Final positions, playoffs and such...

Playing against 12 teams twice a season and 3 teams four times a season is clearly not as repetitive as playing against the same 9/11 teams four times.

As Kenny Macintyre would say - my goodness.

3 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Not sure if you're just being deliberately obtuse at this point or are too thick to understand something that's really, really not that difficult.

Either way, cba. Congratulations, you've bored someone else into submission.

You complained about playing sides too much and your solution isn't actually resolving that in any meaningful way. Absolute NAP you'd moan about playing Morton too much if you got them in the League Cup, twice in the league, then twice in April.

There is no sensible solution around it which is why the current system is best. We simply don't have enough teams to have division sizes that would be better in terms of playing teams less, as in general the gulf between full time and part times is too big long term, so a set up where its likely that teams are still competitive by the 4th meeting seems the best compromise.

I'd be fine with 18 team leagues and 34 games, but teams won't give up home games against big supports for smaller crowds, and then the drop off to the 2nd tier would be monumental financially.

6 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Playing against 12 teams twice a season and 3 teams four times a season is clearly not as repetitive as playing against the same 9/11 teams four times.

As Kenny Macintyre would say - my goodness.

You don't think playing 3 teams twice over the course of a month would be repetitive, particularly if you regularly finished beside them?

Imagine 3 consecutive seasons of playing Morton back to back in April.

34 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

The old First Division used to see one club promoted to the top flight.

I’m old enough to remember two clubs automatically relegated and two clubs promoted to the top flight.

No chance will the top flight teams will ever vote that back in. 

It certainly freshened up the top league.

The Self Preservation Football League.

I like the playoffs but not in the current format. 

I think the best way would be to have a shootout from the championship for a second promotion slot and 11th place in top flight just to be automatically relegated. Similar to what happens in England.

That would hopefully dispatch the Perth Farmers. 

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You don't think playing 3 teams twice over the course of a month would be repetitive, particularly if you regularly finished beside them?

Imagine 3 consecutive seasons of playing Morton back to back in April.

You're on the wrong forum Cosgrove.

Beat it.

4 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I’m old enough to remember two clubs automatically relegated and two clubs promoted to the top flight.

No chance will the top flight teams will ever vote that back in. 

It certainly freshened up the top league.

The Self Preservation Football League.

The only "self preservation league" is in the lower tiers, I'm afraid.

46 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

In order to resolve a minor disagreement on the Utd v Ayr thread @Fuctifanowould it be possible to show us what your predictor states now for Utd to win the league? Cheers

image.png.1c39729e59fe2144085a59172037499f.png

Not sure what the disagreement is tbh but there's no scope in the model, or in real life, for a nonsensical GD overturn.

I think the issue with playing teams repetitively is more of an issue outside the top tier. Premiership clubs don't play (their first teams) in the Challenge Cup, and the nature of the playoffs means they can't play another Premiership team in them whereas in the Championship you're guaranteed to do so meaning a minimum of 6 games a season vs the same team before cup draws- and in leagues 1 & 2 you will do so if you finish 2nd or 3rd (or 4th and then beat the team from league above).

I think there's an argument for a bigger second tier -with split if need be- with the current Premiership / Championship play off format, at least if you finish 4th in a league of 14/16 it seems more reasonable to get a shot at promotion rather than 4th in a league of 10.

10 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I’m afraid you’re talking pish.

League Two is the only place where there no automatic relegation.

Funny how these "we just want things to be fair!!" justice warriors seem to demand the top tier gets expanded constantly but never mention the only tier in Scotland that denies people automatic promotion into it.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Funny how these "we just want things to be fair!!" justice warriors seem to demand the top tier gets expanded constantly but never mention the only tier in Scotland that denies people automatic promotion into it.

I’m not asking for the top tier to be expanded.

I’m suggesting a model to be reintroduced that eliminates the bottom two clubs stinking the top league up and making the championship division below a fairer competition where top club gets automatic promotion and the 3 (or 4) teams below to go into a playoff arrangement similar to what happens for decades down south. 

I believe the setup currently favours the 11th side in the upper league. 

2 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I’m suggesting a model to be reintroduced that eliminates the bottom two clubs stinking the top league up and making the championship division below a fairer competition where top club gets automatic promotion and the 3 (or 4) teams below to go into a playoff arrangement similar to what happens for decades down south. 

That's something I also think should happen.

11th/12th relegated, 2nd v 3rd in a one off game for promotion.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

You are of course ignoring the fact that the Lowland League and the Highland League aren’t part of the SPFL.

46 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

You are of course ignoring the fact that the Lowland League and the Highland League aren’t part of the SPFL.

So you're saying it's right, and you agree with, league organisations can refuse to allow promotion into their league if teams are coming from a different organisation?

Admittedly I've not put much thought into the issue and I also accept that it's wildly, ridiculously unlikely to ever happen, but I'd be for a top 2 promoted, bottom 2 relegated scenario, with a home and away playoff between 3rd bottom and 3rd top. 

Playoffs are always unfair as 2nd could be miles ahead of 4th and 4th goes up however they’re here to stay as they give more teams something to play for and leave less meaningless games. Assuming we remain 12-10-10-10 for the foreseeable the only change I’d prefer is bottom 2 are relegated in every division No playoff for 9th/11th this also allows both HL and LL champions automatic promotion, Champions at every level should go up automatically as long as they meet any requirements e.g licence for tier 5. The play off for all SPFL divisions would then be 3rd v 4th and winner play’s 2nd. 

Edited by San Starko Rover

3 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

I think there's an argument for a bigger second tier

There was some talk, I think just before Covid that this had been bounced around clubs with a few murmurs of support largely from mid/smaller FT clubs with a bit of self-preservation that they'd be more secure as being a minimum 2nd tier club.  But like everything it was killed off very quickly when it was clear it would never get through a vote. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

So you're saying it's right, and you agree with, league organisations can refuse to allow promotion into their league if teams are coming from a different organisation?

I didn’t say that. Like everything to do with football this will be down to money. In Scottish football, the first failing is with Doncaster and Maxwell not being able to negotiate good enough TV and Sponsorship deals. 

46 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

There was some talk, I think just before Covid that this had been bounced around clubs with a few murmurs of support largely from mid/smaller FT clubs with a bit of self-preservation that they'd be more secure as being a minimum 2nd tier club.  But like everything it was killed off very quickly when it was clear it would never get through a vote. 

We're Partick Thistle not pushing for it after being "demoted", only to then decide the current set up is perfectly fine after being promoted again?

3 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I didn’t say that. Like everything to do with football this will be down to money. In Scottish football, the first failing is with Doncaster and Maxwell not being able to negotiate good enough TV and Sponsorship deals. 

I've no idea how that has to do with anything we've discussed.

I'm sure nobody will want to mention it, but I'm sure clubs at this level would far rather keep the current set up rather than opening up the second tier. 

I'd be disappointed if we voted to open up the second tier and reduce games to two times a season so we can get the extra benefit of a trip to Montrose or Queen of the South. 

Each league will have some degree of self preservation.