Cove Rangers vs Falkirk

Just now, Tamtheman said:

Ht 0-0 cove no shots on goal

We can't  create chances against any team that's half decent its not good enough happy enough to be drawing but if we play like it again second half can see Falkirk winning this. 

Posted (edited)

Falkirk by far the better team that's why they're unbeaten this season. Shocking performance from Cove 1 shot on target a long distance hit and hope just nowhere near good enough. Sitting back was never going to work and got lucky they didn't take the lead sooner. Unfortunately Hartley's time is up and in the summer we should move on. 

Edited by covefan97

7 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

That will do. 17 points clear. 👏👏 Had reservations about this game but hats off to McGlynn and the players. Well done all 

Shows just how good you are. A few concerns with the lineup and some players missing and still you put out a convincing performance. 

Have to say, I was nervous about this game, we absolutely strolled it, totally professional from start to finish, could've been a couple goals up. Big Hendo was MOTM for me. Brilliant bairns, roll on Stirling. 

1 hour ago, covefan97 said:

Falkirk by far the better team that's why they're unbeaten this season. Shocking performance from Cove 1 shot on target a long distance hit and hope just nowhere near good enough. Sitting back was never going to work and got lucky they didn't take the lead sooner. Unfortunately Hartley's time is up and in the summer we should move on. 

WTF game were you watching? Have to disagree with a whole lot of that. I don’t think we sat back at all, we contained them reasonably well in the first half and for a while before they scored we pressured them into some basic errors. Sure they were by far the better team because the have technically better players who are in the ascendancy in their careers but the offside goal was never offside. 

I’m no fan of the manager for anyone who reads bothers reading my posts but against a very capable side who will do well in the championship next season we were most certainly not ‘shocking’. 

Edited by Watson Nimrod

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

WTF game were you watching? Have to disagree with a whole lot of that. I don’t think we sat back at all, we contained them reasonably well in the first half and for a while before they scored we pressured them into some basic errors. Sure they were by far the better team because the have technically better players who are in the ascendancy in their careers but the offside goal was never offside. 

I’m no fan of the manager for anyone who reads my bothers reading my posts but against a very capable side who will do well in the championship next we were most certainly not ‘shocking’. 

Maybe we weren't 'sitting back'  but we seemed to completely stop any attacking threat. We did frustrate them into making some basic errors but couldn't punish them for it. Defended well at times but also got helped by some shocking finishing by Falkirk. The offside goal I don't think was offside need to see it back but now I think about we weren't as bad as I initially said but just frustrated that we conceded so late. Could've offered more going forward though. Always think of games worse than they are right after losing.

Edited by covefan97

9 minutes ago, covefan97 said:

Maybe we weren't 'sitting back'  but we seemed to completely stop any attacking threat. We did frustrate them into making some basic errors but couldn't punish them for it. Defended well at times but also got helped by some shocking finishing by Falkirk. The offside goal I don't think was offside need to see it back but now I think about we weren't as bad as I initially said but just frustrated that we conceded so late. Could've offered more going forward though. 

The issue is Mitch just hasn’t got the mobility you need against the better teams anymore when we have to play slightly deeper, it can give the impression of sitting back.

One of the deficiencies of the manager is he just won’t drop experienced players and try something different.

Connell is more than capable of playing slightly off Burrell and would bring more energy to pressing forward just for starters but Hartley’s inability to take any sort of risk ensures the predictability of our set up has cost us so many points since his return and its  bordering on ridiculous. Playing Connell tonight v Mitch also adds an element of something different. Teams have worked Burrell out now and the 2 Falkirk CB’s had them in their pockets all night till Mitch went off. 

Edited by Watson Nimrod

6 minutes ago, Watson Nimrod said:

The issue is Mitch just hasn’t got the mobility you need against the better teams anymore when we have to play slightly deeper, it can give the impression of sitting back.

One of the deficiencies of the manager is he just won’t drop experienced players and try something different.

Connell is more than capable of playing slightly off Burrell and would bring more energy to pressing forward but Hartley’s inability to take any sort of risk means that that the predictability of our set up has cost us so many points since his return and its  bordering on ridiculous. It also adds an element of something different. Teams have worked Burrell out now and the 2 Falkirk CB’s had them in their pockets all night till Mitch went off. 

Connell deserves to start against Montrose alongside Burrell thought he helped when he came on nearly scored and just actually doing something different surprised Falkirk. It's a shame with Mitch he's still got a part to play for us but it's clear he's not at the level he used to be which is a big shame but also sometimes the service to him isnt great. 

One of the worst offside calls I’ve seen in a while that. Mackie’s definitely a red card too. After last year’s farcical penalty situation can’t say we haven’t had our fair share of luck this season! 

8A34A9CA-BA24-4AF4-94F6-17AE9FB25AAB.png

21 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

One of the worst offside calls I’ve seen in a while that. Mackie’s definitely a red card too. After last year’s farcical penalty situation can’t say we haven’t had our fair share of luck this season! 

Outrageous that was given as offside looking at it now.

Yes a draw would have been unjust on the overall run of play but a combination of us camping in our own half and Falkirk's final ball not quite being to standard gave us a chance of a point last night. Poor decision when a potential point would have meant a lot to our chances of finishing in the playoff spots.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

26 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Missing Donaldson out of frame to the right

5 minutes ago, superandy_07 said:

Missing Donaldson out of frame to the right

Doesn’t really matter where Coll is - the Falkirk defender top left on the 18 yd line is also playing Cove players onside. Watching the highlights I was astonished at how many good players we now have (Tait, Ross in particular) but that poor decision takes a bit of the shine off.

30 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

Standard of refereeing must improve every team gets fucked by some awful decisions yes it can benefit your teams at times but still it's frustrating most of the time. Surely either of the ref or linesman could've known that was onside. 

Just now, covefan97 said:

Standard of refereeing must improve every team gets fucked by some awful decisions yes it can benefit your teams at times but still it's frustrating most of the time. Surely either of the ref or linesman could've known that was onside. 

I don’t think the referee could tell one way of the other. And by the time the linesman watched the ball being kicked forward then looked at the line (where Burrell was advancing beyond the Falkirk back line), Burrell would look offside.

I hate VAR but I guess that’s the principle reason for that technology.

Unlucky, and as much as I detest Hartley, I really mean it.