Dundee v Whoever They're Playing This Weekend (Or maybe that should the the other way round)

1 hour ago, AJF said:

I wondered if it might've been better to do the inspection at around 3 o'clock. That way the covers could've been left on for a few more hours while still leaving time for fans to travel.

Said this earlier and still think it seemed a bit short-sighted to do an inspection so early given the forecast.

Is an additional 4 hours of rain likely to materially change the condition of the pitch come the time of the second inspection? If so, then they should've just left the covers on for a later inspection.

11 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Funniest outcome is surely the pitch is fine but game gets called off last minute for some other reason. 

Game delayed cos of the zombies setting off flares again and causing an evacuation. The extra 20minutes means more rain on pitch, game abandoned in 80th minute.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

Said this earlier and still think it seemed a bit short-sighted to do an inspection so early given the forecast.

It was your manager whining for an early decision, and this is the consequence of trying to make an early decision.

The concept of changeable weather is clearly lost on those down Ibrox way, and a significant proportion of our media. 

Just now, The Master said:

It was your manager whining for an early decision, and this is the consequence of trying to make an early decision.

The concept of changeable weather is clearly lost on those down Ibrox way, and a significant proportion of our media. 

And an initial inspection at 3 would've allowed sufficient time for pretty much everyone concerned.

Now it just seems to have led to the situation where the covers seem to have been removed needlessly.

Just now, AJF said:

And an initial inspection at 3 would've allowed sufficient time for pretty much everyone concerned.

Now it just seems to have led to the situation where the covers seem to have been removed needlessly.

It wasn't raining when the covers were taken off. I don't really see the problem in the early inspection? League and club being as open and communicative as possible..

Another example of not really being able to win.

To be fair, if the 2nd pitch inspection results in the game being called off and fans have set off from wherever, then, as much as it is a major inconvenience, its not going to come as an entire shock. There should be no one setting off for this game 100% convinced it should be on and so if you are going to be at great expense to do so, then maybe give the game a miss. In that case, at worst, you have lost the price of the ticket. If you do decide to incur a big cost, then don't moan if it is called off later in the day. Its a nonsense, but it is what it is and no one is unawares. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

1 minute ago, AJF said:

the covers seem to have been removed needlessly

How could the early inspection (which Rangers wanted) have taken place with the covers on?

On Saturday I travelled as far as Dunblane and waited till the game was confirmed as on, I suggest the hordes do the same today.  Visit the cathedral or Andy Murray’s golden post box.

1 minute ago, ropy said:

On Saturday I travelled as far as Dunblane and waited till the game was confirmed as on, I suggest the hordes do the same today.  Visit the cathedral or Andy Murray’s golden post box.

Pray for Dunblane.

1 minute ago, ropy said:

Route already mapped out by Masonic Lodges. 

2 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

It wasn't raining when the covers were taken off. I don't really see the problem in the early inspection? League and club being as open and communicative as possible..

Another example of not really being able to win.

1 minute ago, Leith Green said:

How could the early inspection (which Rangers wanted) have taken place with the covers on?

Because we've been told that the reason for the second inspection is due to the expected rain. We knew already what the weather forecast was, so was there ever any need to carry out the earlier pitch inspection if it was anticipated that additional expected rain fall might be an issue?

This isn't me suggesting it's a Dundee issue, I just don't really get the logic in removing and replacing covers (which we've been told takes considerable time) for the SPFL to conduct a pitch inspection that is contingent on forecasted rain that was already known about.

11 minutes ago, Alan_G said:

Game delayed cos of the zombies setting off flares again and causing an evacuation. The extra 20minutes means more rain on pitch, game abandoned in 80th minute.

Maybe only a 10 min delay, should extinguish pretty sharpish if they throw them on the pitch. Stewards wont even need to do anything.

Just now, AJF said:

Because we've been told that the reason for the second inspection is due to the expected rain. We knew already what the weather forecast was, so was there ever any need to carry out the earlier pitch inspection if it was anticipated that additional expected rain fall might be an issue?

This isn't me suggesting it's a Dundee issue, I just don't really get the logic in removing and replacing covers (which we've been told takes considerable time) for the SPFL to conduct a pitch inspection that is contingent on forecasted rain that was already known about.

I’m guessing the rationale was that if the pitch was unplayable at 11.00, then it definitely wouldn’t be playable in the evening. Thereby allowing an early postponement. Still agree though that just going straight to a 3pm inspection would’ve worked equally as well. 

Just now, AJF said:

The first inspection was to see if the pitch was playable - first and foremost, if it wasn't playable at that time then there is no point in prolonging the decision. The second is clearly to see if the anticipated downpour had effected the areas in question badly enough that it is now deemed unplayable. 

The covers in question aren't full pitch but rather localised ones for the areas in question. Won't take anywhere near as long to lay down and bring back up.

5 minutes ago, ropy said:

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Pray for Dunblane.

Yeah was going to say, has Dunblane not suffered enough.

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’m guessing the rationale was that if the pitch was unplayable at 11.00, then it definitely wouldn’t be playable in the evening. Thereby allowing an early postponement. Still agree though that just going straight to a 3pm inspection would’ve worked equally as well. 

Just now, Pens_Dark said:

The first inspection was to see if the pitch was playable - first and foremost, if it wasn't playable at that time then there is no point in prolonging the decision. The second is clearly to see if the anticipated downpour had effected the areas in question badly enough that it is now deemed unplayable. 

The covers in question aren't full pitch but rather localised ones for the areas in question. Won't take anywhere near as long to lay down and bring back up.

If that were the case, then it probably would've been wise for them to stipulate that if the pitch was deemed playable at 11am then there would be a further inspection carried out later in the day due to the forecasted weather.

It just feels like kicking the can down the road, and while I totally appreciate the weather is not the fault of Dundee, I think the frustrations are simply born out of fans likely expecting a decision to have been made at 11 which hasn't happened.

2 minutes ago, AJF said:

If that were the case, then it probably would've been wise for them to stipulate that if the pitch was deemed playable at 11am then there would be a further inspection carried out later in the day due to the forecasted weather.

It just feels like kicking the can down the road, and while I totally appreciate the weather is not the fault of Dundee, I think the frustrations are simply born out of fans likely expecting a decision to have been made at 11 which hasn't happened.

But that is exactly what has been said by the club...

Following this morning’s scheduled pitch inspection the match referee has decided that the pitch at The Scot Foam Stadium is currently playable. However, with rain forecast for later today both clubs and the league have agreed for a further pitch inspection to take place at 3.30pm today. 

Like I say there will be people, regardless, who will say it has been the wrong way to go about it no matter what Dundee, the referee or the league decide..

Edited by Pens_Dark