Threats and actual violence. 
Now people are well aware of their rights. 
People’s upbringings are different now and the workplace is different but it is still a big leap when you go from education, hanging about with folk your own age, to working with people in their 40s and 50s. 

In my first week of work as a 19 year old, I was described as being a big shy boy. A chain smoking alcoholic cleaner in her 60s told she would meet me in the car park and ride the shyness out me. Nothing in my upbringing prepared me for that moment. (Her telling me that)

57 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I think that’s always been the case though, when I started working, some of the behaviours of the older staff would get a jail sentence now. Some of the things that were said and done in front of me as a sheltered 19 year old were a real eye opener. 
Working with people that were clearly drunk, sexual harassment was just banter and anyone reporting it was a miserable b*****d. Threats and actual violence. 
Now people are well aware of their rights. 
People’s upbringings are different now and the workplace is different but it is still a big leap when you go from education, hanging about with folk your own age, to working with people in their 40s and 50s. 

In my first week of work as a 19 year old, I was described as being a big shy boy. A chain smoking alcoholic cleaner in her 60s told she would meet me in the car park and ride the shyness out me. Nothing in my upbringing prepared me for that moment. (Her telling me that)

Reason for extroversion found 😉.

It's a good thread and it's good to be reminded of the way in which modern workplaces are now better, especially as one who loves complaining about the youngsters.  

@DiegoDiego's example does speak to a lack of emotional resilience in that cohort and reflects my own experiences working with some of the younger ones.

The awareness of existential and mental health conditions is fantastic and a net positive. There is a tendency, however, fuelled by algorithmic social media, to identify fully with these conditions and regard them as calcified social identities rather than things to be overcome. What I see coming from this is an overattachment to limbic reactions and an expectation that the world must adapt to accommodate these. 

On the positive side were seeing a rise in union movements, social and protest movements from this generation. So aye, the kids are generally alright 😂

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

In her defence, it seems to have worked.

One of the things that annoys me is the people that often put themselves forward for the position of "Mental Health First Aider". My last company did this and they had 3 of them. One guy did it for genuine, altruistic reasons. The other two were the office gossip and the corporate arse-kisser who was the biggest bully in the company - the last two people you'd ever open up to about a personal problem. 

If the company aren't serious about the issue, if they just treat it as a tick box exercise, they can make things worse for people. 

3 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

If the company aren't serious about the issue, if they just treat it as a tick box exercise, they can make things worse for people. 

My work do "wellbeing checks" every few months. I'm reasonably sure they're just cover for harvesting the rank and file's feedback about mid-management. My paranoia isn't helped by the fact that they've never given me a wellness check.

22 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

One of the things that annoys me is the people that often put themselves forward for the position of "Mental Health First Aider". My last company did this and they had 3 of them. One guy did it for genuine, altruistic reasons. The other two were the office gossip and the corporate arse-kisser who was the biggest bully in the company - the last two people you'd ever open up to about a personal problem. 

Think you are bang on the money there. In my previous job, the HR manager and "Mental Health First Aider" was the CEO's wife. There wasn't a hope in hell anybody was going to go to her with issues. 

Coincidentally, my new company rolled out training for the position a couple of weeks back. I am currently studying a counselling degree so put myself forward, and on the course I was joined by another two guys, no women at all which I thought was quite refreshing in a way, however I am under no illusion that many women would not feel comfortable talking about issues with a male. It is something that should probably be outsourced, but I guess it depends on the company. If they want to do things on the cheap and put a tick beside "health and wellbeing" then doing it internally will suit a lot of them. 

17 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I suppose this might fit in here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-68380264

Students are very low and sad because they have to do exams with only two months notice. Whilst, I do feel a bit for them, how long did they expect the pandemic arrangements to last?

I can see their point in that there's a relatively short notice period and people will have been preparing for their exams to be done in the way they've been for several years.  It would have made more sense to start it from the beginning of the year.

However, closed book exams are surely perfectly normal and the talk of extreme anxiety etc seems a bit over the top.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

I can see their point in that there's a relatively short notice period and people will have been preparing for their exams to be done in the way they've been for several years.  It would have made more sense to start it from the beginning of the year.

However, closed book exams are surely perfectly normal and the talk of extreme anxiety etc seems a bit over the top.

Just like it would have made more sense to introduce VAR in at the start of a season instead of mid way through……only in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿