Artificial pitch vote

Grass pitches are an embarrassment to Scottish football.  Imagine having a game to be broadcast on Sky cancelled cos it rained a bit.

Give me a pitch that looks a bit shiny on TV over a grass bog any day of the week.

Coming in to here from the 'get VAR to f**k' thread and it got me thinking that a similar 'email your club' campaign might be useful (and that having a template like that produced by @velo army in the other thread) is a cracking idea. In the hope it helps, here is a draft:

Dear [name of CEO/supporter group/supporter liaison officer]

I'm writing to implore the club to strongly advocate (and make clear to us as fans how and when this is being undertaken):

a) to oppose the proposed ban on artificial pitches in the Premiership that is being discussed

b) ensure that, as a matter that effects all SPFL clubs, any vote that does take place should i) entail all SPFL clubs being entitled to vote and ii) the rules regarding sufficient support in each division having to be met should be adhered to.

All 42 clubs voted on VAR. And all 42 clubs had to vote with regards to the outcomes of the COVID-forced ending of the leagues. It seems utterly unfair, bordering on a corrupt 'pulling up of the drawbridge', that only Premiership teams would vote on artificial pitches in the top flight. At the time of writing 20 clubs could still potentially be in the Premiership next season, and 32 can potentially be in the Premiership by the start of season 25/26 - having only 12 vote is preposterous.

Artificial surfaces are deemed good enough for the Champions League (see Bodø/Glimt). Grass pitches (see Dundee this very week) are notoriously unreliable in the Scottish climate. The argument that artificial pitches are bad for the game is just wrong.

[Optional: Our artificial surface has allowed our club to connect to [place] and its local population in a way that is unprecedented in our history, allowing [your team] to make major positive contributions the community. This is not something that [your club] or any other club who have (or may have in future) an artificial surface should be denied by virtue of playing in the top flight. The ability for our club to be a hub of the community and make a major contribution to the physical and mental wellbeing of people of all ages in the local community is what makes me truly proud to be a [your team] fan. It is simply not possible to do this without our artificial pitch and having to change this should we ever be promoted would be a massive disappointment and ultimately a long term own goal for the health and success of the club.  End of optional]

Many thanks for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

HIT THE CHANNEL

Edited by HIT THE CHANNEL

11 hours ago, CityDave94 said:

Only 12 clubs from 42 allowed to vote??

So when the elite Premiership breakaway from the SPFL?

Well given the vote is about banning them in the top flight, seems daft giving teams lower down a vote on it

3 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Well given the vote is about banning them in the top flight, seems daft giving teams lower down a vote on it

Nae as stupid as giving a dead club the ability to influence a new clubs entry to the league.

42 minutes ago, strichener said:

Nae as stupid as giving a dead club the ability to influence a new clubs entry to the league.

Point stands though, if/when the vote is passed it will only be a rule for the top division, 

And id argue the same about any division wanting to make changes that they think will improve the game at that level 

If all the clubs in league 2 decided to change something between them all that they hoped would make their life better, theres absolutely no reason for clubs like the OF, hearts, killie etc to vote on it

I get the idea of every club voting for a league wide issue, this isn't this is restricted to one division 

4 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

VAR only applies to the top flight yet that was SPFL wide

15 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

VAR only applies to the top flight yet that was SPFL wide

Maybe because the money is coming out the whole pot?

If not then again is a weird setup, votes for divisional changes should only be voted by clubs in the division 

6 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Maybe because the money is coming out the whole pot?

If not then again is a weird setup, votes for divisional changes should only be voted by clubs in the division 

Absolute nonsense.  The nature of a league is that any of its members can rise or fall as time goes by, and therefore any vote affects them if not now then in the future.

For the third time on this thread, can someone please explain to me why artificial turf should be banned, other than protectionism?

12 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

8 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Point stands though, if/when the vote is passed it will only be a rule for the top division,

Very good point, it's not like anyone outside the top flight will ever play in it in the future. What would they even call that, "promotion" or something?

I'd be surprised/think you were trolling if you weren't a Rangers fan tbf, logic out the window.

Edited by LiviLion

On 13/03/2024 at 09:40, houston_bud said:

Does no one else quite like the fact that a grass pitch changes throughout the season? 

I don't think any of the grass pitches (in the top flight anyway) are horrendous, but I don't mind seeing teams have to deal with a tricky pitch.

No, I’d prefer a decent surface all season.

If they deal with it with continual headers, long balls, and scrappy, disjointed play, then I don’t like that so much. To be fair, some teams still take that approach even when playing on an artificial pitch.

27 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

No, I’d prefer a decent surface all season.

If they deal with it with continual headers, long balls, and scrappy, disjointed play, then I don’t like that so much. To be fair, some teams still take that approach even when playing on an artificial pitch.

I'm not pining for the big mud baths of the 70s or anything. The surface still needs to be decent, but it being a bit harder in summer and softer in winter isn't something that I see as a bad thing. 

50 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Very good point, it's not like anyone outside the top flight will ever play in it in the future. What would they even call that, "promotion" or something?

I'd be surprised/think you were trolling if you weren't a Rangers fan tbf, logic out the window.

So if league 2 decided to all put in artificial pitches because it saves them money during winter months, money badly needed in the lower leagues

Their fans would be absolutely happy that teams like rangers, celtic, hearts etc can possibly put down their vote

I dont care about artifical pitches, if players cant play on them after training all week on them most likely thats their fault, but the vote is for one league only, so really should be kept for teams in the league

And as i said, same goes for lower leagues if clubs wish to change anything in said league

19 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

So if league 2 decided to all put in artificial pitches because it saves them money during winter months, money badly needed in the lower leagues

Their fans would be absolutely happy that teams like rangers, celtic, hearts etc can possibly put down their vote

I dont care about artifical pitches, if players cant play on them after training all week on them most likely thats their fault, but the vote is for one league only, so really should be kept for teams in the league

And as i said, same goes for lower leagues if clubs wish to change anything in said league

I don't even know what you mean with those first two lines, it's the opposite that's happening. Those teams should be allowed to have plastic pitches if they want them, their ambitions of rising up through the leagues shouldn't be negatively impacted by the top flight tories.

If the vote took place tomorrow, Livingston would have a say despite being in the Championship next season and so would Motherwell, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, and Ross County who are still in that fight, whereas Dundee United, Raith Rovers, Partick Thistle, Airdrie, Morton, Dunfermline, Ayr, and Queens Park (all either in the top 4 or within 6 points of it) wouldn't have a vote - and you genuinely think that's fine because it "is for one league only"? Ignoring the silly wording that doesn't point out that it affects clubs who want to aim to be in that league.

Should the vote occur at the end of every single season so the new team(s) in the top flight can have their say? Presumably we'll just vote on which teams are allowed to get promoted instead.

10 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

And id argue the same about any division wanting to make changes that they think will improve the game at that level 

If all the clubs in league 2 decided to change something between them all that they hoped would make their life better, theres absolutely no reason for clubs like the OF, hearts, killie etc to vote on it

I get the idea of every club voting for a league wide issue, this isn't this is restricted to one division 

The whole point of the divisional structure is aspiration to play at the highest level. Raith are directly involved as their near the top now, others will be in that position soon.

17 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Have we abandoned the pyramid already?  Usual OF arrogance on display here.

Just now, strichener said:

Pretty much, most Sevco fans prob can't see anything past them and the other cheek as being relevant, so not surprising it doesn't compute how it affects lower league teams too, and isn't just about who is currently in the top flight.  

8 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

If all League 2 clubs wanted to make it a rule for the league that you must have an artificial pitch I'd absolutely expect every club to vote on it. If we're in the situation where the Prem can just dictacte entry requirements without the okay of everyone then the SPFL needs restructured, and indeed the previous restructure was a waste of time. 

Edited by The Moonster

Just now, strichener said:

Pretty much, most Sevco fans prob can't see anything past them and the other cheek as being relevant, so not surprising it doesn't compute how it affects lower league teams too, and isn't just about who is currently in the top flight.