DUFC v Airdrie - 27/02/2024

4 hours ago, She who dares gins said:

Uncharacteristic defensive clusterfucks. Presented three goals to Ayr with a bow on them and at the weekend messed about with the defence and it looked like no one knew what they were meant to be doing - by the time we did, too late and two down. We’re honking away from home, struggle to score, struggle when we go behind, so really expecting absolutely nothing from this. Apart from that - all good 👍🏻 

Ignore me. You got the other Airdrie. Hard luck lads. 

Airdrie fully deserved the three points, and I'd like to think the game would be a wake up call to United. Goodwin isn't a positive manager, and his failure to start a player who scored three out of four goals against tonight's opponents puzzled me, but the players who started were even more culpable than the manager tonight, Miller Thomson excepted.

The thing is, we'll soon knock that out of the young player.

2 hours ago, Alan_G said:

Commentator trying to claim boos are for the officials. Yeah sure.

Ref was certainly getting a booing thru most of the game, but I’m sure those at the end were for the team and Goodwin as well. 

Thoroughly deserved win for Airdrie, better team on the night. 

Ref was a tosspot, somehow managed to book four United guys even though the team had only committed three fouls by that point, while Airdrie were up in the mid-teens with no yellows.  

It had no effect on the game however, and it would be poor form to deflect from an excellent Airdrie performance.

Edited by adamntg

2 hours ago, eindhovendee said:

That was a decent effort at booing considering how few were left.

Surely Goodwin has to go.

I never - like NEVER - leave early. 

I did tonight, I couldn’t stand another round of booing and swearing.  As soon as that second goal went in I was aff. 

Edited by adamntg

26 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Airdrie fully deserved the three points, and I'd like to think the game would be a wake up call to United. Goodwin isn't a positive manager, and his failure to start a player who scored three out of four goals against tonight's opponents puzzled me, but the players who started were even more culpable than the manager tonight, Miller Thomson excepted.

The thing is, we'll soon knock that out of the young player.

Thomson was excellent, better than he’d been on Sat, can’t believe the fuds in hospo gave United’s mom to Gallagher.  

Actually thought Greive had a decent game tonight.  Sibbald suddenly looked like someone who’s spent most of his career at Falkirk and Livingston…

6 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Ref was certainly getting a booing thru most of the game, but I’m sure those at the end were for the team and Goodwin as well. 

Thoroughly deserved win for Airdrie, better team on the night. 

Ref was a tosspot, somehow managed to book four United guys even though the team had only committed three fouls by that point, while Airdrie were up in the mid-teens. 

It had no effect on the game however, and it would be poor form to deflect from an excellent Airdrie performance.

We got a fairly easy ride from the ref tonight for a change. I mentioned that to my mates at the time. If I was a Utd fan I'd be well pissed off with his performance too! Not gloating, just happy to get a result up there for the first time in a long time, totally unexpected given our recent form which makes it all the more sweeter. Still think you'll win the league though, just a bad night at the office. Great stadium, superb pies, banging tunes and an Airdrie win make it a Carlsberg Tuesday for me!

5 minutes ago, CHEMOMAN said:

We got a fairly easy ride from the ref tonight for a change. I mentioned that to my mates at the time. If I was a Utd fan I'd be well pissed off with his performance too! Not gloating, just happy to get a result up there for the first time in a long time, totally unexpected given our recent form which makes it all the more sweeter. Still think you'll win the league though, just a bad night at the office. Great stadium, superb pies, banging tunes and an Airdrie win make it a Carlsberg Tuesday for me!

Had to go check the archives :

First time Airdrie have beaten Utd since their old switcheroo; United have won all previous 8 matches. 

Going further back, it’s the first win for Airdrie since a 2-1 in 1995, with two goals in last five mins; 14 meetings ago.

Airdrie had only won two of the previous meetings going back to 1981, and they haven’t had a bigger win at Tannadice since 1932 (when they won 7-2).

Worth a Carlsberg or two.

3 hours ago, adamntg said:

I did tonight, I couldn’t stand another round of booing and swearing.  As soon as that second goal went in I was aff. 

You left 4 mins into injury time? Wow, things must've been bad!

Edited by RawB93

10 hours ago, CHEMOMAN said:

This is a nice post. It'll never catch on.

10 hours ago, adamntg said:

You missed about 20 seconds of play, tbf.

18 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

Frustrating night.  Have to say this total football that Mckabe is support to bring is a myth. All they did all night was the keeper punted the ball up to the strikers and then look for 2nd balls.

There's no doubt it's grown arms and legs a bit, McCabe is good at saying the right things to sound like a modern manager and that's caught on with the media. In reality we're not particularly attacking (as our goals for shows) and we do have more variety in our play than people think (away from home anyway, at home we tend to play the same most games).

It is true that generally we try to build from the back and a huge amount of our goals come from that, as do a few of our conceded goals (see recent Ayr game). Last night was probably us a bit more direct going with 2 strikers, but we don't typically play like that. I certainly don't see it as a weakness at all that McCabe will mix things up, there was a spell early last season where he seemed he might become one of these stubborn managers who plays the same way no matter what, however he's learned to adapt and alter things depending on the opposition and that's what's allowed us to go from a free scoring side last season to a pretty solid side this season with virtually the same players. If we'd kept playing how we did last season without improving the squad we'd already be relegated. If you'd said this time last season that we'd be able to go away to Dundee Utd and win 2-0 you'd have been laughed at, it's the fact we've been able to play different styles that has given us a chance this season.

31 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

Frustrating night.  Have to say this total football that Mckabe is support to bring is a myth. All they did all night was the keeper punted the ball up to the strikers and then look for 2nd balls.

How dare we adapt and change stuff after two league defeats on the bounce.

How. Very. Dare. We.

43 minutes ago, Arab_R_us said:

You were outplayed and never looked like breaking us down once, watch back our first goal and see if that is total football enough for you.

Edited by AJ77