How Long Do You Give A New Signing?

I'm usually giving a player 12 games as a free hit but after that I want o see some improvement.

Phil Clement was on the radio yesterday saying he has a rule and gives the player a season to settle in.

Maybe I expect too much from a new signing. Typical Hearts fan. What about you?

7 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I'm usually giving a player 12 games as a free hit but after that I want o see some improvement.

Phil Clement was on the radio yesterday saying he has a rule and gives the player a season to settle in.

At St Mirren we give them till about their third touch of the ball.

9 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

A season is mental, imo.

Myziane Maolida had an absolute car crash on his debut v Rangers - honestly looked like he had never seen a fitba before in his life.

Lots were writing him off, quoting his old boss at Hertha saying he was lazy etc etc.

He now has 3 goals in 8 matches, clearly has bags of skill and is the new Maradona.

Fitba fans are fickle fuckers...................

3 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

A season is mental, imo.

Myziane Maolida had an absolute car crash on his debut v Rangers - honestly looked like he had never seen a fitba before in his life.

Lots were writing him off, quoting his old boss at Hertha saying he was lazy etc etc.

He now has 3 goals in 8 matches, clearly has bags of skill and is the new Maradona.

Fitba fans are fickle fuckers...................

Yep, I think a year is a long time to wait.

We have Fraser on loan for half a season, I think he needs to play more games if we want to sign him, we can't really judge how good he is just now. 

9 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

It depends entirely on where they've moved from.

Very much this.

Danny Swanson came to us on loan from Coventry with a reputation as being a diving cheat whilst at Utd.

He made his debut away at QOS in the Scottish and, along with our entire team, had a stinker as we got knocked out. He got a lot of stick for trying fancy back heels and giving the ball away a lot.  The team got snowballs thrown at them and Swanson got booed off when subbed.

In retrospect it was probably the worst reception I’ve ever witnessed for a new signing.

He started to turn it round with this goal, and went on to be a star player for us:

5 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

As frustration as it can be, I'm all for giving a player a season to settle.

I mind Tam Flogel and Robert Tomaschek taking a while to show how good they were.

5 hours ago, GAD said:

At St Mirren we give them till about their third touch of the ball.

It's crazy that there are still fans with this mindset in the Robbo reign. He is a classic "project" man when it comes to signings and they nearly all need a bit of time to settle into his methods.

How long you give them is less important than the capacity to change your mind. Far too many people are absolutely wedded to their first impressions of a player so they can say that they ‘called it’. 

There's a self-confessed expert on another forum who usually likes to write off signings before the inks dry on the contract. Citing previous such as club form, relegations or level played at . Good examples being Michael Higdon & Blair Spittal who despite the evidence hugely stacked against the opinion that these are poor signings, said expert is still trying to highlight any negative aspect in their game to confirm that his initial and extensive scouting of their wikipedia page and opinion was indeed corrrect.

As the internet persona becomes more important to some people, from a football perspective I feel there are those that would rather be proved right to the detriment of 'their' club than appear to be wrong (not that they'd ever admit to being wrong). 

I guess it's all down to whether you trust the manager to get the best out of them.

For us, under Goodwin, it felt that players were brought in to do a specific job and if they didn't do that from the get-go then you were out.

With Robinson, you sort of feel that a player will improve.

I can't believe there's people here write players off after 3 touches - amateur stuff. Our signings are usually decided on when they are still a rumour on a ten follower ITK twitter account.

Most Killie fans will tell you that the biggest 180 we ever did on a player was Alan Power. He came to us after playing for a Lincoln City team who'd been on a great FA cup run. We had high hopes, he made his debut in a loss vs Ayr United, and many of us thought he would never feature again. 

Was written off by all of us as fat, shite, not up to it, off the pace of Scottish fitba. 

Disappeared for a month or two and was reckoned to be the answer to a trivia quiz in about 10 years or so.

Came back in to the team when Clarke was appointed and went on to win player of the season for the next two years in a row. 

Aye, it's a weird thing. 

I remember thinking David Murphy was a big jessie and would be eaten alive because he was out with blisters at the start of his time with Hibs. He went on to be the best full-back I've seen at the club. 

On the flip side you have Elias Melkersen. It looked like we had unearthed a diamond when he scored 2 at Fir Park in the cup. He ended up being a lightweight passenger.