St Johnstone v Livingston - 02/03/24

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

We were shite, aye, and time wasting absolutely has a place.

Watching Nottingham take 40 seconds at every throw in, then George hold the ball for ~20 seconds every time he got it was taking the piss though. We also had Obilye waste a couple of minutes with "head knocks" and miraculously recover the exact moment the ref was away to signal for physios on.

Sean Kelly annoyed me the most - every set piece and throw-in he just walked across to take them like it was a Sunday morning stroll round the park, even at 0-0 the ball went out for a corner in front of the main stand and it must’ve been nearly two whole minutes by the time he wandered over and took it from the ball going out of play. 

20 hours ago, thruthenight said:

I still don't see what Carson brings to this team

It was fine playing Shinnie in that "double pivot" with Holt when they had 3 centre backs behind them but Shinnie's defensive game isn't strong enough to partner Holt in the 4-2-3-1. Sangare is a box to box type rather than a holder. Sean Kelly isn't mobile enough (and in my opinion, not good enough). Pittman can play there but Martindale likes to use Pittman as the central attacking mid. So a suitable partner for Holt was needed and Carson was all Martindale could get. Carson reminds me of Keaghan Jacobs. Very right footed but its a decent right foot, his passing is solid. His tackling and pressing is also solid. He's playing at the upper limit of his competence at this level, again similar to Jacobs, so "solid" is the best we're going to get from him. He's very far from the quality of Holt's previous partner Omeonga (who Martindale inexplicably mostly kept benched). Yet Carson does a serviceable job and I've been pleased with his contribution so far.

You guys must have been hell of a lucky going to games and not seeing this sort of thing happen every week. Players letting the ball hit them when it gets thrown to them to take a throw in, and then take an age going to pick it up, then chuck it to another player to take the throw in. Players being subbed going as slow as possible, then doing that wee jog that is even slower than when they were walking, clapping the fans one more time as they're right at the edge of the pitch, then stopping again to give the player coming on a wee pat. Going down injured and miraculously getting up just before the physio comes on, so they don't need to go off, or sitting at the edge of the pitch, and even rolling back onto the pitch to get treatment so the game has to be halted till they get treatment, and by that time a substitution has been made for the injured player coming off. I've seen all that sort of stuff and more from opposition players when their team isn't anywhere near bottom of the league too. At this stage i doubt our players care too much if opposition fans are being entertained by the football, just getting pts is our sole priority.

10 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

You guys must have been hell of a lucky going to games and not seeing this sort of thing happen every week. Players letting the ball hit them when it gets thrown to them to take a throw in, and then take an age going to pick it up, then chuck it to another player to take the throw in. Players being subbed going as slow as possible, then doing that wee jog that is even slower than when they were walking, clapping the fans one more time as they're right at the edge of the pitch, then stopping again to give the player coming on a wee pat. Going down injured and miraculously getting up just before the physio comes on, so they don't need to go off, or sitting at the edge of the pitch, and even rolling back onto the pitch to get treatment so the game has to be halted till they get treatment, and by that time a substitution has been made for the injured player coming off. I've seen all that sort of stuff and more from opposition players when their team isn't anywhere near bottom of the league too. At this stage i doubt our players care too much if opposition fans are being entertained by the football, just getting pts is our sole priority.

Keeping possession is a better way to run down the clock. Random Guy made the point in this thread or the Livi one that Anderson would've been a good sub to bring on from a Livi perspective. His constant movement allows him to get onto long through passes from our midfield or clearances from our defenders. He wins free kicks with his nippiness (gets in ahead of defenders). He has a good first touch and his passing is underrated, especially his lay offs to supporting midfielders. Even smarter would've just been to leave Yengi at centre forward. Nouble coming on earlier would've made a lot of sense as he can dribble which both keeps you possession and gets you up the pitch. Brandon should've come on long before he did as he also has composure in possession.

When we used to look comfortable while leading it was largely because players such as Lawless, Byrne, Forrest, Omeonga and the like could hold onto the ball for us.

Edited by Freedom Farter

21 hours ago, thruthenight said:

Shinnie's finish was quality, but he was absolutely awful for the rest of the game

Shinnie in a nutshell. He's a moments player. He makes telling contributions in the final third but he's never going to dominate a match. I think Martindale moved him to centre mid for most of this season to try and get him in the game more, to try and get him using his touch, pass and composure to direct our play. It worked on occasion, such as the match at home to Hearts back in January. Overall, though, I think Shinnie is still just best used as an attacking third player and you have to accept you'll get quality moments but not a lot in between from him.

Edited by Freedom Farter

9 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

Keeping possession is a better way to run down the clock. Random Guy made the point in this thread or the Livi one that Anderson would've been a good sub to bring on from a Livi perspective. His constant movement allows him to get onto long through passes from our midfield or clearances from our defenders. He wins free kicks with his nippiness (gets in ahead of defenders). He has a good first touch and his passing is underrated, especially his lay offs to supporting midfielders. Even smarter would've just been to leave Yengi at centre forward. Nouble coming on earlier would've made a lot of sense as he can dribble which both keeps you possession and gets you up the pitch. Brandon should've come on long before he did as he also has composure in possession.

When we used to look comfortable while leading it was largely because players such as Lawless, Byrne, Forrest, Omeonga and the like could hold onto the ball for us.

Hey it's Livi we're talking about, lucky if we keep possession for 3 passes. Anyways, the time wasting and such goes on every week when a team is winning, shithousing game management type stuff, to stop any flow to the game, and making it stop start all the time. St Johnstone were masters of it when they won the cup double, once they scored you were fucked, because you rarely managed to get back in the game against them, they did it to us and Hibs in both finals. It was actually to be admired, it won them 2 cups.

Just wish we were better at it and could see out games.

Big Marv Bartley was brilliant at it for us, buying fouls being nudged in the back and falling down, making sure the pressure was off us when we were defending in our half, could also protect the ball well and run down the clock up the other end, in the corner flag.

37 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Big Marv Bartley was brilliant at it for us, buying fouls being nudged in the back and falling down, making sure the pressure was off us when we were defending in our half, could also protect the ball well and run down the clock up the other end, in the corner flag.

The wage spent last summer on Nottingham (and possibly also the one on Devlin) should've instead been spent on a quality, experienced centre mid in the Bartley mould. 

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

St Johnstone were masters of it when they won the cup double, once they scored you were fucked, because you rarely managed to get back in the game against them, they did it to us and Hibs in both finals. It was actually to be admired, it won them 2 cups.

Ok I’ve read it again and you really are  seriously comparing the way Livingston played yesterday to the St Johnstone double winning team.

One of the wildest statements I’ve read on this forum.