Young people “unable to work” at higher rates than older people

I’m lucky enough to now work for a company that gives a shit about their staff.

Worked in retail before that (as a lot of younger people do) and experienced the below.

- Staff being strung along on temporary contracts for months, sometimes years, so there’s no job stability and no chance of getting a mortgage.

- “flexi” contracts, i.e. you get mucked about week to week and there’s no routine to your shifts. And your “basic” hours are rubbish so your holiday pay is pish. 

- Managers expecting minimum wage staff to be at their beck and call out of hours.

- Pensions stripped back.

- Overtime rates stripped back (read, non-existent).

- Any perks that the older folks used to get are now gone.

- Staff rates cut to the bare minimum to cut costs, so you're expected to do the job of two/three people.

- People getting disciplinaires and written warnings for being off sick with genuine illnesses.

I imagine there’ll be other sectors not dissimilar.

Is it any wonder that staff working under those conditions think that they owe you nothing?

Don’t know where they find all these jobs that let you take regular sickies. Most jobs I’ve had, you’d get sacked for taking sickies often. Of course the boomers will just ignore that many young people work in unstable employment (often zero hour contracts etc) and simply aren’t allowed to take regular sick days. 

I don't think the "my wean is angel" shite that seems to have overcome parents helps, they think their little shit can do no wrong therfore the child doesn't learn that actions have repercussions. They can act the c**t, get away with it and they know it in school so when it comes to real life and they find out the hard way that repercussions do exist it's difficult.

Couple all that in with the simple fact that they have almost no chance of getting what the previous generations have (home ownership, decent retirement ect) then I can see how it would be hard to be positively motivated to work hard.

7 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

No doubt this thread will devolve into incoherent boomer ramblings about Netflix, love island, social media, avocado toast and so on

Young people of today were raised by the boomers born in the 50s through to early 80s. The people who had everything handed to them in life on a plate. Its no surprise they'refucked, they were raised by pampered narcissists. You are the real problem generation.

Away bile yer heid and mhak soup.

15% mortgage rates

18% inflation

11% Unemployment

YTS, YOPs, Enterprise Allowance (40 hour week for dole money + £10)

Thatcher quite deliberately screwing Scotland over and not giving a shit

There was no cushy way to stay in education for years, only about 10% went to uni. 

Over 60% of school leavers were unemployed or on some crap government "training scheme"

If there were plates they weren't being handed out to us. 

7 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

No doubt this thread will devolve into incoherent boomer ramblings about Netflix, love island, social media, avocado toast and so on

Young people of today were raised by the boomers born in the 50s through to early 80s. The people who had everything handed to them in life on a plate. Its no surprise they'refucked, they were raised by pampered narcissists. You are the real problem generation.

Aye, it's always someone else's fault.

It is absolutely mental how sensitive that boomers get when they're rightfully told they had it relatively easy and many of them burnt the ladder they climbed. 

House ownership being put out of reach for many, over a decade of austerity, leaving uni with huge debts, public services slashed to the minimum in many cases meaning mental health support is difficult to get - it's absolutely no wonder that many young people don't have hope and the associated difficulties that come from that.  

1 hour ago, JMDP said:

It is absolutely mental how sensitive that boomers get when they're rightfully told they had it relatively easy and many of them burnt the ladder they climbed. 

House ownership being put out of reach for many, over a decade of austerity, leaving uni with huge debts, public services slashed to the minimum in many cases meaning mental health support is difficult to get - it's absolutely no wonder that many young people don't have hope and the associated difficulties that come from that.  

I wouldn't say that boomers 'had it easy', the challenges they faced were different. And having some generational fight over who had it tougher doesn't help anyone. I agree with you general point though. 

You're spot on about homeownership. In the 70s average house prices were less than 4x the average salary. It's now more than double that (often way more than double for pretty modest housing). And the option of decent, affordable council housing isn't really there. People are stuck paying rent, meaning the can't save for a deposit.

Society and work have changed. There's almost no manufacturing jobs. Take Linwood, right beside where I grew up. The car factory employed thousands. These were decent, meaningful jobs that paid a reasonable salary. That's been replaced by minimum wage retail jobs, and not as many of them. Who can afford to buy a house, raise kids, working 40 hours a week in a supermarket? I take my hat off to anyone in that situation.

There's a massive problem coming down the tracks where people will end up homeless in old age, or will never be able to retire, because they need to keep paying rent to private landlords.

Im confused.

What age are boomers? I thought that was the age group born after WII. 

I was born 1974. It seems reading this thread, im now a boomer.

Kids today cant even count without those fancy calculators.

The good old days, when there would be a scuddy video doing the doing the rounds on the shop floor. Weeks it took before you got a shite picture fading coloured snatch of big hairy fanny.

You fucking don't how good you have it...

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

Im confused.

What age are boomers? I thought that was the age group born after WII. 

I was born 1974. It seems reading this thread, im now a boomer.

Kids today cant even count without those fancy calculators.

The good old days, when there would be a scuddy video doing the doing the rounds on the shop floor. Weeks it took before you got a shite picture fading coloured snatch of big hairy fanny.

You fucking don't how good you have it...

Yeah, you're right. A boomer is someone born from the end of the war until about 1960. So the people who are all around retirement age now.

A lot of people seem to use it as short hand for anyone who they perceive as older. I blame social media.

9 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Yeah, you're right. A boomer is someone born from the end of the war until about 1960. So the people who are all around retirement age now.

A lot of people seem to use it as short hand for anyone who they perceive as older. I blame social media.

Stolen for my signature. Thanks.

8 hours ago, JMDP said:

Tbf 2008 -2022 was another era of free money, yes our government decided to go for austerity on crack but everyone from modestly wealthy to the super rich has just absolutely ridden the last wee while, kids raised in this era I think will be seriously struggling not least because no one is going to seriously teach them about AI so they are going to be utterly unprepared for the work place when they eventually rock up.

Either that or they will be given a gun and told to wander about a post nuclear apocalypse world and wonder what the point of life is.

Either way they will get to see the collapse of our climate. Lucky them.

17 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Wisnae me, a big boy did it and ran away. Always someone else's fault.