Dumbarton vs Peterhead

Match Outcome  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Match Outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/02/24 at 14:59

Game was abysmal. Ruth's goal was sublime. Lennon almost gave Peterhead a goal late on with a dreadful attempted clearance straight to the Peterhead right back in the box, who blasted over with the goal at his mercy. I'll take the points and move on.

A fully deserved win and a great strike from Mikey Ruth against a strangely anaemic Peterhead side.  But somebody answer me a question - why can't we leave Ruth on and play with two up front because his departure, and his ability to hold the ball, nearly cost us at the death ?

Poor game but a good win. I really like Newbury and Gray together in midfield. Both guys tear around the park winning the ball back and both always look to be positive when they get it. Ruth can frustrate with some of the chances he misses but his goal today is top drawer and it goes to show that if you do the right things often enough eventually it'll pay off. Hopefully we can now string some wins together and head into the play offs with a bit of momentum as it seems both Peterhead and Spartans are stuttering in similar fashion to ourselves. 

There was only one team that deserved to win that game, and Michael Ruth's goal was a fitting way to do it. It was absolutely top class. 

Football-wise it was almost impossible to play anything even semi-watchable because of the state of the park. It's embarrassing and, to be honest, it's disgrace. I feel for every player who had to set foot on it today, and I'd imagine it must put players off joining us.

Maybe that hurt Peterhead given Balmoor is always a good surface. Or maybe they just took a look at it, and didn't fancy it. Who knows. But they weren't at the races at all today; albeit losing Rory McAllister early on likely played a big part in that.

We were better all over the park; especially in midfield. In the previous two games Andy McCarthy has been running the show for Peterhead from centre-mid, but today he wasn't given a chance to dictate things. Cian Newbury and Finlay Gray were everywhere; I love their energy, pace and tackling. It must be like trying to keep a football from two wee dogs. Time and again they nipped in, nicked the ball and buzzed away. Two very good showings and the best balance we've had in midfield all season imo.

I thought today was Sean Crighton's best performance for us too. He was absolutely dominant in the air, used the ball relatively well (especially given (A) He's a centre-half and (B) The pitch) and he organised everything around him. Aron Lynas performed well at right-back, and it let us play Carlo Pignatiello in a more advanced role. Which is always a good idea. I especially liked when he moved into centre-midfield after Aaron Healy was introduced.

In fact defensively we ground that out like last season. Jay Hogarth was comfortable between the sticks; albeit he didn't really have a save to make. He dealt with every backpass impressively and claimed a few high balls in a commanding fashion. I said last week that he might've been rusty when he first came in, which explained the mistakes. But in the past two games he's looked a very solid young keeper.

All that being said, nobody worked harder and deserved the be the matchwinner more than Michael Ruth. I thought I had sort of grown out of the 'favourite player' stage. But nope. The guy is my favourite Sons player right now by a distance. In fact he's one of my favourite players we've had in a good few seasons.

Strikers at this level normally come into two categories. The guys who hold it up. And the guys who score. Ruth is definitely more of the first category type of player, but now he's scoring regularly he looks like the complete package. I honestly wouldn't swap him for another forward in the league.

His goal was a terrific one. Driving forward and arrowing into the top corner. But his all-round game is just first class. He runs the channels tirelessly, he's skilful one-v-one. He gets in great areas. And his hold-up play is probably the strongest area of his game. I've no idea how we do it, but I would love to see him in a two at some stage. Because the work he does from, often, isolated positions is outstanding.

He'll be away either to full-time football or somewhere like Alloa or Montrose next season at the very least I'd imagine. A real gem, and someone who has got better and better the more the season has gone on.

As good as we were though, I thought Peterhead were awful. Losing McAllister to injury was a double blow; firstly because he's been the matchwinner in the previous two games (a goal and two assists) and is still a real handful at this level. But secondly, and more majorly, because it meant Kieran Shanks had to go through the middle.

He had a horrible second-half. The ball was being hammered in his direction and he was expected to (I assume) bring it out of the air with his back to goal and Sean Crighton on him. Which is absolutely not the way he wants to play. For a wee five minute spell he totally lost his head; ending with a booking for a stupid foul. I actually thought he was going to get himself sent-off, but instead of getting riled the booking calmed him down. And he basically threw in the towel. Not great, but also totally understandable given the circumstances and the service he was getting.

I'm a massive Hamish Ritchie fan, and he was probably Peterhead's biggest threat, but even he struggled to make a mark on the game. Albeit it wasn't one for speedy wingers. Peter Pawlett was anonymous until he was hooked and the whole team just looked a bit stodgy and short on ideas going forward. Probably not unlike us during the worst games in our woeful spell between NY and last week.

We're now in a position where three points in Tuesday night could move us back to second. Our record this season against Peterhead and Spartans isn't good (today was the first win against either) but I'd probably rather play either in the semi-finals than an Annan side who have found their feet in League One based on the last two meetings at home.

Who goes up (or stays up) will all come down to form at the time I reckon. But, just like I said last week, I suspect that Annan will be feeling very confident against any of the three from this league as things stand.

17 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

We're now in a position where three points in Tuesday night could move us back to second. Our record this season against Peterhead and Spartans isn't good (today was the first win against either) but I'd probably rather play either in the semi-finals than an Annan side who have found their feet in League One based on the last two meetings at home.

Who goes up (or stays up) will all come down to form at the time I reckon. But, just like I said last week, I suspect that Annan will be feeling very confident against any of the three from this league as things stand.

I was at Falkirk/Annan today (big team found) and to be honest, Annan were absolutely honking. I have never seen a team so undeserving of snatching a 1-1 draw in the 94th minute of a game, it was daylight robbery.

I said to my young ranters at about the hour mark "We're pretty pish, but I'd still fancy even us against this Annan lot". I hadn't changed my mind by the end, despite them gaining a draw versus the league's runaway leaders.

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

Game was abysmal. Ruth's goal was sublime. Lennon almost gave Peterhead a goal late on with a dreadful attempted clearance straight to the Peterhead right back in the box, who blasted over with the goal at his mercy. I'll take the points and move on.

I thought Gallagher Lennon looked really poor. Feels like L2 is a level beyond him atm.

Just now, Silverton End said:

He's dreadful

We must be nearing the estimated Mark Durnan return date. I’m highly dubious we’ll see him again this season, but if we could get him back in and up to speed before the playoffs, it would be a big boost.

This group of players should be good enough to win the playoffs. The big question remains about whether the manager can get them to do it in big games, however.

I though we were well worth the points today .

my best for were lynas Ruth and Hogarth. Thought Newbury was quieter but in fairness he was in the middle of the ploughed field 

well taken goal from .

5 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

We must be nearing the estimated Mark Durnan return date. I’m highly dubious we’ll see him again this season, but if we could get him back in and up to speed before the playoffs, it would be a big boost.

This group of players should be good enough to win the playoffs. The big question remains about whether the manager can get them to do it in big games, however.

Durnan will be back in the squad on Tuesday night Faz said. Which is a massive boost, albeit it's going to take him a good wee while to get back up to speed. Not easy to bed a centre-half back in.

Gallagher Lennon isn't good enough. At left back or central defender. He'll do fine in the West of Scotland League while working a proper job, but he's not a pro league footballer.

Opinions as usual differ with sons fans.

my opinion is that Lennon has improved for moving from left back into central. Was better today than last week and still got a long way  to go but I feel harsh to criticise his performance today 

Gallagher Lennon came into the team when we in a dire run.  Between that and being played out of his natural position it was quite an ask.  He'll benefit from competitive game time and playing alongside more experienced players like Sean Crighton.

His main weakness is a lack of pace but that needs not be fatal in a central defender provided he can read a game.

And funnily enough Matty Shiels never impressed many of us in his first spell here.  The same Matty we were all disappointed to see go about six weeks ago.  Fitba eh ?

4 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Was today not a big game?

6 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Not really. Both ourselves and Peterhead are playing without a lot of pressure right now, we'll both safely make the play offs and can't win the league. When the pressure is on our bottle has historically gone, I do however hope that the result yesterday gives the team a bit of confidence in these sort of matches. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

I suppose you could argue it was, but was it a big game for Peterhead? Not really. I wouldn’t say there was huge pressure to deliver a win yesterday, either. Arguably Stranraer last week was a bigger pressure game, after the run we’d been on, but I wouldn’t saying winning either of these has changed my opinion on the manager. When it’s a potential title decider or playoff game (i.e. most significantly, a direct rival is also desperate for a win) he’s never delivered.

Edited by FifeSons

55 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I suppose you could argue it was, but was it a big game for Peterhead? Not really. I wouldn’t say there was huge pressure to deliver a win yesterday, either. Arguably Stranraer last week was a bigger pressure game, after the run we’d been on, but I wouldn’t saying winning either of these has changed my opinion on the manager. When it’s a potential title decider or playoff game (i.e. most significantly, a direct rival is also desperate for a win) he’s never delivered.

Supporters opinions on the manager will have no bearing on anything as he'll be here next season and possibly beyond come what may.  So there are absolutely no pressure games.  It's a unique situation and he's a very fortunate manager.

4 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Supporters opinions on the manager will have no bearing on anything as he'll be here next season and possibly beyond come what may.  So there are absolutely no pressure games.  It's a unique situation and he's a very fortunate manager.

Correct all round.