Shocking Stat on Scottish Youth players in the top flight

Looking at the U21s team from last night (and the U19s from the other day) highlights part of the "problem", which is that the best youngsters are moving to bigger leagues or clubs at an increasingly young age.

Doig left Hibs for Serie A, Johnston left Motherwell for Sturm Graz, Morrison left Celtic for Bayern Munich, Mebude left Rangers for Man City, Bowie left Raith for Fulham. Almost everyone in that team had substantial first team experience under their belt, the only real exception was the goalkeeper, and that's not unusual for that level.

In the U19s you've got McArthur, Reid, Campbell, Mahady, Wilson and One who have all left SPFL clubs at 16/17 to go down south too.

8 hours ago, Arab_R_us said:

for context first Belgian game I checked had 3 <21 year old Belgium players, that's in the 1 game!

feel free to check other similar sized leagues to ours. 

Yep, but that was the final 'pre-split' game for the Belgians. Good chance that game was meaningless. What team was it?

Just had a look at our game vs Motherwell to see what important things this particular miniskirt might be hiding. 

I think only one Scottish player under 21 started (Lennon Miller). 

In addition to that, we had a current u 21 international (aged 21) starting and another local 21 year old played 2/3 of the game as a sub. We also started a 23 yo Scot. 

Motherwell also brought on a 20 yo and two teenagers. 

So out of 29 outfield players used, seven were young scots, four of whom were under 21.

I'm not saying if this is good or bad, but it seems like a different picture. 

20 hours ago, Coooombe said:

That stat is meaningless without a comparison. How does it compare to other top tier leagues? How does it compare to 10/20/30 years ago? 

ETA to save you some trouble I've looked at the starting 11s in the 4 games in the EPL from the most recent weekend and they contained a grand total of 0 English players under 21. In the last full game week there were 4 under 21s starting out of 220 total players. A worse ratio than us. 

TBF not being as bad as England is not really much of bar to get under 

56 minutes ago, CharlieWhisky said:

I don’t think Livi have given a single minute this season to a Scottish player aged under 21 

Steven Bradley was 21 for most of the season tbf.

12 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Yep, but that was the final 'pre-split' game for the Belgians. Good chance that game was meaningless. What team was it?

ok i decided to look at another 2 Leagues of similar sized countries.

last game week:

Denmark had 12 playing in 6 games

Croatia had 10 in 5 games

So over 3 times and 4 times respectively. 

No wonder the standard of football in this league is garbage.

This needs to stop. Stop putting jobbers in and give our young players more of a chance.

Surely a rising tide raises all ships ?

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Just had a look at our game vs Motherwell to see what important things this particular miniskirt might be hiding. 

I think only one Scottish player under 21 started (Lennon Miller). 

In addition to that, we had a current u 21 international (aged 21) starting and another local 21 year old played 2/3 of the game as a sub. We also started a 23 yo Scot. 

Motherwell also brought on a 20 yo and two teenagers. 

So out of 29 outfield players used, seven were young scots, four of whom were under 21.

I'm not saying if this is good or bad, but it seems like a different picture. 

the reason I dont include subs as its not a good indicator. My club a few years ago lead the league in minutes to U21 players but it was all smoke and mirrors, no one was starting but 2 or 3 were getting 10 mins at the end of games. They wernt ready to start and were not contributing to the result it was a pretty cynical attempt to pad their gametime to then sell them down south. Kier Smith is a prime example of this.

Id be interested to see how many u21s move to another country compared to other nations, as it feels like we've lost a lot of those to England since Brexit hit. Even Celtic and Rangers are struggling to poach/keep the best young players up here now and rely entirely on hoping the players/parents are fans and want to join.

1 hour ago, Arab_R_us said:

ok i decided to look at another 2 Leagues of similar sized countries.

last game week:

Denmark had 12 playing in 6 games

Croatia had 10 in 5 games

So over 3 times and 4 times respectively. 

No wonder the standard of football in this league is garbage.

This needs to stop. Stop putting jobbers in and give our young players more of a chance.

Surely a rising tide raises all ships ?

We used (20+ years ago, under Ebbe) to rely heavily on homegrown youngsters. Playing them regularly didn't make them any less shite but did nearly get us into a relegation play off. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Pull up the drawbridge, Scotland for the Scots vibe to this ! How many U21s started full stop would be my question as I don't get the feeling the PL is awash with young players regardless of nationality. 

Totally xenophobic undertones here.