The Newcastle 4

8 hours ago, PrestersKTID said:

One thing England are doing atm is tying players down, Gordon and Mainoo both can play for other countries but are getting capped now, neither will start at euros over the other options.

Capping them now doesnt tie them down to anything.

Albeit I accept its a strong indication of where their heart lies.

On 14/03/2024 at 20:21, RandomGuy. said:

Something about Anthony Gordons face and demeanor made me think he'd never even consider switching to us anyway tbh.

Livramento is the best of the 4, IMO, but he'll know hes too good not to be capped by England.

Alain Chabat Computer GIF

On 27/02/2024 at 23:01, edinabear said:

Noticed they were all playing tonight against Blackburn. Which ones do your think will make the squad?

Harvey Barnes

Elliott Anderson

Tivo Livramento

Antony Gordon

Probably just Barnes I think. Anderson not good enough. And Livramento and Gordon holding out for England.

Gordon would be a major coup though

image.thumb.png.88e4a3b22ad03e329297b3a0f50fb42a.png

• 3 weeks later...

Should this be the Newcastle 3 now that Gordon has been selected by Southgate?
But it’s unlikely he goes to Germany in a 23 man squad 

The remaining Newcastle 3, John Carver has gone all quiet about these lads. Or has Clarke told him to shut the f**k up and he’ll stick with the exact same players that got Scotland to Germany?  

37 minutes ago, BroraBoy said:

Should this be the Newcastle 3 now that Gordon has been selected by Southgate?
But it’s unlikely he goes to Germany in a 23 man squad 

The remaining Newcastle 3, John Carver has gone all quiet about these lads. Or has Clarke told him to shut the f**k up and he’ll stick with the exact same players that got Scotland to Germany?  

aye it's no good enough from clarke. he's sabotaging our chances of bring home the trophy. too stubborn. too loyal. we need livramento, barnes and anderson on board and starting against germany. why hasn't he made it happen yet? they should've all been capped in the friendlies so their tied into playing for scotland.

i'll never forgive him for letting gordon slip thru our fingers.

Edited by 2426255

On 27/03/2024 at 10:22, PrestersKTID said:

Should be calling up Livramento, he seemed like the most likely to choose scotland plus we need another option at right back. 

I think if he would play for us he would be a great addition, what makes you think he's the most likely to play for us tho?

55 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

I think if he would play for us he would be a great addition, what makes you think he's the most likely to play for us tho?

Discounting Anderson, Livramento is the only one I've heard say anything personal about Scotland. Before the last Euros I read and interview where he was asked if he'd consider Portugal over England and he said something along the lines of "my dad isn't much into football but my mum would love it if I played for Scotland". I doubt that makes it him any more likely to play for us imminently though.

52 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

Discounting Anderson, Livramento is the only one I've heard say anything personal about Scotland. Before the last Euros I read and interview where he was asked if he'd consider Portugal over England and he said something along the lines of "my dad isn't much into football but my mum would love it if I played for Scotland". I doubt that makes it him any more likely to play for us imminently though.

Clarke needs to make it happen, that's his job. if involves gaffa tape the so be it. he let gordon and andersen slip thru our fingers that's unforgivable.

Get those youngsters down to harthill service, bring big Eck - push the boat out, offer sweeteners. get it done.

Edited by 2426255

14 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

Well its positive and better than "I wouldn't consider scotland"

16 hours ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Well its positive and better than "I wouldn't consider scotland"

I was hopeful that one of these players would of been joining us in the last year os so but tou get the feeling that none will be joining up with us now.

Livramento is a great wee player and is good enough to be called up by Portugal or England so he'll be waiting around.

Barnes is England through and through and seems to have a bit of integrity about him so no chance he joins us after comments he has made in the past IMO.

Anderson most likely as don't think he is as talented as the other two and can't see him being capped by England anytime soon due to the obscene competition he is up against. Also,  he hasn't proven himself in the EPL even as an impact sub and don't think you can say what his actual best position is. Hopefully by his mid twenties he realises he won't have England picking him and he joins us then.

1 hour ago, Butters Scotch said:

I was hopeful that one of these players would of been joining us in the last year os so but tou get the feeling that none will be joining up with us now.

Livramento is a great wee player and is good enough to be called up by Portugal or England so he'll be waiting around.

Barnes is England through and through and seems to have a bit of integrity about him so no chance he joins us after comments he has made in the past IMO.

Anderson most likely as don't think he is as talented as the other two and can't see him being capped by England anytime soon due to the obscene competition he is up against. Also,  he hasn't proven himself in the EPL even as an impact sub and don't think you can say what his actual best position is. Hopefully by his mid twenties he realises he won't have England picking him and he joins us then.

until then we could send luke mccowan a text. if he's not busy in june then he could maybe help us out.

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

I think if Hickey’s injury makes him a doubt for Germany you have to at least sound out Livramento. I’d argue he’s better than Patterson. 

He's certainly better than Patterson but what makes you assume he's not been "sounded out" already? It's not like his eligibility is some startling recent revelation.

Livramento has no particular reason to jump our way at the moment unless he was raised 'Scottish' a la McTominay, which his involvements in young England sides would suggest he wasn't. He's 21 years old. England's established right back Kyle Walker is 33. He'll be competing with the regularly injured Rhys James for the England right back slot soon enough and likely for the next decade. There's no reason at all for Livramento (or Gordon) to be committing as Scottish any time soon if they'd prefer to play for England. Nor Anderson I suppose but he's not as good as them plus he was Scottish through his youth career so his recent consideration to defect the other way was a surprise.

Harvey Barnes is slightly different in that he's nearly 27, has one England cap from 4 years ago and plays in a position where he's up against guys like Jude Bellingham, Phil Foden and Marcus Rashford for a place. His chances of playing for England are much lower and he has 5 years less in which to do so. However, you have to respect if he considers himself English and only wants to play for them that's fine.

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's 21 years old. England's established right back Kyle Walker is 33. He'll be competing with the regularly injured Rhys James for the England right back slot soon enough and likely for the next decade.

Suspect Alexander-Arnold will be England's starting RB once Southgate leaves (which I feel like is after the next World Cup, unless this Euros is a disaster for them).

He's 25, James is 24, then Rico Lewis (18) of Man City is a right back who's already got senior caps too.

Portugal has Cancelo (29) and Dalot (25) as regular RBs too.

It's a lot of competition for him, so it might depend how quickly he wants involved in International football. If we could persuade him that Robertson retiring bumps Hickey to that side and RWB is his, within a couple of years (Robertson also waits until after the World Cup?), then maybe that sways him closer to us?

39 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Suspect Alexander-Arnold will be England's starting RB once Southgate leaves (which I feel like is after the next World Cup, unless this Euros is a disaster for them).

He's 25, James is 24, then Rico Lewis (18) of Man City is a right back who's already got senior caps too.

Whit? Alexander-Arnold wont even be Liverpool's starting right back next season. He's been playing midfield lately under Klopp and Bradley or Gomez at right back. Trent cant defend for love nor money.

Take the point re Rico Lewis but he hasnt been playing right back either. He mostly plays midfield (mainly because Walker plays there right enough so that may change shortly).

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Whit? Alexander-Arnold wont even be Liverpool's starting right back next season. He's been playing midfield lately under Klopp and Bradley or Gomez at right back. Trent cant defend for love nor money.

No he hasn't? Bradley and Gomez have only started playing since Alexander-Arnold got injured. I think he's only managed to start 1 game this calender year due to injury. 

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's certainly better than Patterson but what makes you assume he's not been "sounded out" already? It's not like his eligibility is some startling recent revelation.

Livramento has no particular reason to jump our way at the moment unless he was raised 'Scottish' a la McTominay, which his involvements in young England sides would suggest he wasn't. He's 21 years old. England's established right back Kyle Walker is 33. He'll be competing with the regularly injured Rhys James for the England right back slot soon enough and likely for the next decade. There's no reason at all for Livramento (or Gordon) to be committing as Scottish any time soon if they'd prefer to play for England. Nor Anderson I suppose but he's not as good as them plus he was Scottish through his youth career so his recent consideration to defect the other way was a surprise.

Harvey Barnes is slightly different in that he's nearly 27, has one England cap from 4 years ago and plays in a position where he's up against guys like Jude Bellingham, Phil Foden and Marcus Rashford for a place. His chances of playing for England are much lower and he has 5 years less in which to do so. However, you have to respect if he considers himself English and only wants to play for them that's fine.

Ok mate, nobody will play for Scotland unless you say so 👍