How Long Do You Give A New Signing?

It's a tough one, Willie furphy got sent off in his second match for County but then went on to be a backbone in the side, Martin Prest scores a hatrick looks like Pele then utter mince. Managers tend to get more time than players although it helps if you.can actually kick a football if you are a player 🤔 

I suppose there are "new" signings who will be pretty familiar if they've played in Scotland before e.g. Hearts fans would have expected Shankland to score goals from the start given his pedigree.

Then there are the mysterious signings from the English lower reaches/Albanian Second Division....

On 03/03/2024 at 15:26, Dons_1988 said:

How long you give them is less important than the capacity to change your mind. Far too many people are absolutely wedded to their first impressions of a player so they can say that they ‘called it’. 

I'll have you know I've only ever done this with home grown players. I can smell a snake (though not a snake with tits - the perfume masks it, I presume. Possibly the tits in fact, who knows) but I never, ever change my opinion on a boy who comes through the ranks because let's face it.. when you score a 90th minute own goal to basically scupper a seasons worth of title chase at home to Clyde then aye, yer a fucking snake Paul Dixon.

Oh, you moved to Dundee United.

I FUCKING KNEW IT ALL ALONG YER A FUCKIN SNAKE. DIXON.

Edited by Derry Alli

There's no set rule because different individuals settle at different rates, but you will form an initial impression within the first few appearances. What's important is being able to admit when your first impression was wrong.

From what I can read online, some fans make their mind up before the player is even signed, even when they don't know the player. A lot of fans need to remember that highlight reels are deceptive and that stats alone don't tell the entire story.

29 minutes ago, LuboMoravcik said:

There's no set rule because different individuals settle at different rates, but you will form an initial impression within the first few appearances. What's important is being able to admit when your first impression was wrong.

From what I can read online, some fans make their mind up before the player is even signed, even when they don't know the player. A lot of fans need to remember that highlight reels are deceptive and that stats alone don't tell the entire story.

What about your players from yesterday?

A few of them look like projects and not ready to play week in week out.

Which ones will make the grade?