Young people “unable to work” at higher rates than older people

People in their early 20s are unable to work due to ill health at higher rates than those in their early 40s, according to a new report by the Resolution Foundation think tank.

One in twenty of those in the youngest age category were unable to work due to ill health. Much of this appears to be due to mental health problems, a change from previous generations when younger people had lower rates of mental illnesses than those who were older.

Link to the report here - https://www.resolutionfoundation.org/publications/weve-only-just-begun/

What do P&Bers feel can be done to improve the mental health of young people?

Should we just do the Daily Mail comment section solution and sign them all up for national service?

17 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

People in their early 20s are unable to work due to ill health at higher rates than those in their early 40s, according to a new report by the Resolution Foundation think tank.

One in twenty of those in the youngest age category were unable to work due to ill health. Much of this appears to be due to mental health problems, a change from previous generations when younger people had lower rates of mental illnesses than those who were older.

Link to the report here - https://www.resolutionfoundation.org/publications/weve-only-just-begun/

What do P&Bers feel can be done to improve the mental health of young people?

Should we just do the Daily Mail comment section solution and sign them all up for national service?

Boot their arses.

I've had the misfortune to have employed a couple of these types and it was bizarre to deal with them.

One had overhead some minor criticism of her (the person didn't know which member of staff was responsible, so it wasn't personal) and half an hour later she entered my office in tears asking to go home.

Another phoned me in a panic on my day off saying she couldn't cope. When I arrived ten minutes later everything was perfectly under control.

It's strange as their reactions are genuine, but just massively out of proportion to the events that caused them.

Unfortunately 90% of applicants are late teens, early twenties, so it's just something I have to put up with. It generally ends up with me having to cover their shift unpaid, then getting it in the neck from head office for acting so much TOIL.

Because they suffer from mental health issues I can't even extend their probation, let alone sack them, as HR are terrified of being taken to a tribunal over discrimination.

Having been in the workplace for over 20 years now, all within Global organisations, there has been a big shift from companies outwardly trying to keep employees happy to almost the opposite. 
There has also been a shift to personal brand being more important than the actual job. I had a 1-2-1 recently where the main focus was put on the fact my profile in the in-house social media was blank than any performance. 
A job for life is very rare as well so people are less bothered about holding on to one. Terms are less agreeable. 
When I started my first job I had a final salary pension, a 10% yearly bonus and a share purchase scheme. These kind of terms would make you job conscious. Within 10 years, they closed the final salary pension due to costs, they didn’t do the same to the German employees as it would be illegal there. 
I started a new job over a year ago and the additional terms are pretty good but almost standard, health insurance, dental insurance etc along with a joint contribution pension. But all of the jobs I applied for at the time had much the same. 

There have been societal changes as well, previously people would seek help from their parish or from family, community etc for personal problems. Most of these things don’t exist any more so they expect their workplace to give support.

In a short space of time at my last job, I had two people contact me out of hours to say they were suicidal, I had to facilitate counselling through the company. I couldn’t understand why they didn’t go to their family but some folk don’t have the option. 

It is easy to blame it on folk being shut-in nerds or socially awkward but there is very little incentive to be job conscious any more. 

No doubt this thread will devolve into incoherent boomer ramblings about Netflix, love island, social media, avocado toast and so on

Young people of today were raised by the boomers born in the 50s through to early 80s. The people who had everything handed to them in life on a plate. Its no surprise they'refucked, they were raised by pampered narcissists. You are the real problem generation.

Edited by Jives Miguel

39 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Having been in the workplace for over 20 years now, all within Global organisations, there has been a big shift from companies outwardly trying to keep employees happy to almost the opposite. 
There has also been a shift to personal brand being more important than the actual job. I had a 1-2-1 recently where the main focus was put on the fact my profile in the in-house social media was blank than any performance. 
A job for life is very rare as well so people are less bothered about holding on to one. Terms are less agreeable. 
When I started my first job I had a final salary pension, a 10% yearly bonus and a share purchase scheme. These kind of terms would make you job conscious. Within 10 years, they closed the final salary pension due to costs, they didn’t do the same to the German employees as it would be illegal there. 
I started a new job over a year ago and the additional terms are pretty good but almost standard, health insurance, dental insurance etc along with a joint contribution pension. But all of the jobs I applied for at the time had much the same. 

There have been societal changes as well, previously people would seek help from their parish or from family, community etc for personal problems. Most of these things don’t exist any more so they expect their workplace to give support.

In a short space of time at my last job, I had two people contact me out of hours to say they were suicidal, I had to facilitate counselling through the company. I couldn’t understand why they didn’t go to their family but some folk don’t have the option. 

It is easy to blame it on folk being shut-in nerds or socially awkward but there is very little incentive to be job conscious any more. 

I feel the same reading that.

No wonder so many younger are disillusioned with work. What are you working for now? To get a house? Nope, won't be happening for a large number of people as it becomes increasingly out of reach. Increasing costs of everything sees wages increasingly spent on essentials, leaving less and less for things folk actually want to spend money on, so many rightly see the massive issues in front of them.

Incidentally, there's quite a few younger folk in the place I work and they're all great. They do their stuff well and on time and are really helpful.

Strange how we keep seeing articles crying about younger people (see that thread about folk getting anxiety ordering in a restaurant). It's almost like an orchestrated smear campaign, but that would surely never happen...

Edited by DA Baracus

Lots of strands to this

Social media and instant messaging/sms/WhatsApp from a young age mean people learn to communicate in a vastly different way to previous generations. In the past you had no choice but to speak to people face to face or at worst over the phone, no matter how much you disliked it you were forced to learn how to do it. Nowadays so much more communication is remote, by the time a lot of people start working, they haven’t developed the interpersonal skills they need at the same rate as all us old c***s.

Mental health issues in general are now taken seriously. I’m only 41, but the shift in attitudes since I started working in that respect is night and day. An ex of mines once sat in on a hearing with a girl who had been off work for a few months, the girl had mentioned some health problems which contributed to her eventually receiving treatment for depression. After the meeting the regional manager made a private comment to the two folk who had been in there as witnesses(my ex being one) that the cause of the health problems was probably the girls husband going in the wrong hole dry, and that they should be doing all they could to get her off the payroll. Nowadays most big companies will do everything they can to support the mental health of any employee they can, even with things that seem completely minor, never mind what that girl had described.

Young folk also take a lot less shit than us old folk used to. When I started working full time, if your boss treated you like a c**t you were expected to take it and get on with the job. That doesn’t happen to anything like the same extent now, as far as I have seen.

The headline might look negative but it’s not entirely without its positives, as far as I’m concerned.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

I've had the misfortune to have employed a couple of these types and it was bizarre to deal with them.

One had overhead some minor criticism of her (the person didn't know which member of staff was responsible, so it wasn't personal) and half an hour later she entered my office in tears asking to go home.

Another phoned me in a panic on my day off saying she couldn't cope. When I arrived ten minutes later everything was perfectly under control.

It's strange as their reactions are genuine, but just massively out of proportion to the events that caused them.

Unfortunately 90% of applicants are late teens, early twenties, so it's just something I have to put up with. It generally ends up with me having to cover their shift unpaid, then getting it in the neck from head office for acting so much TOIL.

Because they suffer from mental health issues I can't even extend their probation, let alone sack them, as HR are terrified of being taken to a tribunal over discrimination.

f**k you, you ignorant c**t. 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Tl;dr

Lisa needs braces.

5 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Nowadays most big companies will do everything they can to support the mental health of any employee they can, even with things that seem completely minor, never mind what that girl had described.

My last employer provided income insurance, as standard, you had 6 months full pay and 6 months on 75% 

After that you were passed on to an insurance company that paid 75% of your wage for up to 5 years. Essentially allowing the company to go out and hire a replacement. 

Particularly with mental health issues, the individuals were put under no pressure to return. 

In my first job, one of my coworkers had a heart attack and was asked on his first home visit, when he’d be back.