Dumbarton vs Peterhead

Match Outcome  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Match Outcome

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/02/24 at 14:59

16 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

There was only one team that deserved to win that game, and Michael Ruth's goal was a fitting way to do it. It was absolutely top class. 

Football-wise it was almost impossible to play anything even semi-watchable because of the state of the park. It's embarrassing and, to be honest, it's disgrace. I feel for every player who had to set foot on it today, and I'd imagine it must put players off joining us.

Maybe that hurt Peterhead given Balmoor is always a good surface. Or maybe they just took a look at it, and didn't fancy it. Who knows. But they weren't at the races at all today; albeit losing Rory McAllister early on likely played a big part in that.

We were better all over the park; especially in midfield. In the previous two games Andy McCarthy has been running the show for Peterhead from centre-mid, but today he wasn't given a chance to dictate things. Cian Newbury and Finlay Gray were everywhere; I love their energy, pace and tackling. It must be like trying to keep a football from two wee dogs. Time and again they nipped in, nicked the ball and buzzed away. Two very good showings and the best balance we've had in midfield all season imo.

I thought today was Sean Crighton's best performance for us too. He was absolutely dominant in the air, used the ball relatively well (especially given (A) He's a centre-half and (B) The pitch) and he organised everything around him. Aron Lynas performed well at right-back, and it let us play Carlo Pignatiello in a more advanced role. Which is always a good idea. I especially liked when he moved into centre-midfield after Aaron Healy was introduced.

In fact defensively we ground that out like last season. Jay Hogarth was comfortable between the sticks; albeit he didn't really have a save to make. He dealt with every backpass impressively and claimed a few high balls in a commanding fashion. I said last week that he might've been rusty when he first came in, which explained the mistakes. But in the past two games he's looked a very solid young keeper.

All that being said, nobody worked harder and deserved the be the matchwinner more than Michael Ruth. I thought I had sort of grown out of the 'favourite player' stage. But nope. The guy is my favourite Sons player right now by a distance. In fact he's one of my favourite players we've had in a good few seasons.

Strikers at this level normally come into two categories. The guys who hold it up. And the guys who score. Ruth is definitely more of the first category type of player, but now he's scoring regularly he looks like the complete package. I honestly wouldn't swap him for another forward in the league.

His goal was a terrific one. Driving forward and arrowing into the top corner. But his all-round game is just first class. He runs the channels tirelessly, he's skilful one-v-one. He gets in great areas. And his hold-up play is probably the strongest area of his game. I've no idea how we do it, but I would love to see him in a two at some stage. Because the work he does from, often, isolated positions is outstanding.

He'll be away either to full-time football or somewhere like Alloa or Montrose next season at the very least I'd imagine. A real gem, and someone who has got better and better the more the season has gone on.

As good as we were though, I thought Peterhead were awful. Losing McAllister to injury was a double blow; firstly because he's been the matchwinner in the previous two games (a goal and two assists) and is still a real handful at this level. But secondly, and more majorly, because it meant Kieran Shanks had to go through the middle.

He had a horrible second-half. The ball was being hammered in his direction and he was expected to (I assume) bring it out of the air with his back to goal and Sean Crighton on him. Which is absolutely not the way he wants to play. For a wee five minute spell he totally lost his head; ending with a booking for a stupid foul. I actually thought he was going to get himself sent-off, but instead of getting riled the booking calmed him down. And he basically threw in the towel. Not great, but also totally understandable given the circumstances and the service he was getting.

I'm a massive Hamish Ritchie fan, and he was probably Peterhead's biggest threat, but even he struggled to make a mark on the game. Albeit it wasn't one for speedy wingers. Peter Pawlett was anonymous until he was hooked and the whole team just looked a bit stodgy and short on ideas going forward. Probably not unlike us during the worst games in our woeful spell between NY and last week.

We're now in a position where three points in Tuesday night could move us back to second. Our record this season against Peterhead and Spartans isn't good (today was the first win against either) but I'd probably rather play either in the semi-finals than an Annan side who have found their feet in League One based on the last two meetings at home.

Who goes up (or stays up) will all come down to form at the time I reckon. But, just like I said last week, I suspect that Annan will be feeling very confident against any of the three from this league as things stand.

Do you think a full time team will gamble on Ruth? I'm not so sure, he's still yet to prove himself at League 1 level and I'm not sure he's built his name up enough yet to get to a top end team at that level. On thinking about it I actually think he'd suit Stenny perfectly, he's almost the complete opposite of Aitken and they could form a good partnership. The only way we have a hope of keeping him though is winning the play offs. 

Dreadful game on a dreadful pitch ,2 bits of skill on show ours just went past the post in the first half yours nestled in the top corner in the 2nd.More worrying for us is more injuries we finished the game with no recognised centre halfs ..might need my boots next week 

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Do you think a full time team will gamble on Ruth? I'm not so sure, he's still yet to prove himself at League 1 level and I'm not sure he's built his name up enough yet to get to a top end team at that level. On thinking about it I actually think he'd suit Stenny perfectly, he's almost the complete opposite of Aitken and they could form a good partnership. The only way we have a hope of keeping him though is winning the play offs. 

If I'm Hamilton or (dare I say it given they released him) Queen of the South for example then I'd absolutely be taking at the very least an interest in Ruth, aye. Especially if he can end the season with 15+ goals, which should be his target.

He's only just turned 22, this is the first season his career he's been a regular starter and since he broke his duck for us he's basically averaging a goal every other game (11 in 24/25 I think). All whilst not being our penalty taker unlike most centre forwards. If he took (and scored) our penalties then he'd be on track for 20 goals this season and I think the interest would be from lower half Championship clubs.

Above all else he's quick, strong, has an incredible engine, is skilful and is an actual out and out centre forward. Not one of these silly #10 types. A proper number nine. Strikers like that are in high demand because there are so few of them out there at the moment.

If he does leave us (which he will, but I don't want to think about it as it makes me too upset) I'd love to see him go to Alloa personally. They'll lose Bobby Wales in the summer and Ruth would be an excellent replacement. He'd also thrive working under the best guy in Scottish football.

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

If I'm Hamilton or (dare I say it given they released him) Queen of the South for example then I'd absolutely be taking at the very least an interest in Ruth, aye. Especially if he can end the season with 15+ goals, which should be his target.

He's only just turned 22, this is the first season his career he's been a regular starter and since he broke his duck for us he's basically averaging a goal every other game (11 in 24/25 I think). All whilst not being our penalty taker unlike most centre forwards. If he took (and scored) our penalties then he'd be on track for 20 goals this season and I think the interest would be from lower half Championship clubs.

Above all else he's quick, strong, has an incredible engine, is skilful and is an actual out and out centre forward. Not one of these silly #10 types. A proper number nine. Strikers like that are in high demand because there are so few of them out there at the moment.

If he does leave us (which he will, but I don't want to think about it as it makes me too upset) I'd love to see him go to Alloa personally. They'll lose Bobby Wales in the summer and Ruth would be an excellent replacement. He'd also thrive working under the best guy in Scottish football.

All very fair points that I'm happy to accept. Interested to see where he goes.

19 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I reckon a full-time team in League 1 would take a punt no problem, maybe even lower end Championship. This is his first full season with a proper run of games and I don’t reckon he’d command a big chunk of anyones budget given he’s coming from League 2. If any scouts have been watching him this season it would be slim pickings for them seeing any poor performances from him because even when we’re playing shite he tends to play well.

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

All very fair points that I'm happy to accept. Interested to see where he goes.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I reckon a full-time team in League 1 would take a punt no problem, maybe even lower end Championship. This is his first full season with a proper run of games and I don’t reckon he’d command a big chunk of anyones budget given he’s coming from League 2. If any scouts have been watching him this season it would be slim pickings for them seeing any poor performances from him because even when we’re playing shite he tends to play well.

I think this is a very good point as well. I've probably given him more Star Man awards in the paper then any other player.

Good result.I reckon another 8 points are needed to get 4th place.Whether we go up or not will depend on our state of mind come May and the fight left in our potential opponents.Peterhead are flagging just now but that could easily chnge.We are4th yet it seems we have been flagging all season. Really hope we do it but that would mean even more years of SF.What a shite situation to be in.