Strongest 11/McGregor/Ferguson conundrum

5 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

The takes on this thread are laughable. 

McGregor has been outstanding in a Scotland shirt in the past few years. 

We have a shape / formula that works, there's no need to be pigeon holing anyone into the team. Having Ferguson as a sub is a nice problem to have.

The talk of moving McGinn or McTominay to accommodate him is crazy. Both have been pivotal for us behind the striker - so much so it's prompted McGinn's club manager to play him further forward. The suggestion of moving McTominay to striker is outrageous. His late midfield runs were great last campaign - you lose all of that when you put his back to goal.

Our starting XI at the moment is balanced, settled and has players largely playing in their favoured positions. Let's keep it like that.

Aye okay mate... let's just continue with this 11 for the next 100 years and do nothing different

16 hours ago, velo army said:

Calum McGregor is probably the only player in our team I'd class as irreplaceable. Him being out would significantly weaken us and I know it's perhaps controversial but I think he's our most important player. I like Ferguson but it's Apples and Oranges.

I think that's a bit strong. When Tierney is out and we move players around there is a noticeable difference, McGinn and McTominays ability to get forward and score goals are massive factors in the way we play. They 3 would be more irreplaceable than McGregor in my view.

McLean would be a back up to McGregor and Jack can also play that position in a more breaking up play style but the best deep midfielder we have is Gilmour who could do the role McGregor does.

I like McGregor though, our midfield is very strong and our best midfield has Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn and McTominay in it, the rest have to play a squad role and wait for their opportunity.

8 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I think that's a bit strong. When Tierney is out and we move players around there is a noticeable difference, McGinn and McTominays ability to get forward and score goals are massive factors in the way we play. They 3 would be more irreplaceable than McGregor in my view.

McLean would be a back up to McGregor and Jack can also play that position in a more breaking up play style but the best deep midfielder we have is Gilmour who could do the role McGregor does.

I like McGregor though, our midfield is very strong and our best midfield has Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn and McTominay in it, the rest have to play a squad role and wait for their opportunity.

Ken it is just a ludicrous statement to make. McSauce, Mcginn, Robbo, Tierney, Gunn, Gilmour are all ahead of Mcgregor in terms of importance in this team. 

32 minutes ago, The SandDancer said:

Aye okay mate... let's just continue with this 11 for the next 100 years and do nothing different

Nobody said that. You talk about debate and contributions then meet your opposing arguments with extreme nonsense like this. 

25 minutes ago, Streets of Raith said:

I haven't read the thread, but I'm really glad it's Clarke who picks the team and not the diddies on here.

Eh? Not read the the thread but then banging about being glad Clarke picks the team. Total Zoomer.

24 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Nobody said that. You talk about debate and contributions then meet your opposing arguments with extreme nonsense like this. 

Well some of the stuff you're coming away with is not really worth disucssing to be honest, i'll clearly just be wasting my time

4 minutes ago, The SandDancer said:

Well some of the stuff you're coming away with is not really worth disucssing to be honest, i'll clearly just be wasting my time

I'm discussing the topic you created. 

51 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Which banned poster is it? Pep? DRYHORCE?

Not sure, dont think its either tbh. 

Hes got a point tho, the over rating of players on here is ridiculous. 

Mcgregor of celtic (note not real madrid), is apparently so good he can play into his 40s at his discretion🤣 And is so irreplaceable its crazy to even discuss it. Thats McGregor..... of celtic.

Its nearly as bad as the dykes opinions.

5 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Not sure, dont think its either tbh. 

Hes got a point tho, the over rating of players on here is ridiculous. 

Mcgregor of celtic (note not real madrid), is apparently so good he can play into his 40s at his discretion🤣 And is so irreplaceable its crazy to even discuss it. Thats McGregor..... of celtic.

Its nearly as bad as the dykes opinions.

I've not seen anything like that, as McGregor was never seen as the next best thing as a youngster but has got steadily better in just about every season he's played. He has a point in that we can't ignore Ferguson's form and ability but quite simply for all the good midfielders we have McGregor plays a role that alot of them can't really play currently. That's not to say they can't eventually as I never saw McGregor as ever being a deep lying midfielder when he came through.

There is a wealth of actual physical evidence showing how important Callum McGregor is to the way Scotland play. However we should discount all of this because he plays for Celtic.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Whys that Bing fanny now talking about McGregor playing into his 40s? Why are there so many people in this section incapable of understanding the written word? 

16 hours ago, The Moonster said:

McGregor has been excellent for Scotland for years, baffling that folk are doubting him. He'll be a starter for us until he calls it quits. 

McGregor is a good player for us and has been for a while. Some of these opinions tho you would think he was a multiple world player of the year🤣

If others are doing well in better leagues then we should give them the chance. Its not about loyalty, playing for Scotland is an honour. Its about putting the best team we can on the pitch. I'd say McGregor might be under threat as a starter in the near future.