Kelty Hearts vs Alloa

With Bobby Wales away, we had Sammo up front. He is not effective as a target man. His first touch is often deficient when he is under pressure. We spent lots of possesion putting balls to him that were often lost. He is a good player in many respects, such as his ability to read the game and get to where an opportunity awaits but he is poor as a target as we move forward. The last 10 minutes of yesterdays game were the only time we started to look a little threarening with Quinn Coulson and Buchanan helping to pass the ball, as opposed to booting it forwards which was playing right into the energetic Kelty teams strength.

Positives last night were the performances of Kurtis and Scouggs.

Can't help but feel that PJ doesn't command his area enough. Defence seems to be improving but still needs work.

Outplayed and outfought by a good Kelty Hearts side last night. They were at us from the first whistle and we never got going first half at all; eleven shots to nil tells that story.

We had defended OK in our box and that plus some poor Kelty finishing meant we got to half-time 0-0. Started much better in the second half and when Cammy scored I felt we would go on to get more.

We didn't press home that advantage though and Kelty, to their credit, regrouped and got their deserved reward, although both  goals were poorly defended from an Alloa point of view, plus the first in particular carrying some luck.

I agree Sammo was poor first half, but I though he did well in the second. LD was more ineffectual, a buzzing Cawley or Scougs would have been better in there (it was a game which would have suited Miko's aggression). As expected Wales a big loss to our style of play.

Have to feel sorry for Cammy despite his goal. That's too many games this season when we have been weak down his flank - not his fault, he isn't a natural left back - but surely Andy G will address that weakness in the close season. On the subject of full backs, Stefan McCluskey looked the part deeper.

We just need to bounce back against QotS. Let's see what Andy does to counter Bobby Goals absence then. Personally I'd rest Sammo and LD.

12 hours ago, Kevchenko said:

Got what we deserved out of that tonight (could argue we didn’t even deserve such a narrow margin of defeat to be honest) as, bar a 10 minute spell at the start of the second half, we were god awful throughout. 

Kelty should have been out of sight by halftime and after scoring (some cross from big Morgyn Neill) we struggled to get out our half for the last 30 minutes. 

Unfortunately it was reminiscent of our early season performances - slow laborious passes across the back before an aimless punt upfield to nobody. On the rare occasion we did put it in the vicinity of Sammon he guided pretty much every flick on to a Kelty player, it was one of ‘those’ Sammon performances. Everything was just too slow tonight, too many touches and it was only really Miko Virtanen that zipped it around a bit when he came on. 

Far too many off it tonight - Scouggs, LD and Sammon in particular - and probably only PJ (and some wasteful Kelty finishing in the first half) to thanks that it wasn’t worse. 

28 minutes ago, tryall said:

With Bobby Wales away, we had Sammo up front. He is not effective as a target man. His first touch is often deficient when he is under pressure. We spent lots of possesion putting balls to him that were often lost. He is a good player in many respects, such as his ability to read the game and get to where an opportunity awaits but he is poor as a target as we move forward. The last 10 minutes of yesterdays game were the only time we started to look a little threarening with Quinn Coulson and Buchanan helping to pass the ball, as opposed to booting it forwards which was playing right into the energetic Kelty teams strength.

Positives last night were the performances of Kurtis and Scouggs.

Can't help but feel that PJ doesn't command his area enough. Defence seems to be improving but still needs work.

On which note, Brian Rice was at the game, standing behind the Kelty end goals.

Hey, it's all about opinions! 🙂 Personally I thought Scougs (and Kurtis) did OK. Kelty's midfield deserve the credit for nullifying them.

Edited by printer

54 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

Couldn't make the game last night but by the sound of it we were awful.

Andy has done an absolutely brilliant job since he came in, probably much better than anyone would have expected. To win 7 out of the last 9 is excellent.

However over the last three games, two of which have been against teams in the bottom half, we have conceded eight goals.

Looking at the stats last night the midfield looked like it created very little as well.

I would bring Kev and Virtanen into the team on Saturday as it gives a better balance.

Need to pick up a decent haul of points over the next three games before a very difficult run in.

As I mentioned, last night was a game which would have suited them, Miko in particular. Saturday's game likely to be different, but I'd be tempted to start one of them.

Disappointing game to say the least , kelty well worth the win , looks like a learning game for Andy to look back on and sort out 

When we were sitting in 8th place earlier this season i would have bitten your arm off for this situation just now , 3rd place and well in with a shout , We will need to bounce back from this result though,  everyone in this league are fighting for playoffs or promotion, not one team is as i type sitting neutral,  its going to be hard fought tight battle in every game going forward .

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

Disappointing game to say the least , kelty well worth the win , looks like a learning game for Andy to look back on and sort out 

When we were sitting in 8th place earlier this season i would have bitten your arm off for this situation just now , 3rd place and well in with a shout , We will need to bounce back from this result though,  everyone in this league are fighting for playoffs or promotion, not one team is as i type sitting neutral,  its going to be hard fought tight battle in every game going forward .

Edinburgh, technically neutral now, no?😜

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

everyone in this league are fighting for playoffs or promotion, not one team is as i type sitting neutral,  its going to be hard fought tight battle in every game going forward .

Very much this. Our next two home games look "easier" on paper, but both Annan and QotS have to win games now. I expect both to be battles (yes, even against Marvin Bartley's side).

Unfortunately with Sammo the team sometimes default to firing the ball long to him and that isn't his game, he really needs to link with those just behind. Printer makes an interesting point about LD being a bit off it in the three behind.

In fairness, very few players were at their norma level last night. There were other games of late - Stirling and Annan at home for example - when we didn't play great yet found a way to win. It looked a little after the goal last night that we might do it again but you won't always get away with it. Important to keep it in perspective. 

One real positive was seeing Stevie out warming up. Would be a huge boost to have his bite and composure back for the run in. 

Edited by Waspie

Tidser showing his experience with that elbow. If we had VAR in league one, that would definitely have been a red.

Agree with Waspie, Sammon up top encourages us to punt balls up to him which doesn't work. Hopefully Roy gets the nod on Saturday. 

59 minutes ago, Rory said:

Tidser showing his experience with that elbow. If we had VAR in league one, that would definitely have been a red.

Agree with Waspie, Sammon up top encourages us to punt balls up to him which doesn't work. Hopefully Roy gets the nod on Saturday. 

*shudders*

Re punting balls to Sammo, I do wonder why that is given he rarely controls them and isn't very good in the air.

Edited by printer

7 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Edinburgh, technically neutral now, no?😜

decided already .

true forgot about them (trying to wipe the memory of them and thier "stadium" forever )

Edited by Vegetableman

Dross last night and we got what we deserved.  The defensive failings reared it's head once again and Andy needs a serious rebuild of that defence in the summer. PJ saved is from going down by a much heavier margin especially in the first half.

Agree with other posts that we only looked interested in the last 10 minutes and we started passing the ball about at pace. Too little too late . 

Really weak defensively. A worry and on that form , the likes of Qots, Stirling and Annan will fancy their chances against us in the coming weeks . Not at the races last night 

8 hours ago, Rory said:

Nonsense, there was barely any contact and i was right in line with it on the nearside. You can't jump without your arms up & the Alloa player went down like he'd been snipered when there was clearly nowt wrong with him. If we're throwing that level of narrative about then the sly kick out on Moore was far more intentional & a straight red....

Edited by leomessi1984

9 hours ago, leomessi1984 said:

You can't jump without your arms up

seen many a sending off with the players arms up regardless of whether you can or can't

23 hours ago, printer said:

Outplayed and outfought by a good Kelty Hearts side last night. They were at us from the first whistle and we never got going first half at all; eleven shots to nil tells that story.

We had defended OK in our box and that plus some poor Kelty finishing meant we got to half-time 0-0. Started much better in the second half and when Cammy scored I felt we would go on to get more.

We didn't press home that advantage though and Kelty, to their credit, regrouped and got their deserved reward, although both  goals were poorly defended from an Alloa point of view, plus the first in particular carrying some luck.

I agree Sammo was poor first half, but I though he did well in the second. LD was more ineffectual, a buzzing Cawley or Scougs would have been better in there (it was a game which would have suited Miko's aggression). As expected Wales a big loss to our style of play.

Have to feel sorry for Cammy despite his goal. That's too many games this season when we have been weak down his flank - not his fault, he isn't a natural left back - but surely Andy G will address that weakness in the close season. On the subject of full backs, Stefan McCluskey looked the part deeper.

We just need to bounce back against QotS. Let's see what Andy does to counter Bobby Goals absence then. Personally I'd rest Sammo and LD.

You will not be outplayed and definitely not outfought by Queens .

Perfect game for you to get going again.