St Johnstone v Livingston - 02/03/24

2 minutes ago, Muirton Saint said:

Was a poor game all round. Was suprised when we equalised and Livi were still treating like it was 1-0 to them.

Must say, the block that Keltjens made somepoint in the 2nd(?) half impressed me. Feel we've got a decent rb in him and could do with a better attacking option ahead of him.

Gordon on the other hand, must have went down twice with a head knock which both took out our own player. He's reckless, and he's at an age where it can't be inexperience as an excuse, he has somewhere near 200 professional games for christ sake. If it didn't mean our starting cbs were McGowan and Considine I would have him dropped. 

We came back from 2-0 down against County and went for the winner, then got sucker punched and lost 3-2, so i think that has made Martindale scared to go for it again. However at this stage it would be as well losing again that settling for a draw, 1 point isn't much use to us.

For an awful game of football there are a decent amount of talking points.

Referee had no handle of that game whatsoever. We completely took the piss with the timewasting at some points, but instead of doing what you're supposed to in those situations and throw bookings out, he just let other infringements go unpunished. The worst was when Shamal held on to the ball for around 30 seconds, May tries to kick the ball out of his hands during his kicking motion, and the ref just turns around and gives Shamal a row for holding on to it too long. Follow the damn rules and give the indirect free kick. Montano's booking was entirely for being annoying, he was fouled, and it wasn't even anything that remotely resembled a booking, but having been time wasting before and clearly annoying the ref the card came out anyway.

Shinnie's finish was quality, but he was absolutely awful for the rest of the game. I still don't see what Carson brings to this team, yet he's somehow become an instant starter, which might be indicitive of our entire season.

St Johnstone in the first half were absolutely pish. Worst half I've seen from anyone this season. So what do we do, we decide to spend the entire second half time wasting and refusing to get out of our own box. Any minor sense of adventure would have seen us hold on there, but I can't help but feel that we got what we deserved. 

The Sangare/Brandon substitution is absolute peak Martindale. Nothing sums him up more. Due to injuries we're taking off an attacking mid and a full back, so we put on an attacking mid and a full back. But wait, wouldn't it be funny if we put them in the opposite fucking positions?? When on earth has Jamie Brandon ever looked like an attacking mid? Then, 2 minutes later, Clark finds the gap between Sean Kelly and Sangare to score from a free header. Can't help but feel that we got what we deserved. 

Guthrie was ok when he came on, but putting Yengi out on the left wing neutered him. I did very much enjoy his refusal to let Mitov take an uncontested drop ball though.

I'm sure there were more things to talk about. Nottingham is a much better full back than a centre back, but Martindale's refusal to put him back in there today was insane. He's not great at CB, but he is better than Sean Kelly. Shamal looked good, great save on the 1-on-1. Yengi should be our number 9, every time when he's fit. McKay was ok, but Bradley must be wondering what he has to do to get game time. 

Oh well, at least there's no VAR to ruin celebrating goals in the Championship.

8 hours ago, thruthenight said:

I still don't see what Carson brings to this team, yet he's somehow become an instant starter, which might be indicitive of our entire season.

He seems like a worse version of Jason Holt, to me. Type of niggly, safe, deep midfielder teams sometimes need, but im not sure you need two of them.

9 hours ago, The Saintee said:

Another goal conceded from a cross ball...

Given Livi's height advantage they were always a threat in the air.  But it wasn't one of their giants that scored - it was Andrew fucking Shinnie. Left unmarked eight yards out. Criminal really. 

Not a good performance from us by any stretch.  I think we have just about enough to stay up, but we need a major rebuild for next season.  

I like Kjeltens, looks a good player and I think would benefit if we could get Drey in front of him (if we ever see a fit Drey again). Also was disappointed to see DJ go off. Thought he was doing OK. 

The match was terrible.  Just another in a long line of shitshows at McDiarmid over the last three years.  

ETA: I'd pay good money to see someone skelp Jason Holt in the pus. Annoying wee fanny.

Edited by The Marly

I do have some sympathy for saints in that game, as much as we were genuinely terrible how can you get any sort of rhythm and momentum going against those tactics. Allowed by the referee, the ball was only active and on the ground for about 15 minutes of that game and we played 108 fucking minutes. Thought Adama made an impact off the bench by being physical and actually looking to turn his man, equally I felt for Smith since he should never have had to play wide right and we looked better when we switched it up. Considine is done, Robinson was awful again and the only pass marks other than Mitov were Keltjens and McGowan. 

22 minutes ago, Widge said:

I do have some sympathy for saints in that game, as much as we were genuinely terrible how can you get any sort of rhythm and momentum going against those tactics. Allowed by the referee, the ball was only active and on the ground for about 15 minutes of that game and we played 108 fucking minutes.

Screenshot_20240303_081542_Microsoft365(Office).thumb.jpg.ccbf1c62a9ef97863d764cc1bc06907e.jpg

70 fucking minutes, most of which was watching Livingston players stroll towards a ball and pull their socks up 8 times on the way, or watching Obileye roll about clutching his face before jumping up just before the physios were called.

Genuinely think its the worst game of football ive ever sat through.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

70 fucking minutes, most of which was watching Livingston players stroll towards a ball and pull their socks up 8 times on the way, or watching Obileye roll about clutching his face before jumping up just before the physios were called.

Struggling to think of a worse game live or not. Even the 38or so minutes the ball was in play most of that it was 30 foot in the air.

That's why I'm struggling to be too down on the (saints) players tbh.

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot_20240303_081542_Microsoft365(Office).thumb.jpg.ccbf1c62a9ef97863d764cc1bc06907e.jpg

What’s a “typical” amount of dead time in a Saints game this season, or more generally?

Expanding on the “worst game” theme… I pretty much always stay until the final whistle, have sat through some pathetic defeats to see them through, but yesterday I gave serious though to just going home just after the hour mark it was that dire. 

Edited by hamicle

10 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Struggling to think of a worse game live or not. Even the 38or so minutes the ball was in play most of that it was 30 foot in the air.

That's why I'm struggling to be too down on the (saints) players tbh.

Inclined to agree with this. I’m no fan of the way Levein generally sets his team out but yesterday was not on him. We missed a Liam Craig, Chris Miller type of player that would not allow us to descend into shelling the ball the way Livvy did. Admittedly it’s difficult to play open attacking passing football with the pitch in the state it is but when we eventually started to get the ball down and pass it we were so much better.

Livvy we’re a disgrace and were allowed to get away with it by a refereee who would have been out of his depth in a dried up puddle.

24 minutes ago, hamicle said:

What’s a “typical” amount of dead time in a Saints game this season, or more generally?

Opta said ~45 minutes of dead time was the average last season.

Screenshot_20240303_091141_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fd6ff6594a47486f7e1c7a8a0798f72d.jpg

Edited by RandomGuy.

Here was me thinking that was two shite teams with no interest in "playing football" and just taking full advantage of a shite ref

Even more raging at Martindale that we've missed out on watching St Johnstone's prime-Barca style of football

Just now, LiviLion said:

Here was me thinking that was two shite teams with no interest in "playing football" and just taking full advantage of a shite ref

Even more raging at Martindale that we've missed out on watching St Johnstone's prime-Barca style of football

We were shite, aye, and time wasting absolutely has a place.

Watching Nottingham take 40 seconds at every throw in, then George hold the ball for ~20 seconds every time he got it was taking the piss though. We also had Obilye waste a couple of minutes with "head knocks" and miraculously recover the exact moment the ref was away to signal for physios on.

I know club bias can be strong etc., but ive no idea why Livingston fans arent furious at their own team for it. Up against a side clearly struggling to pass the ball, a goal up, and you spent the best part of an hour allowing our players a breather to clear their head and constantly giving us the ball to try again.

It wasnt just shite to watch, it was stupid too.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I know club bias can be strong etc., but ive no idea why Livingston fans arent furious at their own team for it.

Must have missed the posts from Livi fans full of delightful praise. Of course we're furious, but I really hope you see the irony in the first part of this. Both teams were doing the exact same thing yesterday, minus the extent of time-wasting obviously, but even then the game was that slow that every throw-in at 0-0 was taking ages anyway. Yet you've got some St Johnstone fans here making it out that if it wasn't for big bad Livi they'd have been playing neat, exciting, gorgeous passing football. Both sets of players were throwing themselves to the ground at any slight contact, it was obvious it was going that way when the ref was giving a foul for it just about every time. 

St Johnstone have their share of the blame for the quality of yesterday's game, but as you said yourself club bias can be strong and too many folk (grown adults btw) fully believe that everything their team does is perfectly fair and reasonable/justifiable/correct, while the opposition are always just at it

Personally, the worst game I've seen St Johnstone play this season was last week in Paisley. Sure yesterday was shite and the play acting etc was laughable but plenty of the stoppages were for Saints players. Gordon twice, DJ and Sprangler to name just a few. Dunno what folk are expecting from a Livi side that are a bawhair from relegation, they're shite and need to do anything to collect ANY points.

I still think that 0-0 draw with St. Mirren in 2021 is the worst game of football I’ve witnessed. Yesterday was bad, but at least something happened. 

35 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Yet you've got some St Johnstone fans here making it out that if it wasn't for big bad Livi they'd have been playing neat, exciting, gorgeous passing football.

Nope. The pitch was atrocious and we couldnt string any passes together.

It was a shite game of football even without the time wasting. We took time at throw ins because we're shite, you took an age to take throw ins because players were making sure to take as long as possible to go to the ball. Devlin going off injured, while doing a tour of the defence shaking everyones hand and then "forgetting" about the armband and having to stop to slowly take it off, was excruciating. 

As i said. Timewasting is an acceptable part of football and a team rooted to the bottom doing at 1-0 up is understandable, but the extent Livingston done it to was simply harming themselves and ruining the game for every single fan in the stadium, including yours. You can still have an entertaining battle of a game without teams completing passes, but killing all tempo in the match and then feigning injury at every 50/50 ends that. Carson taking a few seconds to claim he'd been kicked, rolling about holding his ankle, then jumping up to chase the ref, all after being about a yard away from any contact, a real low point.

2 hours ago, hamicle said:

Expanding on the “worst game” theme… I pretty much always stay until the final whistle, have sat through some pathetic defeats to see them through, but yesterday I gave serious though to just going home just after the hour mark it was that dire. 

The last three seasons have been dead time.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He seems like a worse version of Jason Holt, to me. Type of niggly, safe, deep midfielder teams sometimes need, but im not sure you need two of them.

I really rate what he brings to the team. He's more filling the void Bartley left and we never replaced to fill. Carson gets to do the dark arts dirty work and Holt gets to actually use the quality he has now

54 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I really rate what he brings to the team. He's more filling the void Bartley left and we never replaced to fill. Carson gets to do the dark arts dirty work and Holt gets to actually use the quality he has now

Hopefully both will still be with us next season,regardless of where we are🤞.