The Newcastle 4

28 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

Unfair to question Barry Ferguson's Hat's integrity. The level of detail contained within his report is far too specific to be fabricated nonsense. 

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Harvey Barnes interview from a few days ago. Given he's saying his dream is to play for England then I'd say it unlikely he'll be thinking about Scotland just yet.

It's something that every player wants to do, to represent their country, but I'm fully aware of the quality that they have - so I think it takes a real good run of form or something special to get yourself into that squad. There's no reason why, if I get back to having a good run of games and hit my best form, that I can't be back involved in the squad. That's my dream, to be back involved in there and get myself more caps – that would be amazing. 

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/features/harvey-barnes-programme-interview-23-24/

On 01/03/2024 at 13:48, Virtual Insanity said:

Unfair to question Barry Ferguson's Hat's integrity. The level of detail contained within his report is far too specific to be fabricated nonsense. 

Please tell me this post is dripping with irony.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Harvey Barnes interview from a few days ago. Given he's saying his dream is to play for England then I'd say it unlikely he'll be thinking about Scotland just yet.

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/features/harvey-barnes-programme-interview-23-24/

Ah well thats that then for the time being - Barnes is a no go.

Of course it doesn't officially rule him out or anything but that would be a beyond stupid interview/statement to make if you had discussions with SFA or your agent was giving you a heads up on possibly being called up for Scotland, so safe to say he wont be included.

I (like many others) genuinely thought that now was the right time for Barnes, however reading that quote above, it sadly doesn't seem to be the case and you don't get the impression from that that he and Clarke have even met up to see if it's a possibility.

46 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

I (like many others) genuinely thought that now was the right time for Barnes, however reading that quote above, it sadly doesn't seem to be the case and you don't get the impression from that that he and Clarke have even met up to see if it's a possibility.

Going by what Steve Clarke said around Christmas time, I don't think he's had a meeting either. As Clarke and Carver say there has to be a willingness on both sides. There doesn't seem to be a willingness from Barnes.

No, at the moment I would say I’m not active in terms of talking to other players. Those things tend to work themselves out without too much involvement from me. There has to be a willingness on both sides and that’s the way it’s always going to move forward. At this moment in time there’s not a lot of movement of players that are outside the squad at this moment coming into the squad.

Steve Clarke

https://youtu.be/cj4k1eBu9vk

He’s [Livramento] on the radar. He’s on the radar as Anderson was, and Barnes is - and many others out there. The one thing I will stress. it’s important that the players who are coming to play for Scotland want to play for Scotland and I’ve always stressed this since I’ve been here. These players want to be here and want to be part of it. That’s the most important thing.

John Carver

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scotland-wants-euro-2024-squad-interlopers-the-ross-county-wildcard-steve-clarkes-masterstroke-newcastle-trio-4408532

Edited by 2426255

22 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Well that’s 1 of the 4 now put to bed!

I thought Butland was a shoe-in? 😂 Don't believe everything you read I guess, the currants will be spewing.

Edited by 2426255

Something about Anthony Gordons face and demeanor made me think he'd never even consider switching to us anyway tbh.

Livramento is the best of the 4, IMO, but he'll know hes too good not to be capped by England.

6 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Well that’s 1 of the 4 now put to bed!

Senior friendlies are not deemed sufficient to tie a player to an association.

Hopefully he does a Stuart McCall and finds a way not to enter the field of play. 

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Harvey Barnes has an England cap and he still hasn't been "put to bed" as an option.

True. But Harvey Barnes' one England cap was over three years ago and he's not been close to another since. Gordon's in the current England squad. If it doesnt formally put it to bed for a career yet, it certainly confirms he wont be in dark blue in Germany this summer (although not having been named in our squad on Tuesday in reality had already confirmed that).

Edited by Skyline Drifter

That squad is missing Grealish and Rashford, Eze is a left winger and has been in the squad recently and possibly even Sterling. I think Barnes is quite a bit down the list. 

He would be a great addition to Scotland but 1 cap for England may be worth the world to him and there is nothing wrong with that and he may never want to close the door on it.

19 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I thought Butland was a shoe-in? 😂 Don't believe everything you read I guess, the currants will be spewing.

Rangers fans online are saying that he's way better than Sam Johnstone who was the guy keeping him out the Palace team. 

Butland and Hart have been successful up here but Hart was 3rd choice at Burnley behind Pope and Heaton before being backup at Spurs. Butland was 2nd choice at Palace then Man Utd before coming here.

Even look at Fraser Forsters loan back at Celtic and again he was behind Alex McArthy at Southampton at that time.

It is as if there are different levels and facing Haaland and Salah is harder than being shot at by Shankland and Theo Bair.

What I would say though as an OF scout is to look at the back up keeper market in the EPL as they clearly are very good keepers when they come up here.

12 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

True. But Harvey Barnes' one England cap was over three years ago and he's not been close to another since. Gordon's in the current England squad. If it doesnt formally put it to bed for a career yet, it certainly confirms he wont be in dark blue in Germany this summer (although not having been named in our squad on Tuesday in reality had already confirmed that).

Harvey Barnes was in the media last week talking about his dream of playing for England. And there’s still people talking about calling him up.

There is a video on BBC from an interview yesterday with Livramento and they ask him about Scotland/Portugal/England 

He doesn't really give anything away other than "his family will support him with whatever decision he makes" suggesting he hasn't made one yet. 

He also says (I think) that he'll "cross that bridge when he comes to it". I would be amazed if Scotland hasn't already reached out to him which would suggest the bridge in his mind is Portugal or England.

And that his Scottish mum "would be buzzing if he was called up for England"

Nothing unexpected I guess. Doesnt look likely unless he stagnates as a player and England and Portugal aren't interested. 

Edited by Quentin Taranbino

Was never likely that we'd get Gordon. 

To be honest unless there is someone really outstanding i don't think Clarke will be massively fussed in upsetting the current squad. We're a good team and have matchwinners. 

The only main issue was Goalkeeper and Gunn is our best option now. The only other area i think we're getting light in is on the wing, The christie, armstrong role. That's something that Gordon would've helped with but no a big deal.

England have ridiculous depth to choose from, that's the only hope for the other home nations, that players get overlooked and happen to have a connection to another country.

One thing England are doing atm is tying players down, Gordon and Mainoo both can play for other countries but are getting capped now, neither will start at euros over the other options.