Your Club’s Ambitions

I just want to check with the fans of other clubs what you feel your ambitions would be as a club.

Do you see your club as always striving for promotion to the top flight, but not quite getting there, or do you feel that you really belong in the top division?

The reason I ask is that I’ve expressed my displeasure at our club’s three year plan, which targets top sixteen, or 16th place in Scotland, as the height of our ambitions.

2 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I just want to check with the fans of other clubs what you feel your ambitions would be as a club.

Do you see your club as always striving for promotion to the top flight, but not quite getting there, or do you feel that you really belong in the top division?

The reason I ask is that I’ve expressed my displeasure at our club’s three year plan, which targets top sixteen, or 16th place in Scotland, as the height of our ambitions.

I see you are a Morton fan.

16th = 4th in the Championship and I think as a 3 year plan that’s a good idea. You might have one good season in that plan and end up getting promoted but surely that’s more sensible than just throwing money you don’t have at trying to get promoted - or even worse just having no plan at all.

4 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

If you're incapable of reading for comprehension, sure. But why let that get in the way of yet another attention-seeking exercise from a fantasist like yourself. 

Just to be clear - when I read that our target (not to be confused with ambition) is top sixteen in Scotland, I was absolutely devastated. It’s the most pathetic target

I’ve ever seen in my life in business or supporting Greenock Morton. In short I can’t believe it to the point I’m wondering if it’s worth even turning up at Cappielow.

I really don’t get what’s wrong with Morton saying they should be targeting being a side who consistently make the playoffs in the second tier, it seems absolutely fair enough (if that is indeed what they’ve said)

For Thistle, I’d imagine our ambition is to be a lower end top flight club who have the occasional dalliance with the top six.

I read that as the minimum of their ambition was to be consistently in the top 4 of the championship. Its not like they'll get there and then think "job done". 

I'd be curious to understand what you expected the goal for a 3 year plan would be.

Edited by CountryBumpkin

7 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I read that as the minimum of their ambition was to be consistently in the top 4 of the championship. Its not like they'll get there and then think "job done". 

I'd be curious to understand what you expected the goal for a 3 year plan would be.

My minimum target would be top 12 in Scotland. Anything less wouldn’t get me out of bed in the morning!

16 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

Just to be clear - when I read that our target (not to be confused with ambition) is top sixteen in Scotland, I was absolutely devastated. It’s the most pathetic target

I’ve ever seen in my life in business or supporting Greenock Morton. In short I can’t believe it to the point I’m wondering if it’s worth even turning up at Cappielow.

Can't really understand why you're absolutely gutted that your club stated a 3 year target of being in the top 16 of clubs in Scotland?

If your board had specifically stated "Well, we can't ever see the possibility of ever doing any better than Championship playoffs, so there's no point in ever thinking about anything more than that" I would maybe understand your point - but they haven't, it's just a 3 year target.

They may well meet that (seen as Morton are currently a top 16 in Scotland side, it would more be a case of retaining that status). If Morton were to be promoted in that timeframe, then the target would change to retaining their status as a side in the top 12 in Scotland, or if they completely fell off a cliff and ended up in League 2 then the target for the next 3 years would be adjusted accordingly. 

Point being, I think you're reading into it far far too much.

From Ayr's point of view. My ambition would be for us not to get absolutely battered by Morton again in our next meeting.

How often have Morton finished in the playoffs/top 16 in Scotland? I remember them getting to the playoffs in there second season up after being promoted but unsure how many times since. 

I remember them putting up a bit of a title fight with Partick but I don't think the promotion playoffs were in place then? 

It doesn't seem a bad target at all tbh. It's the least Dunfermline should be targeting but we've barely managed it in recent years. 

3 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

My minimum target would be top 12 in Scotland. Anything less wouldn’t get me out of bed in the morning!

No disrespect but I think that's a bit of an unrealistic target. I see a target as being a floor not a ceiling. For Dunfermline, I'd consider top 16 in Scotland, consistently, as our target which means that when we're underperforming were still in and around the playoffs but when we get things right, promotion is on the cards. When you've reached the Premiership, obviously you want that target and floor to change but only over longer term. Outside the 5 or 6 biggest clubs, I don't think the rest of us can expect to never be relegated. 

Reaching top 16 once isn't the same target as consistently being a top 16 team, and I'd imagine it's the latter the club would be thinking of. And obviously every teams target is being in top 12 but I don't think that really needs spelt out, does it?

3 minutes ago, AUcal said:

Can't really understand why you're absolutely gutted that your club stated a 3 year target of being in the top 16 of clubs in Scotland?

I applied for the job with the targets I’ve stated, and turned it down as I felt I was too old to fulfil the 5 year plan I’d given the club, which was way beyond the top 16 scenario.

The only way I could accept it now is if I stop drinking completely, as that’s my downfall. If I do that then there’s no way in a million years that I’m targeting top 16 as My ambition for Greenock Morton- No Way!

Every club in the league has been in the promotion playoffs at least once (excluding Airdrie) so I think aiming to be a top 16 club is a legitimate long-term aim for every club in the division. 
For some clubs that will be a minimum obviously, I.E. Dundee United. 

5 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I applied for the job with the targets I’ve stated, and turned it down as I felt I was too old to fulfil the 5 year plan I’d given the club, which was way beyond the top 16 scenario.

The only way I could accept it now is if I stop drinking completely, as that’s my downfall. If I do that then there’s no way in a million years that I’m targeting top 16 as My ambition for Greenock Morton- No Way!

You should certainly stop drinking before you post. Perhaps that would be the shorter term goal 😉.

I would also like to hear of we had some sort of 3 year plan, but being a regular top 4 side in the champ would do me over the next couple of years. I reckon we'll finish no better than 5th this year. Behind your club.

Edited by velo army

6 minutes ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

I see.

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

You are such a baby for making this thread.  :lol: