Artificial pitch vote

Posted (edited)

Fans should be nowhere near the voting on this. They're far too one dimensional and reactionary. 

Exactly the reason I hope Killie never go down this road.

Edited by Pizzo

Team with grass pitch has "home advantage"

Team with artificial pitch has "UNFAIR advantage"

Probably sums up the kind of braindead thinking we're dealing with here. Said it many times before, anyone who 'hates' plastic pitches for anything other than aesthetics is a fucking moron.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Yes.

Would you prefer Dunfermline to go back to an artificial pitch?

My instinct tells me that most fans of clubs with grass pitches wouldn't want to change. 

Just now, houston_bud said:

My instinct tells me that most fans of clubs with grass pitches wouldn't want to change. 

I wouldn't be bothered if they did.

Just now, houston_bud said:

My team has an artificial pitch and I'd prefer grass. Doesn't mean making that a mandatory requirement for league entry is reasonable.

2 minutes ago, bob_mcshug said:

My team has an artificial pitch and I'd prefer grass. Doesn't mean making that a mandatory requirement for league entry is reasonable.

I totally agree, and I'm not for a ban. Granny Dangers asked about whether fans were 'in favour' of artificial pitches, which seemed to me a slightly different question and I was just curious.

3 minutes ago, Pizzo said:

Fans should be nowhere near the voting on this. They're far too one dimensional and reactionary. 

Exactly the reason I hope Killie never go down this road.

St Mirren , as you know , are a fan based club , and the Smisa members pay a monthly sub into a pot , which has now grown to around half a million £. In return for this the Smisa members have a say in a lot of the clubs business , I don't know one member who who would vote for a plastic pitch to be installed at our ground if the idea was mooted and likewise , most would/have voted to ban them . In my opinion there is no place for them in the game , and banning them in the top league will hopefully lead to them being eradicated , particularly if any of the clubs with top league aspirations have them at the moment !

20 minutes ago, strichener said:

I see absolutely no reason to ban them.  If UEFA allow it for their No.1 competition then I don't see why we can't use them at all levels in Scotland.

The fact you’re disagreeing with me just confirms my position.

Can any fan here give a reasoned opinion as to why they want them banned? 

Lots of "I don't like them" posts but no proper reasons given that I can see. 

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Can any fan here give a reasoned opinion as to why they want them banned? 

Lots of "I don't like them" posts but no proper reasons given that I can see. 

4 hours ago, btb said:

Because it's quite clear from results that having a plastic pitch gives you an unfair advantage. I'm assuming Dunfermline have one too.

Sure we're voting out of self-interest just the same as the salty tears of self interest from the clubs with plastic pitches.

Just now, btb said:

But...how does it give an unfair advantage? This is what I don't get. 

Falkirk hosing League 1 this year wasn't because of our plastic pitch (see previous seasons for evidence). Livi didn't run away with the league title. 

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

But...how does it give an unfair advantage? This is what I don't get. 

Falkirk hosing League 1 this year wasn't because of our plastic pitch (see previous seasons for evidence). Livi didn't run away with the league title. 

Familiarity.

Artificial Pitches and Unfair Home Advantage in Professional Football by Jan van Ours :: SSRN

Abstract

In the Netherlands, in the top tier of professional football some teams play their home matches on an artificial pitch while other teams play their home matches on natural grass. This paper investigates whether or not home teams who play on an artificial pitch have an additional home advantage to the regular home advantage. The main finding is, that this is indeed the case. This implies that artificial pitches generate an unfair home advantage in a competitive sport.

1 minute ago, LiviLion said:

You mean... like how every team are more familiar with their own pitch?

That's a false equivalence as there are more grass pitches.

An unfair advantage? What do Falkirk, QoS, Kilmarnock, Hamilton, Raith, Livingston, Alloa, Cove all have in common? 

All relegated in the last 5 or 6 years - just off the top of my head - with their artificial advantage.

4 minutes ago, bob_mcshug said:

An unfair advantage? What do Falkirk, QoS, Kilmarnock, Hamilton, Raith, Livingston, Alloa, Cove all have in common? 

All relegated in the last 5 or 6 years - just off the top of my head - with their artificial advantage.

Well perhaps that’s the answer. 

Lay a natural grass pitch and become successful!

Voting to ban artificial pitches is just another way for some clubs to try to pull up the ladder. “I’m alright, Jack” Tory attitude. The community and social benefits these pitches have brought are of no consideration to these clubs.

5 minutes ago, bob_mcshug said:

......and there were no other factors involved in these relegations, are we meant to assume these were  the only teams relegated during this period - strawman argument.