Montrose FC Vs Alloa Athletic FC

7 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

One of the most entertaining games seen at Links Park in years. Some great goals & a stomach-churning see-saw of a match. Both teams determined to win the game & both going at it full throttle.

Lyons’ opener butnegging the kerper at his near post, Dillo’s thunderb*****d header to level things just before half time, after we’d given away two very cheap goals, set the tone.

Kane Hester’s trickery sent a third whistling home not long after the re-start and when Cawley’s petulance saw him sent off on the hour we seemed set fair. Alloa were also in a bad mood; Neill at no. 6 had an epic tantrum meltdown at whoever plays left back for Alloa, and got his abuse back with interest.

However yet again we conspired to give away an awful third goal, a lot of ball watching & leaving it for someone else to deal with caused the equaliser.

I actually felt that Alloa became less threatening when they brought that big galoot Sammon on. The Irish Frankenstein- missing only the bolt through his neck- had lots of long balls launched towards him which was all very well, but Alloa were much better playing it on the ground & pulling us out of shape.

Webster’s winner was a thing of beauty and I haven’t celebrated a goal like that for a while at Links Park. A great way to win the game which we deserved, just.

An outrageous backheel from Webster in the centre circle almost set up Hester, too, but the ball just wouldn’t fall kindly for him at the critical moment, after a long run.

Really great game & an important win. Onto Cove where we should travel confidently.

Sounds painful!

14 minutes ago, Brummo said:

I wasn't there. The point is that I have heard it was a needless sending off, in that the foul on its own was probably insufficient to merit a red card.

It seemed like you were. 

1 hour ago, broomiesniper said:

Lastly, hope all is well with our elderly fan who suffered what appeared to be a medical emergency in the second half and was stretchered away 

Seconded, this did cast a shadow over the second half for me anyway. Hope he's okay.

Very important three points to get on the pitch, at least. Looking forward to watching the highlights as it's difficult to do justice to that game in a summary (much as I'm no fan of some of Alloa's away bampots, their media operation is very good).

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Scorge said:

Seconded, this did cast a shadow over the second half for me anyway. Hope he's okay.

Very important three points to get on the pitch, at least. Looking forward to watching the highlights as it's difficult to do justice to that game in a summary (much as I'm no fan of some of Alloa's away bampots, their media operation is very good).

Heard he had passed out (fainted) and thankfully the paramedics thought he was well enough for him not to need any further attention from them. So hopefully he is okay now.

E.t.a. re. Alloa's media: they actually somehow crafted a highlights package following their 5-0 defeat to Falkirk, that made the Wasps look really proper silky, which I think must have required some kind of David Blaine inspired trickery that messes with your mind.

Edited by Brummo

Great game of football today!

Credit to Alloa who a had right good go after going down to 10 men.

Got to give credit to the team after losing Luke Graham I thought we might struggle a bit, reshuffle of the pack and we got the result we needed.

Blair Lyons was MOTM today for me constant threat out wide and back on form just at the right time.

Leaving the ground seen some Alloa Ned running about with a plank of wood chasing some of the Mo young lads....Poor show!

3 games this season where I’d say we were probably just about the better side yet it’s gained us 1 measly point! Have to credit Montrose for the 7 they have taken from the 3 games, and I think when you look across them, 2 late winners and a 2 goal comeback for a point, it shows a team with a lot of fight and spirit in it. Said on our podcast this week that I see a lot of similarities between the 2 sides and can see a really good rivalry developing between us. 

As for today’s game, probably one of the best games I’ve watched in a few years, with just about everything in it! Two sides who looked really up for it and it was a great advert for this level. 

Im sure Andy will be so frustrated with the timings of the goals, and our set piece defending in general. The last one is such a poor one to concede, even more so with it being a near carbon copy of Paul Watson’s late winner earlier in the season. 

Took Alloa a good 15 minutes to get in to the game but from there the equaliser seemed to be coming. Good finish from Taylor Steven and then we should have had another when Ethan Sutherland hit the post, before he went on to break his duck. 

The Montrose equaliser is a quality delivery and good header. It’s also pretty shambolic defending from Alloa. Will say I thought the award of the free kick was very soft - I reckon it was probably the only foul given all day between a striker/defender tussle and I had been enjoying that the ref was letting both sides get at each other in these battles. Seemed strange that he then gave this one as a foul, and I sense it started a bit of frustration that ultimately leads to the red card later. 

The 3rd Montrose goal probably adds to the building frustration with the ref as there appeared two potential fouls (albeit they would also be soft!) in the centre circle when possession gets turned over. 

For the red itself it again looks a potential foul that’s not given and I’m assuming Kev has turned round and said something. (Not sure what the previous poster is going on about with regards to a foul only going to be a yellow but he changes it to a red?! The game is playing on elsewhere when the comment is made). So out of character for wee Kev and I’m sure he will be gutted about it. 

Did fear things could get pretty messy for us from there but we actually played some of our better stuff with 10 men and maintained a threat. 

I will be interested to see Gardyne’s tackle on Scougall later tonight, thought for all the world it looked high and a straight red at the time. It looked a bit of a shocker to be honest. I think back to the red Dave McKay got a couple of weeks ago and thought Gardyne’s looked a lot worse. Might feel different getting another look at it on the highlights I suppose. 

Thought we were going to hold on for a draw (which probably would have felt like a win!) but not to be. Given his foul on Scougall, pretty galling to see Gardyne grabbing the assist again. I’m a bit of a broken record when it comes to PJ, but again I want my keeper to come out and command his area better and take the pressure off the defence In that situation. 

All in all, obviously a big disappointment not to get anything from the game but I think the fans reaction to the team at the end spoke volumes of their effort today. Shame for the winning run to end but good chance to go on another one with the fixtures over the next few weeks. A really big result for Montrose and looks like going all the way to the wire between both of us and Cove for the last 2 playoff spots. 

Also hope the Montrose fan who was wheeled away is ok, never a nice thing to see at a game. 

That game was a tough watch for spells and did nothing for my nerves. Thought the game overall was pretty even and the stats on BBC sport would sound that out. Great bit of shithousery putting Sammon on for a corner then firing the corner kick low into the near post. 

The red was a weird one. Just a few players challenging for the ball it seemed then the ref very suddenly stopped play and brandished the straight red. Nobody around me could shed any light on it either. 

Both teams will be disappointed with their respective leaky defences but taking a win away from a game that had scoring draw written all over it will be a huge boost for the Mo and I hope it buckles Alloa a bit. There's only two playoff places up for grabs and it's still too close to call. 

The less said about the Alloa bairns running about with lumps of wid the better. 

Also, Andy (the fallen Mo fan) is doing well and not suffering any after affects of his episode. 

17 minutes ago, stimpy said:

That game was a tough watch for spells and did nothing for my nerves. Thought the game overall was pretty even and the stats on BBC sport would sound that out. Great bit of shithousery putting Sammon on for a corner then firing the corner kick low into the near post. 

The red was a weird one. Just a few players challenging for the ball it seemed then the ref very suddenly stopped play and brandished the straight red. Nobody around me could shed any light on it either. 

Both teams will be disappointed with their respective leaky defences but taking a win away from a game that had scoring draw written all over it will be a huge boost for the Mo and I hope it buckles Alloa a bit. There's only two playoff places up for grabs and it's still too close to call. 

The less said about the Alloa bairns running about with lumps of wid the better. 

Also, Andy (the fallen Mo fan) is doing well and not suffering any after affects of his episode. 

Wasn't at the game, but based on your narrative Cawley must have been guilty of foul or abusive language (I think is the Laws wording these days, used to be foul AND abusive language).

As @Kevchenko says, very unlike Kev and I agree he will be gutted. I may be wrong, but I think that's his only red in the 400+ games he's played for Alloa.

Good to hear Andy is OK.

Certainly looks like the two from three battle for a play off place between ourselves and Cove is hoping to be an exciting and, likely, tight one.

Pleased for young Sutherland getting off the mark. Steven and Wales continuing their February goalscoring form into March.

Our defending at times is terrible. We looked so much weaker today with Scougall back in at holding midfield instead of Virtanen or Robbo. Scougall is a tidy player but is absolutely wasted in the holding role. Also Kevin Cawley has been a great servant for Alloa and a proper club legend but he has seen better days and shouldn’t be starting games now. 

Here’s hoping we learn the lessons from today and regroup for next week.

some poor defending , hitting the woodwork three times and wee kev's sending off cost us at least a point, it was a straight red as far as i could see, that and montrose being a decent outfit and deserving to be up there fighting for the 3 into 2 places 

Wee kev still worth a start ocasionally but agree we have seen his best , his kid must be keeping him up at night for him to have tantrums like that today .

We still have a great chance and the team to do it for the playoffs,  there will be more ups and downs for  Us the mo and cove still to come 

our next game against the Mo a thome maybe very tasty indeed , but they are all crucial now .

30 minutes ago, BigMartyn86 said:

On a positive note both Taylor Steven and Bobby Wales are a joy to watch. Here’s hoping they keep the head screwed and go on to have decent careers.

I thought Taylor Steven was excellent for you guys.

1 minute ago, mo83 said:

I thought Taylor Steven was excellent for you guys.

He's been a tremendous loan signing. Started well enough, but has improved significantly with game time. Was sensational in February and even eclipsed Bobby Goals (TM) that month 😯; good chance he'll win SPFL divisional IMO.

40 minutes ago, BigMartyn86 said:

On a positive note both Taylor Steven and Bobby Wales are a joy to watch. Here’s hoping they keep the head screwed and go on to have decent careers.

Both have the talent, but as you say it's down to their heads. Will be interesting to see where they play next year.

3 hours ago, Brummo said:

The sending off was because the player concerned who received a booking for a foul, immediately afterwards used expletive language towards the referee. That was what earned him a sending off.

It didn't happen like this at all. Maybe the masterplan for you is to watch games before commenting on them 🤔

1 hour ago, BigMartyn86 said:

Our defending at times is terrible. We looked so much weaker today with Scougall back in at holding midfield instead of Virtanen or Robbo. Scougall is a tidy player but is absolutely wasted in the holding role. Also Kevin Cawley has been a great servant for Alloa and a proper club legend but he has seen better days and shouldn’t be starting games now. 

Not sure about us looking much weaker, we actually played better for spells today and created more chances than in some of the games we won recently. And while the defending was certainly dodgy at times, the biggest issue was failing to deal with set pieces into the box rather than lack of protection in front of them, albeit that might have helped at times. Don't think Scougall was in a holding role either, it's effectively the same role Flanny played so well beside Stevie Hetherington, deeper lying playmaker. Those two complemented each other perfectly.

In the current squad Stevie and Roberts is the best combination. Roberts is a different player to Flanny and won't have the same composure, but his energy and drive has brought a lot in different ways. Stevie brings the defensive side but can also get on the ball, ping passes and also slow things down when required, something we've missed in his absence. Balance of the team is best with him and Roberts in the two (and Scougall in front). Miko is brilliant at the defensive side and can be a great option, but with him and Roberts you lack that foot on the ball. Robbo in his cameo last week actually looked like he might be the next best option beside Roberts while Stevie is out. But can see why the gaffer tried Scougall today. We're lucky to have these different options regardless and q few players making a claim. 

Agree about Kev, think he's looked off the pace of late. I'm sure he still has plenty to offer but maybe as a sub for next wee while. 

Thought Andy spoke brilliantly again after that game. Take the positives, address the negatives and aim to get on another run. Going to be a fascinating run in. 

It was an excellent game that had everything. We've probably had our fair share of good results over Montrose in the past 20 years, so I don't begrudge their decent form against us this season. Game could really have went either way. Both teams played some really good stuff going forward, although both defences have probably had better days.

Cawley sending off was a weird one, but he didn't have any complaints which was pretty telling. It was unlike him and let's face it given his legendary status at the club he has more than enough credit in the bank to just move on from it. We actually improved with ten men after a pretty sluggish start to the second half

Taylor Steven was fantastic for us. At the heart of all of our best moments and always a proper threat.

Goals aside, we had some mental chances- Sutherland and Sammon both hitting the woodwork, the ball across the face of the goal at the end and even PJ Morrison came very close with a header. Montrose dominated the early stages of both halves, and that flick on to put the boy clean through belonged at a way higher level than Scottish League One.

Obviously disappointed to lose but not too much after what we put into the game. The players deserved their applause at the end of the game, which doesn't happen all that often after a league defeat. Hope both teams make the playoffs.

Posted (edited)
On 02/03/2024 at 22:38, Waspie said:

It didn't happen like this at all. Maybe the masterplan for you is to watch games before commenting on them 🤔

Not sure about us looking much weaker, we actually played better for spells today and created more chances than in some of the games we won recently. And while the defending was certainly dodgy at times, the biggest issue was failing to deal with set pieces into the box rather than lack of protection in front of them, albeit that might have helped at times. Don't think Scougall was in a holding role either, it's effectively the same role Flanny played so well beside Stevie Hetherington, deeper lying playmaker. Those two complemented each other perfectly.

In the current squad Stevie and Roberts is the best combination. Roberts is a different player to Flanny and won't have the same composure, but his energy and drive has brought a lot in different ways. Stevie brings the defensive side but can also get on the ball, ping passes and also slow things down when required, something we've missed in his absence. Balance of the team is best with him and Roberts in the two (and Scougall in front). Miko is brilliant at the defensive side and can be a great option, but with him and Roberts you lack that foot on the ball. Robbo in his cameo last week actually looked like he might be the next best option beside Roberts while Stevie is out. But can see why the gaffer tried Scougall today. We're lucky to have these different options regardless and q few players making a claim. 

Agree about Kev, think he's looked off the pace of late. I'm sure he still has plenty to offer but maybe as a sub for next wee while. 

Thought Andy spoke brilliantly again after that game. Take the positives, address the negatives and aim to get on another run. Going to be a fascinating run in. 

Maybe I just got the wrong end of the stick from the reliable source who told me about the incident.

I had assumed it was a foul by Cawley but having watched it at 0.25 speed, I see that Cawley isn't happy about something and must have said as much to the referee.

The fact is your player got sent off due to his own indiscipline. That was the main point I was making.

Unfortunately I couldn't attend today because I had other commitments, which had to take priority.

You don't actually need to be there to comment on matches.

Just like being there and watching does not necessarily make your comments any more accurate because of your own tendency towards confirmation bias.

Edited by Brummo
Correction