Will you ever see your club win a cup?

I seen us win it in 1991 but I don’t reckon we’ll ever win a cup again, especially when we continually can’t get past the likes of Albion Rovers, Ayr, Raith, Morton, Inverness, and a whole host of peer level premiership teams. 

Of the 4 other major finals we’ve reached since 1991 we were unfortunate to meet either of the Old Firm and were soundly horsed in all of them. 

Been to three cup finals (all v Celtic) and watched us on TV in another (v Hibs). Been to three losing efforts in semi finals (v Rangers, v Celtic and one other) and seen us on TV lose one other semi final. So it's not outwith the realms of possibility should we get back to the Premiership and consolidate our position there, but I'm getting on a bit now so it's probably unlikely.

I’ve seen us win a cup and it was a nice time.

We’ve had another 4 cup finals since all against either Celtic or Rangers. Which is fairly shite luck.

It’s not out of the question that we’ll win another but I’ve said it before in our thread: given the choice of winning a cup vs not getting relegated I’ll take extending our run in the top flight every time.

I mean, ideally we win a cup AND don’t get relegated but I’ve seen us win a cup, I’ve never seen us relegated and would prefer to keep it that way.

Not sure if it's just me but I go into every season thinking Saints have a realistic chance of winning either of the major national cup competitions. Whether that stems from having actually seen us do just that or not I don't know but I would be surprised and a tad saddened if every fan of a "diddy" didn't think likewise otherwise what's the point. It's the hope that kills you as they say.

I've seen my team win both the Scottish and League cups in my lifetime, so I'm not doing too badly compared to some. I really thought this might be the year to do something given that Celtic are flaky and Rangers can also be beaten on the right day too, so getting put out with such a tame performance at Pittodrie was a huge disappointment. Ah well, like I say every year, there's always next year. 

14 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

By which I mean Scottish Cup or League Cup. League titles, Challenge Cup and regional cups don't count for the purposes of this thread.

My club has won two Scottish Cups, 1961 and 1968. We were in the final in 1965, 2004 and 2007. We have never won the League Cup and were in the final in 1959, 1991 and 2006.

In my opinion we'll never win the Scottish or League Cup in this century at least (although if Sevco and Celtic f**k off to another league I think we'd have a chance, but no more than multiple other clubs).

Yes, 3 times in last decade, but aside from my own side, the ones that stand out are the '91 final as it had everything, pre during and post match. The Utd '94 win as it was massive for them and against a very very good rangers side and the Killie win v Falkirk at it was so refreshing to see 2 provincial clubs fight it out and not being at Hampden added to it.

I think having won both the league and Scottish cups has given a feeling that we can/will do it again, obviously, but seeing ICT, County and Livi doing it too should give every club hope, even the smaller ones like Morton, QOS and Dundee. 

I would like to see Dundee win either cup and would celebrate no matter which it was.

I am also quite sure that I won't see this happening.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

We’ve had another 4 cup finals since all against either Celtic or Rangers. Which is fairly shite luck.

Absolutely this. 

Here's an (updated) copy and paste of what I've posted before on this very subject - 

Since 2000 there's been 31 cup finals with Rangers or Celtic vs someone else and they've been beaten twice (Hibs and Killie - well done lads). So they've won 93.6% of their finals and we've met one of them in all four of ours. Shite luck indeed. 

And despite all the banana skins that we've successfully broken our neck on over the years, our recent frequency of getting to finals is actually okay. Again, since 2000 we're on 4. Comparable to similar size clubs that's decent - St Mirren with 2, , Falkirk 2, Kilmarnock 3, St Johnstone 3, Inverness 4. Dundee united are on 4 and other city clubs only marginally better - Aberdeen 6, Hearts 6 and  Hibs out in front with 8. Dundee have made 1. 

2 hours ago, mathematics said:

Happy Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

I've family from over in Ayrshire - apparently council services and suchlike are regularly taken away from Ayr and moved to Kilmarnock.

Is it too late to rename the county Killieshire?

I've attended 7 (Seven) Scottish Cup Finals involving Dundee United. We've won 2, lost 2 to Celtic, and lost to St Mirren, Motherwell and St Johnstone.

There can't be many teams outside the OF who have had as many different Cup Final opponents as us in the last 40 years?

The BBC Lunchtime Football preview of the 1971 League Cup Final was "Partick Thistle have no chance". Celtic manager was Jock Stein, they had four Lisbon Lions and Dalglish, Lou Macari, David Hay & George Connelly...Thistle had a bunch of kids who had come through the youth ranks.

After 37 minutes, the Jags were 4-0 up...I was a youngster and wasn't even surprised! I remember as I was leaving Hampden seeing an old guy in tears and hugging his pal saying "I've waited 40 years for this"

Older Thistle fans still talk about Bobby Houston's goal mysteriously chalked off for offside in the 1979 Cup Semi-Final against Rangers - it would have taken us into the final against a Hibs side we had beaten 6-1 a few weeks before. Since then Thistle have had a quite appalling cup record extending to only one unsuccessful Challenge Cup Final and I think one Cup semi-final defeat to Rangers.

I have now been waiting 50 years...I don't really expect to see Thistle win a cup again...but if we do it still won't be as good as 1971.

1 hour ago, CoF said:

Absolutely this. 

Here's an (updated) copy and paste of what I've posted before on this very subject - 

Since 2000 there's been 31 cup finals with Rangers or Celtic vs someone else and they've been beaten twice (Hibs and Killie - well done lads). So they've won 93.6% of their finals and we've met one of them in all four of ours. Shite luck indeed. 

And despite all the banana skins that we've successfully broken our neck on over the years, our recent frequency of getting to finals is actually okay. Again, since 2000 we're on 4. Comparable to similar size clubs that's decent - St Mirren with 2, , Falkirk 2, Kilmarnock 3, St Johnstone 3, Inverness 4. Dundee united are on 4 and other city clubs only marginally better - Aberdeen 6, Hearts 6 and  Hibs out in front with 8. Dundee have made 1. 

M8, nobody gives a f**k about losing finalists.