Your Club’s Ambitions

f**k it! I’m taking the job if they still want me! We need to ramp up our ambitions as there’s no way I’m accepting that there’s 15 teams in Scotland better than Greenock Morton! Absolutely no chance! If I believed that for a second I wouldn’t be a Morton Supporter! I don’t get that negative attitude at all!

I think Morton have finished in the top four in the second tier twice in the last few decades so making that a regular occurrence seems like a good plan to me.  It's not like Morton have been bought by a Saudi oil billionaire.  

For Caley, our goal would be to get back into the Premiership but the immediate goal is to stay in this league.  Neither look particularly attainable.

11 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

f**k it! I’m taking the job if they still want me! We need to ramp up our ambitions as there’s no way I’m accepting that there’s 15 teams in Scotland better than Greenock Morton! Absolutely no chance! If I believed that for a second I wouldn’t be a Morton Supporter! I don’t get that negative attitude at all!

There have been at least 15 teams better than Greenock Morton in Scotland 27 out in the past 30 years if my quick Google search is right, so regularly bucking that trend seems like a reasonable objective to me.

The Thistle returns to Partick would be nice...there's something Tolkien and prophetic  about that with mist swirling visions of glories to come .Failing that hot water taps in the bogs would be nice .

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I just want to check with the fans of other clubs what you feel your ambitions would be as a club.

Do you see your club as always striving for promotion to the top flight, but not quite getting there, or do you feel that you really belong in the top division?

The reason I ask is that I’ve expressed my displeasure at our club’s three year plan, which targets top sixteen, or 16th place in Scotland, as the height of our ambitions.

Top 16 = 1st to 16th (4th Championship).

You can't get higher than that. Technically.

1 hour ago, North West said:

For me I want the Pars to build a sustainable club embedded in our community bringing through youngsters into the 1st team.

A club that put supporters interests near the top of their list along with financial prudence. 

I don't ever want to see us cheat and about topple over into the abyss of 'no more club' like we come close to in 2013.

Promotion next year hopefully, but we have to earn it. 

COYP like f**k.

Aye promotion from league 1 maybe

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:

Aye promotion from league 1 maybe

I sense inherent negativity oozing from this individual. 

mmmmm, I'm also sensing maybe you're disappointed, am I right? 

Your Auntie Isa is telling me to tell you, not to worry, she adds that the Pars will come good. 

3 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

My minimum target would be top 12 in Scotland. Anything less wouldn’t get me out of bed in the morning!

Sorry, remind me the last time you were top 12 to even have that as a baseline expectation. You need to take incremental steps to progress. Otherwise you've already failed the target for this season.

3 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

there’s no way I’m accepting that there’s 15 teams in Scotland better than Greenock Morton! Absolutely no chance! If I believed that for a second I wouldn’t be a Morton Supporter!

So you pick what football team you support based on who is most successful?

4 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

I see you are a Morton fan.

16th = 4th in the Championship and I think as a 3 year plan that’s a good idea. You might have one good season in that plan and end up getting promoted but surely that’s more sensible than just throwing money you don’t have at trying to get promoted - or even worse just having no plan at all.

Best to ignore the OP. Churns out shite on a regular basis and gets his arse handed to him by his own which makes him decide to seek validation from fans of other teams. Sad really. 

Edited by Mr.Blue

8 minutes ago, North West said:

I sense inherent negativity oozing from this individual. 

mmmmm, I'm also sensing maybe you're disappointed, am I right? 

Your Auntie Isa is telling me to tell you, not to worry, she adds that the Pars will come good. 

We're no going anywhere under this board

6 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Best to ignore the OP. Churns out shite on a regular basis and gets his arse handed to him by his own which makes him decide to seek validity from fans of other teams. Sad really. 

Aye I’ve realised that seeing his other posts. Had never read anything from him prior to the OP (unless he’s changed his username).

Having watched Airdrie through some good years in Championship and 10 long years in league 1 I would be happy if our ambition was to be an established championship club, a good season sees us in a playoff for going up, but not regulary flirting with relegation at the other end of the table.

4 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Have a reality check ffs.

You're about as big time as Forfar.

9 hours ago, North West said:

So this chap had me believing he was a pucka well connected and well adjusted fella. Are you saying he's no richt in the napper? 

I’d honestly no say any more, mate. There are clearly reasons why the OP posts the stuff he posts. I think the best thing to do is to stay silent and not react.

10 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Sorry, remind me the last time you were top 12 to even have that as a baseline expectation. You need to take incremental steps to progress. Otherwise you've already failed the target for this season.

Correct, as pointed out in the Morton thread where he started off this attention seeking before creating this thread for more performative nonsense.

19 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

We last finished in the top 16 of Scottish football seven years ago, which is one of only two times we've done so in the last 25 seasons, or five times in 36 seasons. We last finished in the top 12 in 1988/89 and that was one of the worst relegations the top flight has ever seen, though not quite as bad as our previous relegation in 1984/85 which was the last time we finished in the top 10.

In light of these facts, have you considered that accusing the club of lacking ambition in announcing a plan to consolidate in the top 16 of Scottish football is absolutely fucking mental?

If a club who haven't been in top flight for 35 years, who incidentally are fan owned and have the lowest budget in the Championship which probably puts them about 25th in Scotland overall in terms of budget, came out and said they had a plan to consolidate as a top 10 club in Scotland, never drop below that level and ultimately stay in the top division as long as Motherwell have they would quite rightly be considered an absolute laughing stock whose plans are delusional. It would be as bad as League One Falkirk firing out statements talking about their rightful place in the top division, simply irredeemably mad shit.

None of this means that in the event we get ahead and win promotion in the next couple of seasons everyone at the club would be happy to do a Brechin, sitting back and accepting automatic relegation because fourth in the Championship is the peak of our ambition and just being in the top flight is an achievement. We would build a squad to push on and might manage it if we had a good manager, as clubs with smaller fanbases than us have.

Setting up realistic steps to get there by improving the club's infrastucture and growing the fanbase makes that success in future more likely, it doesn't show a lack of ambition that we're happy to rest on our laurels as a playoff challenging club in perpetuity. It shows that they have a realistic approach of how much can be achieved in a small timescale, rather than doing some ridiculous foreign owner shite and making wild promises about how we're going to be the third force in Scottish football.

I think what's been shared with fans of the plan is a bit light on detail with too much management speak, but it's understandable as I wouldn't expect us to see all the detail of what they're going to do behind the scenes. That they've made a plan at all is a change from the previous 25 years of amateurish shite from the boardroom, and openly attaching a realistic target to a timescale means they're ready to be held to account on it when we see over the coming years whether they meet the targets they've set themselves.